MLV + ImpulZ LUT + Resolve

Started by khayyamkhan, April 16, 2015, 11:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

khayyamkhan

Hey everyone,
What I'm trying to do is get a grasp on the best workflow for grading MLV in Resolve with the VisionColor ImpulZ LUT's. Below is what I've gathered to be the best way to do it but I'm posting here so that anyone can chime in and give me some pointers if I'm not approaching it correctly. I'm breaking it down step by step so you can comment accordingly:

1. Shoot in MLV w/ cinestyle (doesn't really matter right? Or should I be using VisionLog.dcp in camera?)
2. Convert MLV -> dng (which app do you think is best? Cdng's?)
3. Import dng's into Resolve
4. Use Resolve raw settings to apply BMDFilm conversion
5. On first node apply "BMDFilm to VisionLOG" LUT.
6. On later node apply ImpulZ LUT for desired "look"

I found VisionColors website to extremely vague and confusing with how one is meant to implement a combination of their camera profiles and LUT's. Any comments/tips/advice that anyone has is greatly appreciated. As I said I think this will be the first discussion anywhere on the web that is attempting to clearly explain the process from beginning to end and could be useful for many others as well. Thanks to all in advance!

Quick side question:
A. Using the VisionLog.dcp in camera profile is good if I'll be shooting directly to H.264 or ProRes via Ninja recorder but still want to grade using ImpulZ/Osiris LUT's. Correct?

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109