[RAW2DNG] BATCHelor 3.0 Alpha 3

Started by fatpig, May 24, 2013, 03:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShootingStars

dossisman

I'm having the same problem with the split files out of my MarkII.  Installed the latest RAW2DNG.EXE file, but no results.  The cineform files, though, are complete.

I guess I can edit with those proxies, but I'd love to be able to have the DNG's to grade at the end.  Any ideas/suggestions?

P.S. Fatpig, despite these issues, I think BATCHelor is quite possibly the best workflow timesaver I've used so far. So thank you.

fatpig

hey @dossisman:

well, the ML coders can implement this in raw2dng.exe in a very short amount of time,
this is confirmed by a1ex in my thread here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7196.0
feel free to join me in convincing them this is needed! :)

Meanwhile, use raw2cdng for spanned files or join them.
I wrote a separate tool for myself for joining files- if you are interested in testing, send me a PM.

P.S: If you want to use compression, use Alpha 2 - I just updated it.

dossisman

@fatpig

Thank you so much for your quick reply!

So, do I just switch RAW2DNG for RAW2CDNG?  Will it still work with your application?

fatpig

raw2cdng is a separate application by chmee.
It does not work with BATCHelor yet.

vikado

so were planning to shoot a 90min feature sometime this october.
is there a huge difference in real-time playback and color grading in comparison between normal, lossy, and lossless? or even cinemaDNG?
i'll be using resolve/premiere roundtrip method.
5d2 user

fatpig

I have not tested resolve's compatibility with compressed DNGs yet. But should not be hard to find out.
Optically it should not make a difference. Same goes for 12bit cinema DNG.
Let us know if you test it! :)

sounds like an interesting venture. Where are you based?

vikado

Quote from: fatpig on July 24, 2013, 01:04:46 PM
I have not tested resolve's compatibility with compressed DNGs yet. But should not be hard to find out.
Optically it should not make a difference. Same goes for 12bit cinema DNG.
Let us know if you test it! :)

sounds like an interesting venture. Where are you based?
i will definitely be testing the difference in heavy grading in resolve.
as for myself, i reside in Orange county, CA.
the shooting locations will be around the LA area.
its a sci-fi feature.
my only real concern is real time playback for a 90min feature and archiving when the movie is done.
5d2 user

Danne

Cool with a sci-fi movie. But sure you will work with proxies and render the dng,s in the final export? Shouldn,t be a problem I think

vikado

Quote from: Danne on July 24, 2013, 10:40:27 PM
Cool with a sci-fi movie. But sure you will work with proxies and render the dng,s in the final export? Shouldn,t be a problem I think
thanks! i definitely will use proxies.
i've done shorts before, but i've never done a feature and i've never used resolve for a feature, so i'm a bit anxious about the process.
hopefully i wont have to upgrade my pc as much as i think i should.
5d2 user

Africashot

This turned out to be great until avast decided to block it just this afternoon and it won't let me open anymore, it also deletes the .exe file every time Y try to run it, also if I run it as admin and confirm it as an exclusion. What really sucks is that I still have tons of footage to convert!
ML 5D2 & T3i

fatpig

disable avast and submit it as an error, I did the same.
you can also try renaming the exe.

ted ramasola

I like this! Nice feature showing thumbnails. Good job on this version.

I do look forward to this being able to merge spanned files from the 5dmkII.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

eyeland

Thanks alot for your work on Batchelor fatpig! Awesome tool. That said, I am still waiting patiently for one of the batch conversion tools to integrate something like "ExifTool" for those of us who need exif data (the "makernotes" tag enables the use of "camera calibration profiles" in ACR and the ISO tag can make a difference in terms of noise handling (possibly mostly prevalent when using 2012 process) as shown by Mvejerslev.
My workaround so far (as I have already mentioned in several posts, is to snap a quick raw photo before I start shooting. I then later import full or partial Exif from that still to a batch of DNG using ExifTool.
One option (albeit cumbersome and clumsy) would be to add the above method to the batchtool.
Alternatively, someone could take a look at generating a proper xml with the proper Exif tags in-camera which would allow for a seamless automated integration.
My sincere apologies if I am starting to sound like a broken record, and again, Thanks to anyone and everyone involved in the development of ML and the associated tools!
EDIT: The Makernotes/camera calibartion seems to have been fixed (in the updated raw2dng?) but ACR still benefits from other tags..
Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...

