60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marekk

Hi all 60D users :)

I prepared special version of autoexec.bin like 550D user mk11174 and RAW video works now on 60D :) This ML version has only few options enabled. I've got no skills to fix 60D's boot problems with full ML package with modules and tcc enabled so I removed everything except ability to record raw videos and load modules.

So..

- install latest Magic Lantern nightly build and check whether ML is working

We can record videos with max resolution set to 1734x976 (16:9).

You should to remenber that:
- Max LiveView RAW in 60D is 1734x1156
- Camera can write max 20MB/s, full HD needs 90-100MB/s
- There is no special RAW_REC module for 60D, it's the same file like for 5D, 550D, 6D etc.

TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK

Bioskop.Inc

SOME HELP FOR BEGINNERS

INSTALLING ML RAW

READ THIS THREAD: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5520.0

or,

You've got ML already on your camera/SD card - good.
Now all you need to do is download the nightly build & then copy what you find onto your SD card (you'll be replacing old ML stuff, but don't worry).
Put your SD back into your camera & you should now find a Modules section in ML menu.
Turn on/activate what you want from that menu (the RAW_Rec or RAW_MLV modules are there & other goodies) & then restart your camera.
Go to video section in ML menu & turn on RAW rec.

Just a little note, the 60D is serverely hampered & will not do continuous RAW recording - faster cards will not help, its the card slot (21mbs max).
In the Canon Menu turn the picture quality to S3 (JPEG) only - you'll be able to record for longer.
When recording turn Global Draw off - again helps recording.
I use 1280x... crop modes - they upscale nicely to HD & give adequate recording times.
Also, the wider the aspect ratio setting the longer the recording time.

NOISE & ETTR:
Ok, so the noise issue is because you aren't following the ETTR rule - more light=better detail & less noise.
Here's a video i made to demonstrate exactly why you should be following ETTR:
Use the Raw Zebras & a good reading should be about -0.4ev (you're nearly or just a bit overexposing).
I tend to use a higher ISO (400/800) & an ND filter, but if you make sure that you're exposing [enough] to the right (ETTR) & have good light then most ISOs should be fine.
Just remember that this is RAW & you'll have to do post work - you can recover everything!
Read This: http://schewephoto.com/ETTR/

BAD/HOT PIXELS:
Here's a link to Marrek's build that gets rid of the bad pixels (you need to turn on LV_AF_Raw in the Raw Video menu).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0jiq5wuzwp6igyi/ml60d_01_09_2013.zip

Here's a link to an earlier version (can't remember which one works best - think the one above has Dual ISO as well & some other stuff):
Obsolete link removed - Please use the official nightly builds //Audionut

It works & is the only workaround for the 60D ATM.

Don't be afraid to use the lesser crop modes - I find 1280x... upscales really nicely & you get longer recording times!
Also, remember to change the Picture Quality in the Canon Menu from SRAW to S2 (jpeg) - you'll get longer recording times.
Turn Global Draw off when recording.

And finally, if you want really high res bursts (i.e. higher than 1728x...) you can achieve this by doing the following:
Press x5 zoom button (remember to turn off Global raw first & set Frames Per Second Override!)
Press ML Menu button
Goto Raw Video Menu & you'll notice that you can go further on the Resolution scale (max 2512x...., but i use 2240x.... to be safe).
Exit ML Menu
DO NOT EXIT x5 zoom mode
Press record & you should be able to get about 73frames.

Its not perfect, but once you find a higher resolution that works well it can add to your videos.

Good Luck! 

marekk

I've just unpacked raw file with raw2dng and it really works ! :)

tin2tin

Wow thank you. Thought it would never happen.

riccardougo

I try to install your firmware but I have the bad message "Script dir missing"
What I did wrong?
I put the autoexec.bin on my main directory of the SD card and the 3 other files i the ML directory.
I start the 60D in M position to update the ML firmware... After the green screen I turn it off and set it to movie mode... but the bed message appears and the ML firmware doesn't work.  :-\
Can you help me with deep instruction please?

riccardougo

...i forget...
When I download your "magic.sys" file my Mac convert it in a "magic.sys.txt" file and I forced to change it back to "magic.sys" only

marekk

Quote from: riccardougo on May 24, 2013, 10:56:05 PM
...i forget...
When I download your "magic.sys" file my Mac convert it in a "magic.sys.txt" file and I forced to change it back to "magic.sys" only

magic.sym

... and now it works ?

riccardougo

marekk

Pls use full ML package from this link:

Obsolete link removed //Audionut

you probably installed ML stable release and some files are missing.

