Canon 700D / T5i

Started by nanomad, June 01, 2013, 12:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Picture styles are for JPEG/H.264 only. RAW stills will "use" picture styles in Canon DPP but it's just sliders moviing up/down or left/right. And embedded JPEG will get generated in cam using picture style.

rickmc3280

Hi, This is my first post and I've been learning programming and arduino outside of anything to do with the T5i, but what I was wondering when messing with these projects is if it is possible to get higher quality video from the camera trying either of 2 different things. 

1. Have an SD adapter kind of like the wifi cards that streams the data to a nearby receiver or
2. Using Magic Lantern to stop the processor from writing to the SD card and instead focus on sending the video to the HDMI out as a type of clean HDMI out. 

From my rudimentary understanding of the problem with these processors is that they overheat with 4K video after so long, so what if we could somehow stop the processing because the heat is created when electricity flowing for whatever functions.  I have always thought that more processing power was needed for the conversion of the video in its larger format and encoding it.  Is it possible at this point to drop the encoding for 4k and just do an output and use less resources or does it use more because the amount of data its transmitting? Is it possible to eliminate a heat source?  Any thoughts?

Regardless, I was wondering if anyone had any particularly great experience with getting 4k Video from the T5i or any workarounds for clean video yet?

Is RAW video larger and downscaled or is simply more data that is unprocessed?

Are there any plans to update the T5i ML files anytime soon?

To add:

I do realize that ML has RAW video and other video settings/compression settings, and I've used it, but it froze up my camera so I removed it, but I cant help but want to add it back again now that I have an external mic and can eliminate that as a possible data throughput problem.  My biggest concern is what is the safest alternative for getting 4K video from the T5i without damaging the camera based on yalls experience.

Walter Schulz

SD-card interface in 700D is limited to about 41 MByte/s in write mode.

- An adapter to external storage will have to be connected to this very interface -> No enhancement
- Reprogramming SD-card interface/HDMI interface is outside ML's scope (not messing with Canon's IP) and/or - at time of writing - way beyond todays knowledge about how the cam works.

EDIT: Overheating is not a big issue with 700D but data streams are. Do the math:
Horizontal pixel * vertical pixel * bit depth * frame rate / 8 = Byte/s
Example:
1280 * 720 * 14 * 24 / 8 =  38707200 Byte/s -> About 37 MByte/s
Or use rbrune's calculator: http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

And there is always moiré/aliasing in non-crop mode without additional filters.

rickmc3280

Thank you for putting it in perspective in regards to raw data stream and SD card write out. 

Guess its better to purchase the quality you want instead of hacking/modifying it sometimes. 

At such a low resolution I would have figured raw output would not be a problem without needing encoding... technically its not, but its on the top end and thats assuming peak efficiency/no errors of the data stream.

Thanks again!

IBIRRU

Hello everyone,
I try to knows better the ML option on 700D.
I experiment with "Movie crop mode" option on MOVIE tab.
I found (probably you know before that) that it took movie exactly 1720x979 expanded digitally to 1980x1088.
This is just a mere 10% and if you increase the CBR factor to reduce the compression you get a good 8 bit MOV video ready to use and without pink/blue dots.

Why in this 1.1:1 pixels crop mode we don't get pink/blue dots? The little (10%) interpolation cancel them? :-\

I will ask the same in the Pink Dot Remover thread

EOS 700D 1.1.5, EOS 500D

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

pkindt

Dear all,

i solved the problem with the external  flash in live view freezed the GUI. It works flawless now. It required only small modifications to the ML code.

Could one of the developers kindly contact me and tell my how i get the code into the repository such that everybody can use it? I never contributed to ML, yet.

Best regards

Philipp

nikfreak

[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Felipe

wow Philip is like Felipe, You got it
650D-700D

pkindt

Thanks Nikfreak. I will open a pull request at the weekend.

Best  regards

Philipp

mk11174

Hi, was curious on your tweak to the code in fixing this live view freeze issue on the 700D, can you share what you found? I am the one who ported this model so am curious on any fixes found of course? Thanks!
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

lorenmstuber

Hi all.

I know audio monitoring is a highly requested feature and already supported on some other Canon models.

