Canon 700D / T5i

Started by nanomad, June 01, 2013, 12:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronkad

Thank you walter_schulz for your response. I found on Features list that HEADPHONE_MONITORING is not available for 650D as well yet on HEADPHONE_MONITORING specification I found that the feature is not available on 600D/T3i also.

I'm thinking about buying first entry-level Canon camera and I understand there's no other way than waiting for HEADPHONE_MONITORING support by Magic Lantern to have live audio preview without attached monitor correct?

JamesSteele

I apologize if this isn't the proper place to post this.  I'm posting it in "camera specific" because it might be something specific to certain cameras.  I recently purchased the T5i and installed ML on it and was of course thrilled with all the features it brings.  But I did notice that the camera seemed to run warmer with ML.  I was shooting video for a while with it before installing ML, then installed ML and shot more video.  When I first starting using ML the sensor temp was 39 deg. C.   But within minutes it was up to 47-48 and then hit 50 deg. C and the temp number appeared in a yellow "caution" box.  This made me a bit concerned.  I spoke to a professional I know here locally who has a 60D and said he has no problems, but he thinks it could vary from model to model.  Hence I'm asking about this in "camera specific" discussion.

A couple of questions for those with T5i's:

1) Is this normal?

2) Does anybody know normal safe operating temperature range for the sensor?

3) Is bypassing ML on boot by holding the Set button *exactly* like not having ML installed at all?  Should temperature stay the same as when running it pure Canon firmware mode with no boot flag, etc.?

Thanks for helping with the newbie question and for your patience if this post isn't appropriate for this topic.

walter_schulz

You may help escho by providing some numbers:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9673.0
I suppose you hit the 600/650 problem: It might be possible ML and Canon are using different methods/sensors to determine temperature.

3: No, there is a difference but a small one.

TmProd

QuoteThe shortcuts for ISO and KEL are still there, just go into Pref menu in ML and go into Misc key settings and turn on LCD Sensor Shorcuts, also, check Arrow/Set shortcuts menu in Pref menu and set the shortcuts how you would like them.

Then you can use the Face Sensor above the viewfinder to activate them and switch through them.

You will also need to have LCD auto off Enabled in Canon menu to use the sensor feature.

Everything works in camera only but with an external monitor thru hdmi... this option doesn't seems to works ???

Any ideas ?

Thanks

joseba.iriarte

Hello.

I have tried magiclantern-Nightly.2014Oct07.700D113 on my 700d. I installed it by following the instructions, and it worked. But since then i can't enter liveview mode. I press liveview mode and nothing happens. Then I uninstalled ml following the instructions again. In uninstalled well, camara working, bat liveview mode does not. Then I tried by installing again canon's firmware 1.1.3 but canĀ“t enter liveview mode.

What can I do? Please help me, I'm very worried.

Thank you very much.

Walter Schulz

Does the button work in movie mode?

Reset all menu settings to factory defaults (including Fn) and try again.

joseba.iriarte

It works now! Maybe I had liveview disabled in settings and did not realize about that, uffff!
Going to install ml again right now.

Thank you very much :)

JamesSteele

Did a shoot today with my 700D and wanted to use ML for the intervalometer function so I could take a series of photos spaced a few seconds apart.  I noticed something interesting.  I'm using an external standard def monitor with the Canon AV cable just so I can see framing.  Turns out that the video output of live view to the external monitor is not stable when the 700D is booted with ML.  If I hold down the Set button while turning on the 700D and bypass ML, the output to the external monitor is steady.  Additionally when ML isn't active, colors look more true on the external monitor.  When ML is booted, when the intermittent video output appears, colors are over-saturated.

I don't actually own an HD TV (I know... I know) so maybe this only happens with the AV cable that breaks out to standard composite output on RCA, but it is an issue.  My apologies if this is the wrong place for "bug reports" but I'm assuming this issue happens just with 700D?  I'll do a search also to see if this is more common or if I posted in wrong area.

a1ex

Can you record a video to show the issue? Also show the settings from the Display tab - one of them might be altering the colors.

I doubt there are many people who use an external monitor for still photos.

