No .raws?

Started by kylemoe, April 16, 2015, 07:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kylemoe

Hey guys,

I just upgraded my 1.1.3 5D3 with the latest nightly build. I run OSX. I'm not getting any .RAWs at all. Only . MLV's. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Walter Schulz

Not using RAW_REC.mo but MLV_REC.mo?

kylemoe

I've tried both and no .raws on either end. The old build I had (sorry I don't remember what it was, a year old maybe, had the older interface) always gave me the M000000.raw, etc.

Walter Schulz

Load RAW_REC.mo. In movie tab turn on "RAW video". Set "RAW video (MLV)" OFF (if any). Retry.

dmilligan

You should be using MLV.

MLV is the new and superior format (you get audio, metadata, and a more robust file format that's more resilient against corruption and more widely supported by various programs including ffmpeg and some data recovery tools). Unless you need the tiny extra performance boost of the old RAW format (for example recording 50-60fps), do not use it.

kylemoe

So I ran raw_rec and no other modules with no problems going through raw2dng. Most have been another module acting up or something.

I then ran MLV with no other modules on and these are the files I ended up with:

http://imgur.com/wsv2apx

Walter Schulz

And your problem is?

kylemoe

raw2dng can't read them and neither can Son of Batch.

http://imgur.com/KvA5uiB

and with Son of Batch, the files don't even show up.

Licaon_Kter

reddeercity

Yes that nominal, you must have formatted your card to Fat32 , those are 4GB file and if you format to exFat then it would be one file
not segmented . To get audio you need to load the Sound Module, but if you don't need sound then there is no reasons really to use MLV ver 2.0 format. Original Raw ver.1.0 will do just find , from a professional view point.

Quote from: dmilligan on April 16, 2015, 08:06:58 PM
Unless you need the tiny extra performance boost of the old RAW format (for example recording 50-60fps), do not use it.
I disagree There is a lot more performance gain then "TINY Extra Boost" there is nothing wrong with use Version 1.0

reddeercity

Quote from: kylemoe on April 16, 2015, 09:04:16 PM
raw2dng can't read them and neither can Son of Batch. and with Son of Batch, the files don't even show up.
Try MLVFS --> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13152.msg127218#msg12721
MlRawViewer 1.3.3 (CDNG/MLV/RAW Viewer & Encoder, Linux/Mac/Win)  -->http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9560.msg91165#msg91165
Or my Go-To App when all else fails!  MLV Viewer to view .mlv (and .raw) files on windows (C#) -->http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8447.msg77759#msg77759 
(PC & Mac OSX version)

dmilligan

Quote from: reddeercity on April 16, 2015, 09:15:17 PM
if you don't need sound then there is no reasons really to use MLV ver 2.0 format. Original Raw ver.1.0 will do just find , from a professional view point.
Metadata and a better, more robust file format, are very good reasons, especially if you are a "professional". A good reason to use raw would be if you are not "professional", and don't care about metadata or data integrity or recovery.

Of course I'm not "professional", but I use MLV because I do care about metadata and data integrity/recovery.

Quote from: reddeercity on April 16, 2015, 09:15:17 PM
I disagree There is a lot more performance gain then "TINY Extra Boost" there is nothing wrong with use Version 1.0
got any proof?

reddeercity

?
It's My Opinion , You Must heard Of That .
And Yes Any Camera other then The 5D3 suffer greatly from MLV , It's Known fact. (search it)
And Please ! Take a Brake from the Attitude !  I'm not here to play games with you, if you think you are better then me because
your a programmer , well that your Hang-up . I just tell it how it is, Sorry if you don't like that.
Since the beginning of raw video, I have daily Work with either formats and in the end There is Absolutely No different between them .
Video is not a Hobby for me like ML is to you , this is how I make my living. 

Audionut

He shared an opinion.
You disagreed with that opinion, without any proof to back the claim, which isn't the first time you've done that.
He asked for proof.
You're getting your knickers in a knot.

I've asked you previously to stop posting about builds that are months out of date.  This forum is a development community first and foremost, and that development is driven by people using and testing the latest builds, and then providing useful bug reports.

When you continue to harp on about some build from last year that contains 3 or 4 extra lines of resolution, you are directly circumventing the development drive of this project.  Since you now want to attack a respected developer of this project (someone who drives this project forward) because he shared his opinion, and simply asked for you to provide proof of your ancedotal evidence, my tolerance for this behaviour has been exceeded.

This is a hobby project developed in free time.  It is not maintained to support a professional environment and the shitty attitude of those people who have over expectations of their entitlement.