Not possible to completely uninstall magic lantern from 5D Mark III?

Started by Mei Lewis, May 28, 2013, 03:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mei Lewis

I think it's not possible, but would like to know for sure either way.

I definitely think anyone considering installing Magic Lantern for the first time should be told if there's no way to do a complete uninstall.

---------------------

I've been trying for several days now to remove all traces of the RAW video version of Magic Lantern from my 5D Mark III.
It's easy to delete the ML files from any given CF card, and straightforward to use EOScard to stop a CF card being bootable, but I can find no way to disable the bootflag in the camera.

I've searched these forums pretty thoroughly and spoken to a few people on here, but AFAIK no one knows how to disable the bootflag on the MKIII, so no one knows how to uninstall ML fully.

This thread "HOW ML START (or why it doesn't boot topic) & Restore Camera Settings"
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2522.0
explains how ML and the bootflag works in terms of install.

It gives a method to uninstall ML:
1. Start the firmware update procedure (with battery full, no accessory, M mode...) from canon menu and wait the green text.
2. change mode on the dial and wait the white text.
3. Restart camera, clear settings and Custom Func. and format card, low level (NOTE: you will lose also your pics of course).

But that method doesn't work on the MKIII as far as I can tell, because in point (1) it never gets to the point where there's green text on a black screen.

The wiki page gives no more help, because I think it's referring to the same method:
http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/faq#how_do_i_uninstall_it

a1ex suggests disabling the bootflag on a 60d on this thread http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5594.0
by
Quote"placing Canon FIR on the card"

Mikkel S. says on this thread http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3852.0
Quote"I put the 1.1.3 firmware from Canon (5D300113.FIR) on a blank card and turned on the camera."
but he's not sure if that really disabled the bootflag or not and it definitely doesn't for me.

I've now tried every combination of ML, ML+Canon and just canon .fir files on bootable and non-bootable cards, but none of them get me to the green text on black screen that I think is required to disable the bootflag.

-------------------

I've used ML on my 5D2 (two of them) for several years, and I've been using the alpha Mk3 software for many months, without any problems.

My preffered method with the MK3 is to run the ML Alpha from the SD slot, using the CF slot to store pictures and movies.
I can leave the 5D2 ML files on all my CF cards, and this way can share CF cards between cameras. With the bootflag permanently enable in my mk3 that no longer works.

I also have an Eye-Fi card, and the ML wiki makes me think this now won't work reliably.

Shield

Can't you just update to firmware 1.21 and ML is no longer there?  Or should the title be "not possible to reverse the bootflag option"?

scrax

How did you enabled the boot flag first?
I suppose there is a fir for that, have you tried to run it twice? I suppose that second time it will toggle bootflag off.
maybe Alex knows better
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Mei Lewis

Quote from: Shield on May 28, 2013, 06:16:50 PM
Can't you just update to firmware 1.21 and ML is no longer there?  Or should the title be "not possible to reverse the bootflag option"?

The title is "completely un-install" because that's what I want to be able to do. The bit that's not possible is is turning the bootflag off, as far as I can tell.

Mei Lewis

Quote from: scrax on May 28, 2013, 06:44:18 PM
How did you enabled the boot flag first?
I suppose there is a fir for that, have you tried to run it twice? I suppose that second time it will toggle bootflag off.
maybe Alex knows better

There's a .fir file on the card that I used to install/run magic lantern. That's the firmware it's running right?
And I run it by doing  a firmware update?

Doesn't do anything, never get to the green on black screen.

RenatoPhoto

Does the camera show any other symptoms beside not showing the black and green success screen?
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Levinson

Same for me. On the 5d3 there are no green instructions after ML firmware update that I normally see on the 5d2 and 550d.

I just assumed this was because the 5d3 version we have all been using didn't follow the typical stable builds technique for installation etc.

I think in one of the earlier posts (10/5/2013 or so) it mentioned flashing the stable 5d2 build of the time, then merging with the .fir, ml, autoexec files from a 5d3 mod that Lourenco had posted.