JamesSteele

I'll check into it.  I think it may have been doing it for video too.  I was using the monitor just because it was a self-taken group shot (three individuals) and the camera was far enough away that even with the articulating screen of the T5i facing toward us, it was hard to judge focus, framing, etc.  Video was intermittent any time the camera was booted with ML.  I'll try and shoot video of it with my iPhone.  Thanks! :)

christoffl

This is my first post here.
I am using Magic lantern for Timelapse only. My most loved feature is the BulbRamp (sunset/ Sunrise) with my 5DMKII.
Now I bought a 700D and put ML on.
And here is my problem- I cannot find the BuldRamp menu.
I hope the question is not to stupid - maybe one of you can help me out.

thanks
Christoph

Walter Schulz

christoffl

Hello Walter,

thanks for the quick reply. Hm, then I have to get familiar with ETTR before my next travel.

Christoph

dropdead

I know it's a noob question that is basicly answered on the faq, but is the nightly build available for the 700D moderately stable?
My 700D has a 2 year warranty and it's just going to reach year 1 in December, and with the void/doesen't void warranty incertainty around ML I'm troubled with the thought of screwing up my camera.

JamesSteele

Hi dropdead. I was hesitant like you were because I had just bought a T5i (700D) refurb direct from Canon.  I went ahead and installed it and followed the instructions carefully and it all worked fine. It's also easy to remove the boot flag with the latest version. It's been very stable for me, however I've pretty much decided to use it sparingly, because it seems like my camera runs warmer when ML is loaded and I'm a little nervous about it.  The feature I really wanted was the ability to have finer control over ISO and color temperature which I could have gotten without ML by getting something like a 60D, which in hindsight might have been there better move for me. What I do is just run ML when there's a feature I feel I need for a particular situation that I can't get with the stock firmware.

TAB

I am filming a live event in two weeks, and the organizers want to me to connect my T5i to a projector screen at the event, for the audience. Problems:

1) The LCD shuts off when HDMI is connected, so I can't see what I'm shooting unless I'm looking at the projector.
2) The Magiclantern GUI appears on the HDMI output. Hitting the info button cycles through the canon display options, but there's no way to get a image totally clear of overlays.

I don't need an actual "clean" video for external capture, I just need the LCD screen to keep working with ML, while outputting "clean" hdmi to the projector. Is this remotely possible?

Any ideas??

Edit:
OK I figured out how to clear the overlays... but the problem remains- I need to use the LCD simultaneously. Is this possible?

Walter Schulz

HDMI splitter + cam mounted HDMI display/EVF
Or display/EVF able to passthrough HDMI.

greeneagle01

hello, I installed the 1.1.3 version, but the cropmarks do not work :(. Any suggestions? Also, is it normal that magic lantern only works if you have the sd card (the one you used to install) inserted?

walter_schulz

Cropmarks: Won't work when using MLV because default option for MLV is "Global Draw = Off". See submenu.
ML won't load with other cards: Top of page -> User Guide -> FAQ/Installation Guide

greeneagle01

hmm, what do I do with the submenu?

greeneagle01

Oh never mind, I got it! Thank you!

DigitalVeil

Finally got around to putting ML on my 700D this weekend, lots of fun. Focus peaking, zebras, HDR video, and raw/mlv video are my favorite features so far. 

The SD slot on this camera is rated for 40MB/s right?  My card (samsung pro) is rated for 80MB/s writes, but the ML benchmark seems always ends up in the 30-35MB/s range and recording will sometimes stop when CBR is set to 3.0x (with audio disabled) even though that should theoretically be fine.  If my card is the bottleneck here even though it's rated for well over 40MB/s, best believe I'll be returning it.
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

walter_schulz

Press Play button after starting benchmark to activate playback mode. Running movie or photo mode will show lower numbers.

DigitalVeil

Thanks for the tip.  I actually found I was able to record at 3.0x CBR continuous just fine after disabling all overlays.  Footage looks great at 3.0 :)

Just out of curiosity - does anyone know the explanation why this camera can't go beyond a width of 1728 in raw recording?  What would happen if the block was removed and you set it to something above 1728?
Glass: EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF-S 55-250mm IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm IS STM

dmilligan

1728 is the maximum width of the raw data buffer in that particular video mode (where every 3 lines skipped when reading out => only 1/3 of pixels are actually sampled and readout; some higher end cameras do binning instead of skipping, but the raw buffer is still 1/3 size of actual sensor). If you forced the EDMAC to copy a larger section of buffer, you would just get garbage data and the alignment would be off.

The only way to get around this is to use a different video mode like "crop" mode where there is no line skipping.