fatpig

@ted ramasola:
this has next to no support- they wont do it on their own, even though it is really simple.
nobody of the devs knows that this is demanded- please! this goes for everyone- let them know! here:

@eyeland:
I know nothing about this issue.
What exactly can BATCHelor do to help? If the info is not in the .RAW file there is nothing to do..

dandeliondandy

Hey, great to see these new features.

I'm having an issue when I try the preview function however:

Line 9508 file batchelor_3.0alpha3.exe

error: array variable has incorrect number of subscripts or subscript dimension range exceeded.

Any ideas? Thanks!

spider

BATCHelor is a great software
But I have a question; could it be possible to integrate the PinkDotRemover tool for 650D and EOS M?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658.0

fatpig

@dandeliondandy:
please let me know the path and folder contents of your source folder.
this almost everytime has to do with these things.

for testing, try the preview on files like C:\test\M01-0101.RAW
make sure your file path is not very long.

@spider:
I can maybe include something like it,
but I am not aware of the functionality of the tool.

I read something about it being different for each camera..
which cameras need this tool?
How do you normally work with it?

Time is a little short right now, so if you supply some info maybe this can be a lot quicker :)

spider

Quote from: fatpig on July 31, 2013, 04:31:13 PM
which cameras need this tool?
650D, EOS M and probably 700D will need it too.
How do you normally work with it?
Normally I use BATCHelor to convert my RAWs. After conversion I have to select each folder and process it with the PinktDotRemover tool.  The remover writes new dngs into the same folder.

But now in a new version of it you can select all RAW files and the PinkDotRemover removes the dots directly in the RAW files.
So I thought BATCHelor could start at first the PinkDotRemover and than go on with it normal processing.

But the PinkDotRemover is JAVA software and I dont know if there is a commandline version.

ted ramasola

Quote from: fatpig on July 27, 2013, 07:01:28 PM
@ted ramasola:
this has next to no support- they wont do it on their own, even though it is really simple.
nobody of the devs knows that this is demanded- please! this goes for everyone- let them know! here:

fatpig,

rawanizer is already able to use raw2dng to merge split files in his gui app, the only problem is his current output folder naming makes it "invisible" to resolve. One has to manually rename each folder of the dngs and remove the (.dng) at the end.

If raw2dng has a new version I can merely change that in the rawanizer installation folder in windows/programfiles(x86) directory.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

fatpig

@spider:
I dont know about automating a java app- maybe the developer can tell us more. maybe inquire with him?

@ted:
my resolve can see all folders I tried :)
I can also implement a joining feature. problem is: this method is really slow.
(really, like 10-30 minutes depending on the material)
I wrote a little tool for myself for testing- and decided not to implement it.
I used raw2cdng for large files.

Instead: help push the development of this feature in raw2dng.

a1ex (one of head devs) said: "it is trivial to do".

All we have to do (yes, you too :) ) is post in the thread, requesting this feature be implemented. :)
here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7196.0

I can not stress this enough: the devs think noone needs this!

a1ex

Come on, anyone with some very basic C knowledge can do it. Even some basic programming knowledge in whatever other language and some google search skills should be enough.

But yeah, it's easier to ask for someone else to do it...

Redrocks

ted ramasola

Quote from: Redrocks on August 02, 2013, 12:10:30 AM
@Ted http://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php you can rename a bunch of folders quickly with this.

Thank you for the links Redrocks, I downloaded them in case I would need them.

Yesterday Marten just implemented my request and issued a patch.
His app now changed the folder naming structure and they will now be seen by resolve.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Redrocks

I saw that and will give it a whirl tomorrow. Does it show thumbnails for folders (not clips) when importing to Resolve? That's what I originally got the bulk rename utility for, but it comes in handy for renaming sets of files without the (1) (10) (2) bug.