Raw MK2 vs. MK3

Started by egzen75, May 31, 2013, 06:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egzen75

Sorry in advance, I'm new to this. What are the differences in image quality between shooting raw on the MK2 vs. MK3. Does anyone think this will equal the BMC cameras latitude? Will this ever work on a 60d?

crazyrunner33

All the major blogs have answered this already, most of them obtain their information from this forum.  The Mark 3 does not have line skipping and can support full 1080P on certain memory cards, the Mark 2 and 60D are line skippers and it shows during RAW video.  The 5D Mark 2 cannot write as fast as the Mark 3, it tops out at around 55-65 megabytes per second, around 83 is needed for 1080p.  The 60D tops out at around 20 megabytes per second.  Currently there are builds that work for the Mark 2 and 60D, but like everything else, they are still in the early alpha stage.

As for the difference between the Mark 3 and the BMCC, you can decided for yourself.

https://vimeo.com/66170436

http://www.eoshd.com/content/10351/new-5d-raw-developments-plus-my-low-light-comparison-with-blackmagic-cinema-camera
5D Mark III, 7D

egzen75

Thank you for the info! How about the 50d? Where does it fit in the mix? I understand it has some qualities that make it good for raw shooting? Would you suggest I dump my 60d for a 50d?

Thanks again!

Roman

Yes interestingly, the 50D has become a good option despite never having video capability to start with.

Reasons:

1: CF card slot instead of SD card - faster possible write speed. (The main issue with 60D is SD card)

2: It was a camera with a high burst rate, so had a large buffer - which is good for how raw video writes to the card.

3: It's remarkably cheaper than the 5Dmk3 or similar CF card camera.

4. 15 megapixels sensor means it gives less moire etc compared to 18-20ish megapixel crop sensor cameras.

On the downside though, the interface is currently a bit cumbersome until some more development is done...
Some issues with using electronic lenses selecting apeture and using image stabliser in raw recording mode.
And the camera can get a bit hot and chew through the batteries pretty quick when recording video. (Although my batteries might be a bit old in fairness)

I weighed up the pros and cons, saw a cheap 50D in great condition for sale and jumped at it.