I'm sorry, but that is about the best I can recall regarding my initial install.

The forums have become quite full of very similar threads that lack clear "camera specific" titles, particularly the 5d2 and 5d3 threads. It's highly possible that readers are misinterpreting some of the instructions.

5d3, 5d2 & 550d

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Levinson on May 29, 2013, 01:46:28 PM
Same for me. On the 5d3 there is no green instructions after ML firmware update that I normally see on the 5d2.

I just assumed this was because the 5d3 version we have all been using didn't follow the typical stable builds technique for installation etc.

That is my suspicion, so maybe ML is uninstalled.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

scrax

Quote from: Mei Lewis on May 29, 2013, 09:59:22 AM
There's a .fir file on the card that I used to install/run magic lantern. That's the firmware it's running right?
And I run it by doing  a firmware update?

Doesn't do anything, never get to the green on black screen.

Ok , from what i can understand using the alpha should not enable the bootflag, you load ML manually with the firmware update menu and ML is not .bin it's .fir (signed)
Loading the fir that way will not need the bootflag enabled.

but there are some .fir for developers that will enable the bootflag, are you sure you didn't load them also?

Quote from: Levinson on May 29, 2013, 01:46:28 PM

That's correct, the green screen install procedure is only for 2.3 release and the camera it supports. Alpha have different way based on current port status.
Keep in mind that to load a .fir from the firmware update menu bootflag isn't needed but the fir must be signed right.
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on May 29, 2013, 01:52:29 PM
... so maybe ML is uninstalled.

If mk3 is hanging with a card from mk2+ML the bootflag is probably on

what happen with a bootable card without ML on it?

Levinson

Thanks Scrax & Renato.

To the best of my memory, some info in one of Lourenco's threads stated that the card must be boot enabled, the most recent version of ML for 5d2 copied onto it, then some files replaced with 5d3 specific files.

I have been replacing files with the newer build files ever since.

Would the white ML text that appears upon turning the camera on reveal any clues?
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Levinson

I've just removed my SD that has the ML files on it, and simply left my formatted CF card in there, and all appears to be functioning as a Canon firmware without any trace of ML, including the firmware name - is it safe to say there was never any boot flag enabled?

In the past, on the 5d2, if I simply formatted the card, the camera appeared to function typically canon, but would have a slight delay (about 1 second) when waking up after it went into power save (sleep), while normally it would wake instantly upon a button press. A proper deactivation cured the delay. Would it be that the camera was searching for files before it woke?

Is a bootable memory card enough to have ML find it's files automatically upon boot? I thought the boot flag would have been necessary.

My 5d3 has been loading ML automatically upon boot.

Thanks for your help guys :) It hasn't been a problem for me yet anyway as I've been happy with ML functionality.
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

scrax

if you make your formatted card bootable with EOSboot for example and camera get stuck you have the bootflag on, if it loads with a formatted card doesn't mean that the bootflag is off.

With a bootable card and no .bin on it camera will hang with bootflag ON or load as usual with bootflag OFF

Levinson

Sorry Scrax, I don't quite follow.

Do you mean that a formatted card, made bootable using Eoscard, with no ML files present, should make the camera lock up, or at least not function correctly?

That is how my camera behaves - so I'm guessing there is a boot flag on in my camera.

So, I guess the trick is still..... how to disable it?
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Mei Lewis

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on May 29, 2013, 01:40:16 PM
Does the camera show any other symptoms beside not showing the black and green success screen?

There's no problem with the camera.

The only 'symptom' it has is the bootflag is enabled and it seems to be impossible to turn it off. But I don't think it's unique to my camera because as far as I can tell no one else has managed to turn off the bootflag once enabled on their 5d3 either.

I can't turn off the bootflag because to do so it seems I need to get to the green on black screen - which I can't do.

scrax

Quote from: Levinson on May 29, 2013, 11:32:15 PM
So, I guess the trick is still..... how to disable it?
Yes, you understood right, I think too that you have the bootflag on, to turn it off you need a fir for that but I don't know if there is one yet.

