Canon 700D / T5i

Started by nanomad, June 01, 2013, 12:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

BASSPRO

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 09, 2014, 06:29:52 PM
Yes

I loaded Magic Lantern on my T5i from the first day it arrived. Worked like a dream from the word go. Just follow the installation instructions to the letter and you'll be A ok! I check the regular updates, read all the changes, bugs etc., both Nightly and Alpha builds, and you'll soon find out what's good and bad.

There are a great bunch of guys working on this project, and personally I am extremely happy with the results they have and are producing. Being able to reduce ISOs to 70, 80 and 160 is simply marvellous. Not to mention Cropmarks, Focus Peaking (fantastic for manual lenses) plus a million other features and enhancements. You'll love ML, I do.  I repeat, follow the instructions and you won't have a problem, period.

If you want cutting edge progess on ML check out the posts from mk11174, he's working hard on getting  AUDIO meters to work. I'm running his alpha build and love it.

Here are a few steps to help you along the way.

Firstly make sure you have the correct firmware on your T5i/700D. Check out this site you'll find a link somewhere.
Secondly, download the MacBoot utility from internet, then;

1. Disk Utility: Erase everything on SD card.
2. MacBoot - Use third option - "DSLR Bootable"
3. Download ML from this site...the Nightly builds or the stable version (or if you're like me the Alpha builds)
3. Unpack ML to sub-directory...let's call it ML, (anywhere you like...mine's on my desktop.)
3. Copy ML from directory  'Magic Lantern" - 700D.xxx.xxx (or whatever version) - ML to root of SD Card. Make sure auto.exe file is in the root else won't boot.
4. Make sure MacBoot remains open when copying files.
5. Bang the card back into your T5i and you should be good to go.

The ROOT of your SD card should look something like mine which looks like this: (Check out the wonderful crop-marks from some of fantastic work from the brilliant guys using ML in the "Cropmarks" directory)
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7bcnhzwhxhlvg2y/WylQyLzxCU

Then when ML is running like you want it too, you'll want to start playing with all the picture styles you can find, which in the long run will drive you crazy. Her's a small package of picture styles to get you started.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lqxpyro0jfjvoig/158%20VW%20Collection%20CPS.zip (I'm sure there are enough to make you tear your hair out...Stick with Cinestyle, Prolost, VisionColor or VisionTech and CineLook and you'll be fine.

Then you will ask, what's next? It has to be RAW. A lot of work has gone into ML RAW but the workflow, for me, is far too tedious and time consuming. For short projects RAW is great but for day to day work, a fast turnaround is a prerequisite, so  ML basic does the job perfectly for me.

What am I waiting for? The new H265 codec, which should give results as good as RAW, is just around the corner, so I'm hanging in there!

Enjoy.

kimmy24

Also waiting for ML 700D fw1.1.3

mk11174

Quote from: Ramon on February 09, 2014, 02:08:12 PM

Would it be better to wait for a stable version?

Honestly it is working great for me so, I don't see any problem getting it, It just can't control audio right now, but you already have that in Canon menu now, so you really don't need the control in ML. I use MLV_REC over Raw_Rec and it works great and with sound, Raw_Rec works fine, but I go with MLV.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

BASSPRO

Quote from: mk11174 on February 11, 2014, 03:49:18 PM
Honestly it is working great for me so, I don't see any problem getting it, It just can't control audio right now, but you already have that in Canon menu now, so you really don't need the control in ML. I use MLV_REC over Raw_Rec and it works great and with sound, Raw_Rec works fine, but I go with MLV.

Works for me, and I love it.

kgmusic

BASSPRO, I was following your instructions and I thought you meant that I was supposed to upgrade to the latest firmware before trying to run the latest Nightly build.  So I did that but the latest firmware which recently came out is 1.1.3.  Now I can't run ML.  I try to run the firmware update but I think it's not working because the firmware update boot file is made to work with 1.1.1.

Do you know any way around this?  It seems like it's not possible to roll back the firmware, is it?

I now think that what you meant was upgrading to the firmware provided by the ML site...  bummer...  Does anybody have any ideas about how to roll back the firmware so that I can run ML now that I have 1.1.3?

Ken

Walter Schulz

Quote from: kgmusic on February 11, 2014, 08:10:20 PMDoes anybody have any ideas about how to roll back the firmware so that I can run ML now that I have 1.1.3?

You simply can't. You have to wait for ML to run with 1.1.3.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5951.msg93071#msg93071

Unimpressive

Just another voice chiming in that I'm on 1.1.3.

You guys are ridiculous, I'm blown away by your skills.
Keep doing what you do, and I'll be sitting here with my thumb up my butt reading along in awe.

rackard

Hi guys.

Magic lantern seem revolutionary, but i have a 700 D with 1.1.3. Hope it'll be work with that firmware soon. See you and thank you for that work.

mk11174

Ok guys, I am going to try to get your 1.1.3 FW started, but I need a volunteer???

quote from Alex the great!

"Then, let's find a volunteer running on 1.1.3 who can run the dumper."

http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/blind-dumper/dumper-700D.fir

usage: run it (upgrade fw), then go to playback mode. Make sure you have a picture there (if it's "no image" it wont work). Then check the card.