Sorry, this has probably been asked before, but is it possible to have the feature ported onto the 700D? If so, is anyone currently working on it?

axelcine

Dear lorenmstuber and all you out there wanting to monitor audio on your Canon jewels...
Recording sound with the built-in mics is very rarely an option, only usable in very controlled acoustic environments. I did it once in Sicily, where the conditions were prime-class-A-super-deluxe.
A much more safe approach is to record the sound with an external mic such as the MyMyk or the various models from Zoom – there are many equally excellent options from many manufacturers out there,
For simple sound recordings I use a Sony IC Recorder ICD-UX71 with a good headset – and connect its headset-out to the camera mic-in. This little setup works without a flaw – and it cost me less than $100:
Sony ICD/Headset-Out > Canon 700d Mic-In via 3.5mm jack splitter (2xfemale > 1 male).
Sony ICD/Headset-Out > Headset via 3.5mm jack splitter (2xfemale > 1 male).
Sony ICD/Mic-In > Any microphone with 3.5mm jack, here with 12 feet of cable.
The shotgun mic may be fixed to the camera with the Sony ICD/Headset combo, and – voila – we're recording monitored audio! The Sony ICD records the sound at the same time as the camera, but (normally) with higher fidelity, and the recorded sound may be post processed in any audio editor. During the recording, ml's audiometer works as an extra means of control. The camera-recorded sound may serve as a sync.
A lot of us indie-video-nerds are on a budget – that's why so many of us are interested in constructing sort-of an "audio out" on our 700d (650d, 70d etc.) But sound is 80% or even more of the video or movie experience, so... please NO SHORTCUTS HERE. Even my little experimental setup works lots better than the built-in mic whenever the acoustics are less than ideal.
I have been sitting on my hands since Sep 9, when you posted your question, waiting for a reply from the real experts, the hardcore ml users. Many posts in this and other threads confirm my point of view.
- https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/325/2221
- http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52328221
- http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-crop-sensor-hd/488735-whats-best-way-monitor-audio.html
And even with more pro cameras like the 5dIII the built-in mic doesn't always deliver the optimal sound. Why? Because the built-in mics are never at the exact spot, where the sound is made. You may zoom in on a situation with your lens, but there is no way to zoom in the sound with the built-in mic – if you "zoom" (amplify) the sound - turn up the gain - you amplify background noise as well. Unprofessional!
Ml is in fact very helpful when recording sound with (the built-in mic, RARELY), or an external (shotgun mic, a wireless or a cabled) close-up mic placed right where the sound is created. When recording your video you have two sound bars on top of the lv screen, and with a little bit of exercise you are in fact able to monitor the sound. Using something like my little setup just makes the task easier.
But let's try with an example: You're at a family function, and Uncle Bill is holding a speech. Put the external (wireless or cabled) mic right in front of him. Or put a small dictaphone like my Sony in his breast pocket. Third option (and third quality) is a shotgun mic on the camera held as close to Uncle Bill as possible to avoid the clatter from the silverware or the burping of the quests. The last and worst option is the built-in mic. If you can place the camera 2 or 3 feet away from Uncle Bill you may get an acceptable recording. With the camera further away the sound deteriorates with the distance squared.
I got my first camera (Nikkormat FT) in 1966, became a photo journalist 1981, was an international radio reporter 1994-2004 and a film producer with DR, the largest Danish radio/tv broadcasting organization 2004-6. Today I teach photo and cinematography. When I compare the equipment we had back in '04-'06 with Canon's excellent cameras combined with ml, we have certainly come a far way. Please - don't make a mockery out of present-day video production by making crappy sound.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

axelcine

I got the idea, that you'd want a picture of my "sound system" setup, so...
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

axelcine

BTW - I have several SD-cards with ML. When I change settings, the changes are - of course - only stored on the card, I currently use. So in order to copy the settings to my other cards, I place the "changed" SD-card in my card-viewer, open the ML folder and copy the SETTINGS folder to my computer. Then I copy this folder to the right folder in all the other SD cards. This way I make sure, that my settings are the same, no matter which card I use. Piece of cake.

DeafEyeJedi

I actually like this set-up in your photo ... Plan on trying your idea soon on my Cameras and Thanks for sharing @axelcine!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Dolrak

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and I havn't had the time to check all the topics yet but from what I've been able to gather, no one has spoken about ML and Canon's 'new' release the 760d? I've purchased a 760d recently and I was wondering if it was possible to mount Magic Lantern on it. If anyone has any information regarding this I'd appreciate very much.

Thanks in advance!

Walter Schulz

No. Not possible. Act like there will be no ML version for this cam ever.

Felipe

760D has a very low bitrate like half of previous models, a more compressed audio codec , in other words 760D is a downgrade to the 700D  >:( :(
650D-700D

Walter Schulz

Don't know which "bite" rate you are referring to. SD-card interface is good for 70+ MByte/s, though.