Mei Lewis

Quote from: scrax on May 29, 2013, 01:59:04 PM
Ok , from what i can understand using the alpha should not enable the bootflag, you load ML manually with the firmware update menu and ML is not .bin it's .fir (signed)
Loading the fir that way will not need the bootflag enabled.

but there are some .fir for developers that will enable the bootflag, are you sure you didn't load them also?

I've been using the ordinary Alpha, versions 3 I think, for several months, since the time it came out, and that has always work as you're describing - it doesn't enable bootflag and every time I wanted to use it I had to go through the firmware update procedure.

I know it doesn't enable the bootflag because throughout that time I was using CF cards interchangeably between my 5d2 and my mark 3, and the CF cards all had 5d2 Magic Lantern on. As the MK3 bootflag was not set that was never an issue. I rar 5d3ML alpha from SD when needed.

That changed when I tried the RAW enabled version.
I followed the EOS HAD instructions from here:
http://www.eoshd.com/content/10352/easier-5d-mark-iii-raw-guide-in-4-steps
which directed me to download magic lantern from here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5413.0
That's the nightly builds thread.

The actual zip I used was "Magic Lantern May 19 e91e2bc.zip" but I imagine the other nightly builds behave the same way, right?

Mei Lewis

Quote from: scrax on May 30, 2013, 12:04:52 AM
Yes, you understood right, I think too that you have the bootflag on, to turn it off you need a fir for that but I don't know if there is one yet.

If I'm following how this is all working I think you're right there scrax. I can't find a method or a .fir that will turn the bootflag off.

Levinson

5d3, 5d2 & 550d

senzazn12

So if I were to just do a regular reformat of the CF card with the 5D3 RAW firmware on it does that mean ML is still on the camera? Just wanted to ask because before installing ML RAW on my 5D3 I forgot to format it in EXFAT. Because of it I cannot record more than 4GB in the RAW_REC MODULE. If I were to format the CF card in EXFAT to enable more than 4GB recording in RAW, would I have to do anything different in installing ML RAW again in that card? Any help is great.

noisyboy

Quote from: senzazn12 on June 01, 2013, 08:00:35 PM
So if I were to just do a regular reformat of the CF card with the 5D3 RAW firmware on it does that mean ML is still on the camera? Just wanted to ask because before installing ML RAW on my 5D3 I forgot to format it in EXFAT. Because of it I cannot record more than 4GB in the RAW_REC MODULE. If I were to format the CF card in EXFAT to enable more than 4GB recording in RAW, would I have to do anything different in installing ML RAW again in that card? Any help is great.

If you want to re-format the card then that's fine. Just make sure you make the card bootable before you copy the ML files to the card otherwise it ML won't load. You should do the same for any other cards you want to use with ML. Formatting a card does not affect or remover the bootflag on the camera. To do this you have to run the original ML fir that you used to install it. When you do that you will see the same "success" screen you saw when you first set the bootflag but you will notice at the bottom instructions on removing it (by changing to either Av or Tv etc while the success screen is showing).

odlan

Hello,
but for record >4G raw is sufficient to format in EXFAT only the CF LEXAR where I record the video or I have to format in EXFAT also the SD card where is ML ?

Thank you

armandsla

I'm one of those who enabled bootflag and now are waiting for uninstall .fir.

Hopefully it will be released soon

Mei Lewis

Quote from: noisyboy on June 01, 2013, 08:34:43 PM
Formatting a card does not affect or remover the bootflag on the camera. To do this you have to run the original ML fir that you used to install it. When you do that you will see the same "success" screen you saw when you first set the bootflag but you will notice at the bottom instructions on removing it (by changing to either Av or Tv etc while the success screen is showing).

I'm pretty sure that piece of information is NOT correct. The whole point of this thread is that what you suggest DOES NOT WORK for the 5d3.

odlan

For anyone interested it is enough to format in EXFAT the card on which you are recording. Then if you have ML in a second card (SD or CF) you have not to format it.  ::)