550D raw 14 bit DNG silent pics port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 26, 2013, 01:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlrpgmsvc

In this thread we will concentrate our efforts to port DNG silent pics feature (normal and burst mode) to the 550D

Current state-of-the-art : Simple & burst mode works, but from time to time there is a screwed-up frame (pink noise where you can guess some subjects contours) inside a BURST sequence, at least one DNG wrong inside the burst every 30 or so burst, as a mean value
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

dlrpgmsvc

Full resolution frame example on 550D (1736 x 1156 pixels) (1 second fixed exposure, independent of the exposure time you set) -> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46130896/sample.jpg

Max speed is about a frame every 2 seconds on 550D with a 30 MB/s 8Gb Sandisk SD card

To take silent dng, go to camera settings on ML menu and enable silent pics (ON), then put the rotating knob of the camera into M (manual), then push the liveview button (the red one) then keep half pressed the shoot button to start silent-shooting. Release it to stop the sequence.

dlrpgmsvc

canon main dial on video mode - 640x480x50fps video settings by canon menu - 1734x694 actual dng resolution - 24fps ml video override - 31 frames burst recorded - ml global draw off - canon record audio on or off no difference

if canon main dial is on M mode, only 19 frames are recorded

[1] Canon video settings are no-influent over the DNG RAW burst resolution: how we can set it in order to increase or decrease it so it can record more images and so for more time ?

[2] Once in a while (once every 2-3 bursts), a single screwed-up DNG is recorded inside the burst sequence, like this -> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/46130896/screwed_up.jpg    the borders of the subjects are barely visible.
How we can solve this ? Perhaps the other ports have already solved this...  ;)

pavelpp

which bin are you using? On my camera I am getting only broken DNG's, like the one you posted

ljubex

I was trying out the new magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013May26 build with silent pics and didn't get any screwed up images (which always happened before). I took 500 pics and all of them were ok :-) The resolution was 1734x1156.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: ljubex on May 26, 2013, 07:05:31 PM
I was trying out the new magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013May26 build with silent pics and didn't get any screwed up images (which always happened before). I took 500 pics and all of them were ok :-) The resolution was 1734x1156.

The screwed-up frames appears among the Others when shooting in silent pic BURST mode... try this feature, and you will notice that at least one burst every 5 will show a screwed-up DNG image inside... Tell me if it appears also to you (try more than 5 bursts...) Many thanks for your next tests !

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: pavelpp on May 26, 2013, 03:28:22 PM
which bin are you using? On my camera I am getting only broken DNG's, like the one you posted

I'm using the last nightly build, not the official one... and you ?

ljubex

I just tried the burst mode. All images were ok! It takes sequence of 17 images and I tried several shots. I'm also using latest nightly.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: ljubex on May 26, 2013, 07:43:55 PM
I just tried the burst mode. All images were ok! It takes sequence of 17 images and I tried several shots. I'm also using latest nightly.

Sure ? ... That's a great news ! Perhaps they adjusted something in the last night build ! Now I check it throughly and I will report to you the results here !  ;)

dlrpgmsvc

Ok, I tested throughly the burst mode, I shot about 30 bursts at max resolution, and over 30 bursts, one had a screwed-up frame inside. Ok, they managed to lower the chances to stumble into the problem, but it's still there...

If someone intentionally modified something to mitigate the problem (with success, many thanks!), can I ask him to push a little bit more the parameters of his mod ?

Otherwise, do someone have some ideas in order to solve this ?