Felipe

T5i : 1920 x 1080 (30 fps*1/25 fps/24 fps*2): 330 MB/min.
760d : Standard: 1920 x 1080 (30 fps/25 fps/24 fps): 216 MB/min.

Besides now it has acc codec for audio,
o yes is 50% drop in bitrate.
650D-700D

axelcine

Hi again - I bought a 760d recently, and I love it. BUT... I'll never leave my 700d at home. With ML it's an outstandingly good workhorse, and with my VH4 Viewfinder it's a jewel to work with.
I use my 760 for an enormous lot of photography, HDR, street phot, portraits, you name it. But video work is always done on the 700d. If I'd need a #2 cam with ML, I'd go for a 70d. It has almost the same features as the 760, but Canon didn't tamper with the bitrate - and we have a perfectly good ML for it.
Rewriting ML to suit the 760 would be a nice passtime, but since the camera obviously is a bit downgraded on the video side, one would fare better with the 70d. As I said, I love the 760d, but I'm very realistic about what it can and what it can't do.
And to be honest... I have used it as my b-cam, using Canon's own video settings. For quick-and-dirty jobs it's actually quite okay. Maybe Canon stepped the 760d a little bit down to allow room for the 70d?
My advice to budding vidiots like myself is to consult the ML forums before buying a new cam.

Speedping

Hey, I started using ML and I love it. It really helps focus my old manual prime lens. I only have one problem: Zoom Peek is all jerky and keeps chopping all the time, it's really distracting. Is it a known issue? Can it be solved? Thanks!

ShootMeAlready

"Regardless, I was wondering if anyone had any particularly great experience with getting 4k Video from the T5i or any workarounds for clean video yet?"

I think we need a a new thread on clean outs, as the solution for all rebels is the same. Its the same for 7D, 6D, 5D, 5DMKII, 70D.
- If you plug an HDMI cable in the LCD goes blank!!! What a mess JMHO.
- You will want a display. you can plug in a usb cable and use a PC/EOS utility or Android/DSLR Controller app. Through the usb display you can still control the camera, see its picture and set AF.  Note the Android solution, means you could use your phone!
- If you just want to manual focus your live stream, this is easy you dont need Magic lantern.  Select Live View focus, and put the lens in MF.  If you cycle through INFO, you should find a clean display.
- If you want to AF, you'll need Magic Lantern.  The feature set: select global draw off, select arrows off, and set clear overlays to "always".  This will get you clean HDMI out, and retain AF (which is set on your USB display/software).
- Now plug in a special cable which is (micro) hdmi, and hdmi to your hdmi recorder of choice.  I like Hauppage HD PVR II, with a laptop.
- Now you can live stream HDMI to a hard drive.
- Now the cool part is that HDMI streams 4:2:2 compression!!!  where as H264 is only 4:2:0. 
- Now the very uncool part is that Canon lames most models except for 5DMKIII, 7DMKII.  So you cant get 1080p straight out.  You can stream 720p, which is good enough for Skynet channels.
The ML wiki states: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/HDMI_Output
" HDMI output from the Canon HDMI is limited to 1620x1080 (3:2) while the camera is not recording (which is its stream mode).
This requires the user to crop the footage from the external recorder to 1620x910 (16:9) and then resize it to either 1280x720 (79%) or 1920x1080 (119%)."

ML only up res. for RAW to about 2k(XXD series) to 2.5k (5D series), no Canon DSLRs shoot 4K.  If you want 4k, try time lapse shooting, then play with Twixter/AE to interpolate skipped frames or speed it back up (???Report back as Ive never done this but seen a few others who did). And BTW this means your 4K would be 14 bit raw (more bits than a BMD ursa).  This is a massive work around, and probably wont work for fast motion, ... its probably a workflow from hell. 
T3i+ML & 70D.112+ML, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Sigma 18-35 1.8, 50-150 II 2.8, 50 1.4, Canon 28 1.8, 35 2, 85 1.8 "Shoot Wide and Prosper"

kryzysord

Latest version (magiclantern-Nightly.2015Oct01.700D114) of ML for 700D has many bug, magiclantern-Nightly.2015Aug18.700D114 was more stability. Today I'm working on movie plan to take some pictures. After few photo ML shows "modules loading" while any modules wasn't enabled and I need to turn off camera:/ next is "device was not correctly turned off, turn of and turn again" - here only take off battery repair problem. Next is zoom in preview, right button "+" zoom max. On clear software progrissively zoom photo. Sorry for my english, take this sugesstion in next update.