Canon 700D / T5i

Started by nanomad, June 01, 2013, 12:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felipe

650D-700D

mk11174

No problem, glad to share until its accepted in the nightly.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

Felipe

So far 1.1.4 working fine
650D-700D

CoolBlueDog

I'm not sure where to report bugs but I found a minor annoyance (700D/T5i).  When the camera is used in self-portrait video mode (ie the viewfinder LCD is flipped out and to the side so that you can look at yourself), the ML menus are reversed.  It seems to happen when you go into a Canon menu and then back out (ie ML doesn't remember it's rotation/flip settings).   A quick fix is to move the viewfinder back and then forward causing it to re-adjust itself and display correctly.

Thanks for the work.  It's a wonderful addition to the camera :-)

whitep

Hey Guys,

I am absolutely new to ML and i started reading the first few pages.
Short question. I recently purchased the 700D because of the Cachback
Event by Canon and it came with FW 1.1.3. Will I be able to use ML
by downloading the latest nightly (copying files on SD and activate by updating
firmware)?

Does the 700D use the features of Dual Iso?

Thanks.

garry23

whitep

Thanks for that Link. I allready downloaded it. But this is a nightly right?
Are there any stable releases for 700D. Do I still have to start a FW Update
even if I am allready sitting on 1.1.3?

How high is the chance to brick a camera? I really would like to use the
improved menu and superb settings but my cam is 1 Day old. Should
I wait or should I give it a try=?

garry23

There are 'only' nightlies now, as ML is managed on a rolling update basis.

Only you can decide if you wish to use ML, like thousands of others  ;)

Cheers

Garry: a very happy ML user

Datadogie

Search for bricked camera. You will find a few but if you read all the posts you will find the problem is always resolved. Even Canon have agnowleded that the guarantee is still valid as long as ML is not the problem.
T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

axelcine

Hi - being a newbie I certainly do recommend, that whitep reads the 700d thread in its entirety. It's a tale of research, BW-Engineering, intimate knowledge of what users need and want from their camera. There's nothing to be afraid of - you'd have to be some kind of a Disaster Expert to brick your camera, if you follow the very simple instructions given with the nightlies. It is really very simple. But ML is a veritable smorgasboard of elegant and genious solutions for both stills and movie. ML is an expansion of my mind when shooting footage, using the follow focus, checking focus, monitoring audio input etc. etc.
The software sitting beside the ML-folder in the package only changes a flag in the camera software to allow it to check for 3rd-party firmware. If at some later date you'd like to remove all traces of ML in the camera, then just re-install FW 113 - links are found elsewhere in the 700d-thread. But -  trust me - you'd never want to do that, once you have acquainted yourself with ML. I simply love it.
axelcine
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

Luminux

Hi,
this is my first post here, and I hope someone can help me.

I used to shoot videos with my 600D and ML, using Highlight Tone Priority [ON] and ML ISOs [multiplies of 80].
To set the 80x ISO, obviously, I set ML Digital ISO [-0.3EV], and ISO Selection [ML ISOs].
So, at the end, I have Equivalent ISO [160], which derives from a Canon analog ISO [200] minus a ML Digital ISO [-0.3]

The new 700D, when I set Highlight Tone Priority [ON], boosts the Canon digital ISO to [+1EV] (whitout the possibility to bring it to 0!) which is absolutely bad, and gives more noise.
Setting ML Digital ISO [-0.3EV] gives the multiplies of 80, but the resulting Equivalent ISO derives from a lower ISO digitally boosted!
So the Equivalent ISO [160] derives from a Canon analog ISO [100] plus a Canon digital ISO [+1EV] minus a ML Digital ISO [-0.3]

This doesn't make sense and just boosts up noise.

Plus, the ISO Selection doesn't exist anymore, so what I think is the camera uses Canon ISOs instead on ML ISOs, and that happens for this reason.

Hope someone could answer :)
Thanks!

FILTHYbrowncow

I am experiencing the 5 second timeout, but only during liveview in movie mode (not live view in photo mode).  Is anybody else having this same problem?  I just want to make sure its not my camera and just a bug in the build. 

whitep

Aaaaaaalllrighty...

I took the time and read all of the 30 pages of this thread. Its huge and I think im ready to go.
There are just some little questions I have left (just because I am a little coward, sorry for that):

a) have several SD cards: to use all of them with ML I have to go through the install procedure for every single card, right?
--> what happends if I insert a non ML SD Card after I used to?
b) If I have installed 'Nightly Build A' and want to upgrade to newer 'Nightly Build B' what are the steps (formatting SD Card? Go through new installation?)
c) What is the recommended way to update from ML 1.1.3 to Canon 1.1.4 (and maybe later to ML 1.1.4)
d) If my batterie is low and a few hours outside of cam for charging, do I have to 'reinstall' ML via Firmware Update or is it still active after inserting the batterie?

Thanks for your effort guys. Thats insane what you did.

FILTHYbrowncow

Quote from: whitep on June 04, 2015, 12:08:09 PM
Aaaaaaalllrighty...

I took the time and read all of the 30 pages of this thread. Its huge and I think im ready to go.
There are just some little questions I have left (just because I am a little coward, sorry for that):

a) have several SD cards: to use all of them with ML I have to go through the install procedure for every single card, right?
--> what happends if I insert a non ML SD Card after I used to?
b) If I have installed 'Nightly Build A' and want to upgrade to newer 'Nightly Build B' what are the steps (formatting SD Card? Go through new installation?)
c) What is the recommended way to update from ML 1.1.3 to Canon 1.1.4 (and maybe later to ML 1.1.4)
d) If my batterie is low and a few hours outside of cam for charging, do I have to 'reinstall' ML via Firmware Update or is it still active after inserting the batterie?

