Canon 700D / T5i

Started by nanomad, June 01, 2013, 12:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

axelcine

@kryzysord - when I first installed ML I opened the Modules tab and <SET> all modules to load on next open. Then I shut down my camera and turned it on again. All modules loaded without problems.

The Oct. 1 platform is very stable, and it is up-to-date.

ML has a rhytm built in. When you work your camera too fast, you seem to rush your ML - and your camera. Take a little time, take a breath. Look in the viewer, press the shutter button halfways and see the software work for you. Half-press the shutter. Read the numbers in bottom of the viewer and enjoy the wonderful picture, take another breath and press the shutter all the way. Love the camera.

Let's see a lot of fine pictures from you.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

kryzysord

Quote from: axelcine on October 28, 2015, 06:53:18 PM
@kryzysord - when I first installed ML I opened the Modules tab and <SET> all modules to load on next open. Then I shut down my camera and turned it on again. All modules loaded without problems.

The Oct. 1 platform is very stable, and it is up-to-date.

ML has a rhytm built in. When you work your camera too fast, you seem to rush your ML - and your camera. Take a little time, take a breath. Look in the viewer, press the shutter button halfways and see the software work for you. Half-press the shutter. Read the numbers in bottom of the viewer and enjoy the wonderful picture, take another breath and press the shutter all the way. Love the camera.

Let's see a lot of fine pictures from you.

Good thinking [emoji14] unfortunately, sometimes you can't work slow but I will remember this

axelcine

Being a press photographer and a journalist for 34 years I can only confirm what you write. We do not always have the time to play with the camera.

But you have to! Have it in your hand some time every day, in the weekends and in the evenings. It's a part of you. I promise you: ML will work for you as it works for me every day.

Good luck and let's see some of your photos.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

Unnivversal

Hi Does audio monitoring using headphones for the t5i 700d work yet?

Walter Schulz

Please consider using Search. Or go to post 811 and below.

axelcine

Hi, all you 700d guys and girls out there... Go get the latest ML package. Santa Clause has been here with an early gift! The ML devs have done it again - the latest ML is gooooooood! (Okay, the other nightlies were good too, and with more than a hundred updates since May 2014 the seriousness and dedication of the devs can't be denied.)
My Magic Zoom used to flicker a little. Now it's totally flickerfree. Several other issues have been addressed; A1ex and Nikfreak have been working overtime. Thank you, guys. It's really appreciated out here. ML simply gets better and better. There is a lot of work being done all the time by the devs, and judging by many of the more trivial posts in this forum I'm not sure, we always recognise them the way they deserve to be recognised.
A lot of my buddies spend a lot of time telling me what they can do with their Sonys and Panasonics. Whenever I start the ML making magic with my cam, I really do tell them exactly what they can do with their cameras!!!!!!

Felipe

Thanks to nikfreak and A1ex yes the cameras feel very solid even being able to increase bitrate, something magic happened
650D-700D

rtf

I am thinking of buying this camera. How long can you record RAW with 50fps and 60fps at a resolution of 1280x720?

axelcine

ThankMeLater http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=14561.msg141333#msg141333 wrote:
- Card is limited to 40 MB/s write speed ! ( To make this clear: You can only shoot lower resolutions continuously. I haven't shot with my 700D for a while but i remember the highest resolution is a bit higher than 1280/720. This also means your focal length gets cropped even further ! Simply said you can only shoot a "smaller" picture. This is what i dislike most about the 700D. If you only shoot shorter clips - like 20 seconds f.e - you can go higher with the resolution and the problem with the focal length decreases.

The t5i is a very nice camera. I've had one for two years and I'm very happy with it. I use it mostly for photo (I teach photo) and h264, but will be doing some RAW moviemaking over christmas.

Nihal196

Hello everyone,

I've been using ML on the T5i for about 6 months now to shoot my short films and other projects, but now I want to make the jump to RAW video. I have watched a ton of tutorials on youtube and have learned quite a bit about it, but I still have a few questions that I can't seem to find answers to.

1. Since the T5i can only shoot at a max of 720p for RAW, I've noticed that the camera crops in to the footage I am shooting, effectively making the focal length longer. Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is what I have seen in my tests.

2. I mainly shoot all my short films in 2.35 or 2.40, and I've noticed that I cannot have the 2.35 bars come up on screen while recording in RAW. This has become a huge problem for me, since it shows up when I am recording normally through the camera. What can I do to change this?

3. This may be a follow up question to question 1, but what should I set my "Preview Options" to under RAW Video (MLV)? I've had it set to multiple things, but I am not sure which one is recommended to people who exclusively shoot video.

Any help with these questions would be great, you guys! I am sorry for being such a noob.

Creelove

I do a lot of macro focus stacking using Magic Lantern with my Canon T5i. I use strobes, so I need a way to trigger them. Because of Canon's limitation on 3rd party flashes in Live View, I'm not able to my hot shoe RF trigger or PC sync adapter. Optical triggering from the on-board flash doesn't work well because I don't have line-of-sight with the optical sensors of my strobes. My workaround is to bounce the on-board flash to an optically triggered speedlight which then triggers the strobes.

I previously owned a Canon T2i and was able to use the Magic Lantern 3rd party flash in Live View "hack." I know this option is not part of the T5i Magic Lantern build. Is there any hope in revisiting this in the future? Can anyone provide a build that has this option enabled?   

As much as I love my Canon T5i, it's such a big limitation that I'm considering buying a used Canon 60D/70D/7D which has the ability to disable silent shooting in Live View (supposedly fixes this problem.)

