Toshiba Exceria SD/CF cards (1066x)- "Made for the 4K market"

Started by hirethestache, May 24, 2013, 10:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hirethestache

I just stumbled upon a Gizmodo article written almost literally one month ago today, about a new lineup of SD/CF cards from Toshiba. They claim a min/max speed of 65/150 for CF and 60/95 for SD.

Article: http://gizmodo.com/5995439/behold-the-fastest-cf-card-ever-made-for-now
Amazon SD's: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR8.TRC1&_nkw=exceria+pro&_sacat=0&_from=R40

$84usd for a 32gb SD that boasts 95wr could be great if development on a 12bit or 10bit compressed rate is mastered.

I'd love to see some benchmarks on the SDs, as they look promising on paper, and are very affordable. Maybe throwing a high-speed SD into a more affordable low-storage-high-speed CF adapter? Im probably blabbing on now after going 32 hours without sleep, but a more affordable solution is exciting for many. I had to throgh out an extra $6400 to get two more 5D3 bodies for the studio, so spending a couple of hundred bucks on a CF card hurts :(
@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

fatpig

DjJuvan

Don't buy this card too fast... I got one and these are the results;

stpaloma

me too i dont suggest you buy this card.
here is what i'v got with 32G

totally let me down.
:(

squig

I don't know how fast you expect the Toshiba to be but my 64Gb cards do 1080p 24/25p without skipping a beat even with global draw on. If you're dropping frames play around with the picture size settings in the Canon menu. Large jpeg seems to work well for me. I'll have a 64Gb Lexar 1000x in a couple of days, I'll do some max frame rate comparisons.

ptunstall

Quote from: squig on June 03, 2013, 05:02:06 PM
I don't know how fast you expect the Toshiba to be but my 64Gb cards do 1080p 24/25p without skipping a beat even with global draw on. If you're dropping frames play around with the picture size settings in the Canon menu. Large jpeg seems to work well for me. I'll have a 64Gb Lexar 1000x in a couple of days, I'll do some max frame rate comparisons.

What exactly does changing the picture size/quality do for ML RAW?  Do we still get the same data onto the card?  I notice the buffer has more ticks now after switching and I don't drop frames at all even on first go.

Roman

Depending on which picture option you select, the camera reserves more (or less) memory for that, which then becomes unavailable for raw recording.

So basically we're trying to select the option that hogs the least amount of memory, to give a bigger buffer available.

squig

Levinson

Have a colleague using Toshiba 64gb 1066x CF. It achieves a mximum of approximately 94mB/s write speed using ML readout while recording raw. I think he paid approximately $320 AUS shipped on Ebay (we assume it is a genuine Toshiba card). Considering how well most of the Komputerbay 64gb cards are working, it's a tough decisiion whether or not to pay more than twice the price and hopefully get better reliability and a touch better write speed.
5d3, 5d2 & 550d