Quote from: riccardougo on May 24, 2013, 11:13:29 PM
No it doesn't! :(

kslau8

I've got it to work!!!

I'll be shooting some tests but so far I've been getting 300+ frames on 720p. I'm going to convert and post them soon.

GREAT WORK MAREKK!!!!

marekk

wow good result !
what kind of sd card do you have ?

Quote from: kslau8 on May 24, 2013, 11:26:21 PM
I've got it to work!!!

I'll be shooting some tests but so far I've been getting 300+ frames on 720p. I'm going to convert and post them soon.

GREAT WORK MAREKK!!!!

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: kslau8 on May 24, 2013, 11:26:21 PM
I've got it to work!!!

GREAT WORK MAREKK!!!!
How does the images compare in quality from the 6D, Mark II great news.  Gonna be trying it out later today

goldenchild9to5

Great work marekk will be trying it later on today..

marekk

I enabled more features of ML and 60D boots without issues. Please let me now if it works on your cameras.
Obsolete link removed //Audionut

Bioskop.Inc

The most i've got is
1230 frames @ 944x624
710 frames @ 944x704

Do we just need to replace the Autoexec.bin file.

Thanks again for doing this Marekk

riccardougo

Quote from: marekk on May 24, 2013, 11:24:26 PM
Pls use full ML package from this link:

you probably installed ML stable release and some files are missing.

I try with different combinations, but I can't success.
With those files the ML firmware doesn't work.

Waiting for a solution to try.

I question: RAW means what? The camera record video with RAW pictures in stead of JPEG?
How can I after use the clips in post production?
Can I make better "color grading" only? With which software?
FCPX manage it?

Thank you.

marekk

Quote from: Bioskop.Inc on May 25, 2013, 12:03:19 AM
Do we just need to replace the Autoexec.bin file.

... and magic.sym in modules folder.

PKVariance

anyone having trouble with the extracted DNG's? I get unexpected end of file errors when trying to open them...

marekk, thank you!

marekk

I've just extracted 1280x544 RAW file on mac using this tool and I can open DNG files without problems:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5508.0

Quote from: PKVariance on May 25, 2013, 12:07:59 AM
anyone having trouble with the extracted DNG's? I get unexpected end of file errors when trying to open them...

payne

Thank you SO MUCH Marekk! I feared the 60D was forgotten!!! I will test this weekend!

PKVariance

Quote from: marekk on May 25, 2013, 12:15:14 AM
I've just extracted 1280x544 RAW file on mac using this tool and I can open DNG files without problems:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5508.0

I am using the raw2dng for windows...I hope that's not the issue. Anyone else using windows? I'm so close.

Thanks

marekk

pls send me one of your dng files

Quote from: PKVariance on May 25, 2013, 12:19:00 AM
I am using the raw2dng for windows...I hope that's not the issue. Anyone else using windows? I'm so close.

riccardougo

OK, i fix it, ML is working now 8), but I can not find the "VIDEO RAW" option in any menu page, only in picture menu... ???

PKVariance

Quote from: marekk on May 25, 2013, 12:20:53 AM
pls send me one of your dng files

let me know if this works; I can see it when I upload it to google drive oddly enough, and it looks rather pink...

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3_TdSG8rshkRFBRMXZzWjRsTmM/edit?usp=sharing

thanks again!

seanturco

Canon 60D + lexar 400X 32Go. Quality image set to JPG.

Resolution  : 960 x 384
Frames      : 915
-----------------------------
Resolution  : 1280 x 512
Frames      : 320
-----------------------------
Resolution  : 1280 x 608
Frames      : 273

I sold my 60d tomorow. hope really to find raw_rec for the 7D :(
Everythink looks ok on ACR
Update : no, on after effects, I see a lot of magenta frames.