UPDATE

I pulled out my old Canon T2i that I'm selling and tried focus stacking using ML with the the 3rd party flash in LV option enabled. It doesn't work with focus stacking.

I ended up downloading a trial version of Helicon Remote for Windows connected to my Canon T5i via USB. It does exactly what I need for focus stacking. It goes into LV between focus steps and gets out of LV at each focus step to take the picture. The flash works the same as when I'm taking pictures outside of LV. In my case, it's a shoe-mounted generic radio trigger connected to studio strobes. No need to use optical triggers.

Maybe this function can be added to the ML focus stacking routine in the future?

jim_blind

Hi everyone. My question is not related to ML, but probably you know the answer.
Recently I've started to have video recording problems. The video stopas automaticaly from 2 minutes or even from 30 seconds of recording. I'm using SanDisc 16GB Class 10 with 40mb/s and don't know the solution for this problem. Just before stopping the record camera shows increasing indicator at the top right corner. Sometimes this indicator strats to grow, but after few seconds drops down and recording was not interrupted. Also, jointly with this indicator appears other indicator from ML, at the right top corner near recording red dot, it shows increasing percentage.
Please help.

atpt

Error Loading Module MLV_SND Firmware 114   Built on: 2015-11-15 01:12:39 +0000    |   Canon 700D/T5I

Scanning modules...
Load modules...
load: MLV_SND.MO
Linkking...
tcc: error: Undefined symbol 'mlv_rec_get_free_slot'
tcc: error: Undefined symbol 'mlv_rec_queue_block'
tcc: error: Undefined symbol 'mlv_rec_release_slot'
tcc: error: Undefined symbol 'mlv_rec_get_slot_info'
tcc: error: Undefined symbol 'mlv_set_type'
tcc: error: Undefined symbol 'mlv_rec_set_rel_tymestamp'
[E] failed to link modules

Walter Schulz

Read bottom lines:
"Adds sound recording functionality to mlv_rec."
But you haven't mlv_rec.mo loaded ...

axelcine

I have been trying for a couple of hours now to reproduce your problem. I have turned all modules off and back on again while shutting the cam down in the middle of the process and even taking out the battery in the middle of the process - I feel like I have tortured my ML. But as soon as I turn the modules on again, they load on next power-on like they should.
I would be tempted to format the SD card in my card reader, format again in the camera, copy the contents in the zipped package (700d.114) to the SD card via the card reader and insert it in the cam. And finally update the .fir from the Canon update menu. If the error repeats itself, try to re-download the 700d.114 and go through the whole process once more. I'm using the latest build just like you on my 700d, and here it works like a dream. Good luck.

Walter Schulz

Axel, this error is a very common one caused by not paying attention to detail (= Bottom line info). MLV_SND requires MLV_REC to be loaded. Try to run it without and the very error messages will be seen.
(I take it for granted your message is directed to atpt's problem because I don't have any related to modules.)

axelcine

That's it, of course. I just never tried to load the one without the other - I mean, why on Earth would anyone want to record sound to not-recorded RAW video???

Reloading the SD-card with ML is always a good exercise, like writing on a black board 100 times "I must load MLV_REC before MLV_SND" and the more you handle the basic stuff, the sooner you understand the overall logic.

atpt

Thanks for your help.
Using a 700D how can I monitoring/headset the Audio? What option to enable?

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Builds -> Features -> Audio

Sorry, no avail!

Demram

Hi everyone!, I been trying to use the focus stacking mode in my 700d (last update of ML with canon firmware 1.1.4) but I haven't succeed with it. I have changed the different parameters in focus stacking and focus settings but after running the focus stacking mode I never get pictures with different focus :/. Someone else have this same problem? I had tried with different tutorials on internet but I keep failing at it (the tutorials are always for other camera models).

Walter Schulz

Camera model used doesn't matter. It's v2.3 vs. nightly build what counts. And you are on 700d and 2.3 is not available.

ML focus stacking is not that easy to master. There are two modes. The easiest for beginner is that one:
- Follow Focus OFF
- Focus settings -> Step size 2, Step delay 200 ms (just for starters)
- Focus Stacking -> Focus steps / picture 4
- Open Liveview and focus an object
- Focus stacking -> Num. pics in front 0, Num. pics behind 2
- Run focus stack

Compare results and report here success or failure.

Demram

Walter, thanks for your answer!. I have tried like that before, anyway I re-did it and the focus is almost the same in every picture (not noticeable at all, even zooming in), I'm starting to think that my autofocus is a little damaged or something. Should I try with more or less focus steps to change more the focus between pictures?, or change the step size?

Sorry if the questions are too obvious, I'm very noob with ML (I have only used the motion detection mode, the intervalometer, and some overlay).

Walter Schulz

For debugging: Just increase Step size and Focus steps.

If you intend to increase Num. pics behind for debugging you may want to use
Shoot tab -> Shoot preferences -> Snap Simulation ON
Shutter/mirror will not be actuated and you will have to look into LV to see focus plane changing from front to rear.

EDIT: Focus tab -> Focus Settings -> Step wait ON.

IFTEKHARRS

My firmware is 1.1.3 for 700D
But only download option available is 1.1.4.
What to do ?

axelcine

Upgrade your firmware to 114 - you may find the new firmware on many regional or national Canon sites. Once updated, installing the ML is very easy and virtually foolproof - at least I made it work!!!!!