12-bit (and 10-bit) RAW video development discussion

Started by d, May 22, 2013, 10:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyrobb

In my very unprofessional opinion, 8 bit raw files still look better than the standard H.264 videos. I think they're still sharper. Recovery in shadows and highlights is no comparison to 14 bit, but I still feel it could be useful for people with slower cams. But is it possible?

Danne

Can you upload 8bit example files where it shows no posterization for example?

kyrobb

I tested this some time ago, and not very thoroughly, but I don't remember seeing posterization problems. Perhaps I didn't output as 8 bit correctly. Will have to retest. Thank you for the info.

keepersdungeon

Quote from: keepersdungeon on August 26, 2017, 12:03:25 PM
I've downloaded the latest experiment version for the 6D (21august)

1-When u activate the FPSoverride the whole image becomes brighter and overexposed , and looks like shutter speed doesn't affect it the only thing that worked was going to f8 or f16, didn't have that prob with previous version (Jul03)
**FPS settings: 24fps, fix, and the rest didn't touch it

2-I'm also getting this error every time I start recording on an empty SD card (error was in both versions jul03 and august21)
   "FAILED: "WBAL3: queued:7 failed: 1 (requeued)" and I only get it once it doesn't seem to affect the video though or WB, and have a feeling I only get it when there's nothing on the SD card and I hit Record
So nobody is having the errors mentioned above? If I'm missing something would really like some help from you guys.
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OlRivrRat

@KeepersDungeon

1-When u activate the FPSoverride the whole image becomes brighter and overexposed , and looks like shutter speed
doesn't affect it the only thing that worked was going to f8 or f16, didn't have that prob with previous version (Jul03)

In FPSoverride do You have "OptimizeFor" set to "LowLight" ~ If so switch to some other pram' & see it that helps ~

ORR ~ DeanB
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

keepersdungeon

Quote from: OlRivrRat on August 31, 2017, 02:34:44 AM
      @KeepersDungeon

1-When u activate the FPSoverride the whole image becomes brighter and overexposed , and looks like shutter speed
doesn't affect it the only thing that worked was going to f8 or f16, didn't have that prob with previous version (Jul03)

In FPSoverride do You have "OptimizeFor" set to "LowLight" ~ If so switch to some other pram' & see it that helps ~

ORR ~ DeanB
Hello, thanks for you reply.
I tried them all they all did the same thing on x5 or x10 the image becomes brighter

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

overflow

Quote from: tonij on August 01, 2017, 02:50:32 AM
7D Users,

I played around with the 10/12bit Magic Lantern build for 7D found here: https://bitbucket.org/reddeercity/magic-lantern_10-12bit/downloads/magiclantern-10bit_12bit_raw_twk_crop_rec.2016Dec01.7D203.zip
I was shocked when I managed over 2min of continuous 2520x1200 video @ 24fps with working Liveview and in camera playback! I used a Lexar 64GB 1066x card.

Here's a guide for noobs like myself who wish to try it out.

-In Modules menu enable mlv_play.mo, raw_rec.mo and raw_twk.mo.
-In Movie menu set FPS override to 24 FPS Exact.
-Enable RAW video and set Bit depth to 10, return to Liveview and do 5x zoom, return to Movie menu set resolution to 2520x1200,
-In Overlay menu set Global Draw to OFF, return to Liveview in 5x zoom
-Hit record!

When the camera is turned off and in some other situations when you attempt to record in 5x zoom mode Liveview will freeze. Go back to Overlay menu, enable Global Draw again, return to Liveview 5x zoom, go back again and disable Global Draw, return to Liveview one last time, hit record and you will again be able to view what you are recording.

Most of the time I get around 1min40sec of continuous 2.5k video :)

Edit: I've noticed there's a few of pixles in the bottom right corner of video that do strange things..

Thanks tonij, I followed your step by step instructions and I manage to record in 10 bit successfully on my 7d. However, no matter what I do the liveview always freezes. How did you manage to see what you're recording?

tonij

Quote from: overflow on September 15, 2017, 07:58:30 PM
Thanks tonij, I followed your step by step instructions and I manage to record in 10 bit successfully on my 7d. However, no matter what I do the liveview always freezes. How did you manage to see what you're recording?