Thanks for your effort guys. Thats insane what you did.

A) Yes, you need it on each SD card you plan to use.  If you insert a non ML SD, then you have a regular t5i (or whatever canon you have)
B) replace the old contents with the contents from the new build
C) completely format your card and install canons firmware
D) Your batteries shouldn't affect ML.  ML is present as long as a memory card with the correct ML is on the card. 

Walter Schulz

C: Uninstall cameras bootflag by running firmware upgrade. After timeout restart your cam and format card.

whitep

Thanks to both of you guys. And thanks Walter. By reading those 30 pages I know you
are a really helpful person and try to get people help and advice and the FAQ  ;D.
But just to make clear the Canon Firmware Update should be on a non ML SD Card right?

And again

a) To get it on every SD card I have to do the install procedure for every card
(put ML Files on SD, plug into 700D, start FW Update)?

b) On my PC I just copy and paste/overwrite the 'new content' AND do the install
procedure (FW Update on EOS)?

Thanks  :) and I swear I'm done asking. I feel sorry.  :-[
The next time I'll post here will be to say thanks for those answers and that it
(hopefully) runs perfectly on my EOS.  ;D

Walter Schulz

Quote from: whitep on June 04, 2015, 11:01:23 PM
But just to make clear the Canon Firmware Update should be on a non ML SD Card right?

Nope. Canon firmware doesn't affect bootflag and there is no timeout updating Canon's native firmware.

a) To get it on every SD card I have to do the install procedure for every card
(put ML Files on SD, plug into 700D, start FW Update)?
Installation Guide.

b) On my PC I just copy and paste/overwrite the 'new content' AND do the install
procedure (FW Update on EOS)?
Sorry, no idea what you're trying to do in b).

whitep

Thanks for your advice Walter  :)

QuoteSorry, no idea what you're trying to do in b).
It's reffering to my original question b up there:

QuoteIf I have installed 'Nightly Build A' and want to upgrade to newer 'Nightly Build B' what are the steps (formatting SD Card? Go through new installation?)
and FilthyBrownCow answered:

Quotereplace the old contents with the contents from the new build
So just delete the ML stuff from SD card (with help of a PC) and 'copy/paste' or 'overwrite' existing files.?

Edit & BTW: I successfully installed ML on my 700D  8) . I saw some videos from 1 to 2 years ago and seeing an audio
menu but it is not present on my menu (I'm using the latest nightly).

FILTHYbrowncow

Is anybody else experiencing magic lantern timing out after 5 seconds when you're in live view? 

whitep

No, but I had another problem.
I wanted to delete the pictures on my card and formatted it
with active option 'keep ML, format card'. And turned off the
cam.

After booting (normal, no complications) ML was gone.
I took the card out and plugged it into my pc. ML files were
still on card. Any advice?

Edit: I just reinstalled it normally and it is working again with
the old settings I allready did before.

Do I always have to format format with low-level option?

Walter Schulz

Seems like card got unbootable. This shouldn't happen. Run firmware update from Canon's menu.
Try to reproduce.
If able shoot a video about your issue. Quality doesn't matter here. And add some details about the card you used: Size, file system used and of course which nighty build version.

Walter Schulz

whitep

Ok so it happends while formatting the card (option keep ML set) no matter if low level formatting is activated or not.
While the screen says restoring ML Stuff the screen goes off and that seems to cancel something and
ML is gone afterwards. I dont know why but it seems to be connected with the screen going off?
By the way. While reinstalling it says Bootflag allready set if thats something important.

I'll reinstall it and will delete the pictures manually via pc without formatting an longer for now.

Details:

Camera: Canon Eos 700D
Firmware: magiclantern-Nightly.2015May03.700D113, Canon 1.1.3
SDCard: Kingston SDHC 8GB class 4 (I know, not optimal) but I think thats not the problem.
SDCard: uses FAT32 and contains DCIM, MISC, ML, 700D_113.fir, AUTOEXEC.BIN

I did bracketting for a HDR via ML: 9 shots, set the darkest pic up and used 0 + ++
Than I formatted the card (option keep ML set) one time without low level
--> Result: while 'Restoring ML Stuff' LCD goes off. LED stopped blinking. ML was gone.

I reinstalled ML (files were still on SD)
I did again bracketting for a HDR via ML: 9 shots, set the darkest pic up and used 0 + ++
Than I formatted the card (option keep ML set) one time with low level.
--> Result: while 'Restoring ML Stuff' LCD goes off. LED stopped blinking. ML was gone.

EDIT: I have done everything in the installation guide as described there. What should the
features tell me? Where do you think the problem is from?

EDIT²: I feel pretty dumb now. I formatted again but this time I checked the camera's
'Auto Power Off' which was set at 30 seconds. I changed that to 3 Minutes and guess what
happends. I saw the message that it was successfully restored. I dont delete my text so
other people can read that just in case they haven't change that Auto Timer.

Walter Schulz

No, I think it's something which may have to be taken care of.
@devs: Is it possible to dissable powersave during this operation?

whitep

QuoteNo, I think it's something which may have to be taken care of.
@devs: Is it possible to dissable powersave during this operation?

Yeah I think it was definitly the Power Saving. At least with that slow card.
Maybe it is no problem wit h class 10 so 30 may be enough than.