Upload the Bin file somewhere and send me link to get it started.

mian

Quote from: mk11174 on February 18, 2014, 07:32:32 PM
Ok guys, I am going to try to get your 1.1.3 FW started, but I need a volunteer???

Below is the link to my 1.1.3 dump.

edit: removed link; thanks for the dump.

mk11174

Quote from: mian on February 18, 2014, 09:41:45 PM
Below is the link to my 1.1.3 dump.

edit: removed link; thanks for the dump.
Just wanted to say thanks again for the dump, the stubs are coming along fine, doing them as I get time, hopefully wont be to long now  :)

Unimpressive

Quote from: mk11174 on February 18, 2014, 07:32:32 PM
Ok guys, I am going to try to get your 1.1.3 FW started

Thank You!  :D

topspin391

Hello. If anyone has a firmware magic lantern 1.1.3 on Canon 700D, I can test it. It is desirable to send the mail [email protected]

kimmy24

Finally, something to wait for. I foolishly updated to 1.1.3. Hoping for the best.

mk11174

Quote from: kimmy24 on February 20, 2014, 06:51:14 PM
Finally, something to wait for. I foolishly updated to 1.1.3. Hoping for the best.
I ported all the stubs for it, but that are being checked first to make sure there correct. I don't exactly know who creates the bootloader FIR file though, I can compile and get the autoexec.bin when all is tested and ready for compiling, but will be useless with out the bootloader, so I hope I don't have to do that part because I am not sure how this is created. Hopefully the stubs are correct so at least you guys with the newer FW will be able to make use of ML. I still have the 1.1.1 FW so I am using ML already but don't want to upgrade to 1.1.3 till ML is able to load on it because theres no FW I can use to go back to 1.1.1. So good thing there was a volunteer to send his dump out to get things going. Best of luck, I will be glad to help out in any way to keep this 1.1.3 port moving forward.

kimmy24

I wish I could help but i don't have any programming experience about embedded software/firmware. I would have been a lot easier if downgrading to 1.1.1 was possible

igortupini

I've updated for the 1.1.3 too. I would that I could make a downgrade. :(

mk11174

Quote from: igortupini on February 21, 2014, 10:40:33 PM
I've updated for the 1.1.3 too. I would that I could make a downgrade. :(
No, thers no 1.1.1 firmware so you can't downgrade, the port of your 1.1.3 is started, just not sure how long the next step takes, alls I could do was the next step after we got the 1.1.3 dump from a user, I attempted the 2nd step but not sure if it was successful until I hear back from the main developer here, then maybe it can move on.

ThankMeLater

Hey,

I am just wondering if upgrading to the new 1.1.3. firmware will disable boot flag !
I mean installing ML with firmware 1.1.1 and then upgrading it to 1.1.3. Will it be a clean uninstall of ML ?
I just want to make sure that it is possible to disable it before enabling it  :)

PS: Thanks to everybody who is working on this !

Thanks,
TML

FilipeNico

Quote from: ThankMeLater on February 22, 2014, 03:02:42 AM
Hey,

I am just wondering if upgrading to the new 1.1.3. firmware will disable boot flag !
I mean installing ML with firmware 1.1.1 and then upgrading it to 1.1.3. Will it be a clean uninstall of ML ?
I just want to make sure that it is possible to disable it before enabling it  :)

PS: Thanks to everybody who is working on this !

Thanks,
TML

It will replace the bootflag for the official 1.1.3 one

No need to upgrade your firmware though (are you having problems with the one you have? is the 1.1.3 solve any of the problems??)

a1ex

Quote from: FilipeNico on February 22, 2014, 09:06:16 AM
It will replace the bootflag for the official 1.1.3 one

So far, Canon firmware updates did not touch the bootflag. Did you try it and found a different behavior? how exactly did you reach this conclusion?

ThankMeLater

Hey guys,

I got 25fps pal video mode. Then i go to Magic lantern Menu. I adjust the shutter to 1/50 and get 162 degree shutter.

-> I adjust the shutter to 1/45 and get 179 degree shutter.

How is this possible ? i thought 2 * fps is the 180 degree shutter.

Pictures :

I just dont know what to choose now. 1/50 because people say this should be the 180 degree shuter, or 1/45 because ML tells me its 180 degree.

Thanks in advance and best wishes,
thankmelater

FilipeNico

Someone told me that if i wanted to erase my Magiclantern install the best way for now (till we have a decent unninstaller) would be to upgrade to 1.1.3 fw version

ThankMeLater

Help me please ! Is this a 700D ML bug or am i just too dumb to understand it ?
I got 25fps pal video mode. Then i go to Magic lantern Menu. I adjust the shutter to 1/50 and get 162 degree shutter.

-> I adjust the shutter to 1/45 and get 179 degree shutter.

How is this possible ? i thought 2 * fps is the 180 degree shutter.

Pictures :

I just dont know what to choose now. 1/50 because people say this should be the 180 degree shuter, or 1/45 because ML tells me its 180 degree.

thanks in advance and best wishes,
thankmelater