Did you follow my guide exactly? When it does freeze do this:

Go back to Overlay menu, enable Global Draw again, return to Liveview 5x zoom, go back again and disable Global Draw, return to Liveview one last time, hit record and you will again be able to view what you are recording.

overflow

Quote from: tonij on September 20, 2017, 11:10:20 AM
Did you follow my guide exactly? When it does freeze do this:

Go back to Overlay menu, enable Global Draw again, return to Liveview 5x zoom, go back again and disable Global Draw, return to Liveview one last time, hit record and you will again be able to view what you are recording.

Thanks again. There's something odd, I tried your step by step instructions and it still freezes. Do you have any other special settings on ML?

overflow

Quote from: reddeercity on May 08, 2017, 01:44:36 AM
Working on 10-12bit 1:1 on 5D2 , as we know 3x crop works with 10 & 12 bit reduction but not 1:1 really well .
Thou in 12bit 1:1 you can record with corruption on every other frame on the top 100 or so lines .
I'm currently seeing the feasible of using bit reduction in a up coming documentary I been hired to shoot in 2 weeks for the sierra club (usa)
My needs are long shoot times , so low bite rate fits the bill .
Here a list of resolution's size I was possibly thinking of using with 12bit in 1:1 (as there corruption on the top of frame)
with the adjusted crop to remove corruption. I also listed the file size for 60 second or so to get max time for minimum card space
The base line is 14 bit 1856x928 23.976 fps (My minimum spec. for HD broadcast as it need to be up upscaled)
1856x928  23.976 14bit 59.9 seconds 1437 frames 4.05 GB 1:1 Liveview  ( 2:1 A.R.)
1856x1114 23.976 12bit 64.8 seconds 1554 frames 4.51 GB (crop adjust 1856x988) 126 line crop 1.878542510121457 A.R.
1856x1044 23.976 12bit 64.8 seconds 1554 frames 4.23 GB (Crop Adjust 1856x953) 91 line crop  1.947534102833158 A.R.
1856x1004 23.976 12bit 60.3 seconds 1447 frames 3.78 GB (crop Adjust 1856x932) 72 lines crop 1.991416309012876 A.R.
1856x928  23.976 12bit 60.1 seconds 1442 frames 3.49 GB (crop adjust 1856x895) 33 lines crop 2.073743016759777 A.R.

So There is really no saving after cropping , but 3x crop mode is a different matter all together .
Here 10bit really save me , as I can have to 20min per 64GB Card @ 1920x1076 @ 23.976fps
Thou the field of view is reduced , looks like the 24mm will gets a work out  :D
1920x1076 23.976 10bit 59.9 seconds 1437 frames 3.47 GB  (3x Crop Mode)  1.784386617100372 A.R.
So I save about 500 MB per minute which will add up fast. 4x 64gb card should be around 80 min's of 10bit 2K or 1920x1076.
Now I can use my slower 60MB/s CF cards to get
1856x928 23.976  10bit 60.1 seconds 1443 frames 2.91 GB  (3x crop)  (2:1  A.R.)

It looks like I'll being shooting in 10bit 3x crop for this doc.

Now for the real reason I started this post , as I said I'm work on 1:1 liveview 5d2 10-12bit.
I've being working on older code with .raw , just to keep it as simple as possible before I move on to .mlv full & mlv_lite.
At this Point I can record 10bit & 12bit , with out any lockups or screen freezes all overlays are working while recording bit reduction.
When not in bit reduction it return to 14bit and of course it work without problems.

Now the Problem  ::) there is always a problem , my issue is decoding the .raw to  dngs
My question is can I convert the .raw to .mlv ? as mlv_dump seem not to understand .raw
I'm currently uploading some of the .raw file to my Google drive to share , when done I'll post the links.

I couldn't get the 7d to work without freezing the liveview. So I bought a used 5d2 and spent last evening modifying and compiling the code on a trial and error. I can now get no corruption consistently by disabling the double buffer, but there's a bit of image shifting appearing at the top part from the previous frame.

dfort

It is interesting that some cameras that haven't been coded to work with 12/10bit seem to be working fine in crop mode. What I recently discovered is that some of the cameras in the 12/10bit branch are not working in crop mode (the 600D "Move crop mode). I'm testing with the EOSM and 700D. Anyone care to try it out and report back?

andy kh

Quote from: dfort on September 29, 2017, 08:56:24 AM
What I recently discovered is that some of the cameras in the 12/10bit branch are not working in crop mode (the 600D "Move crop mode). I'm testing with the EOSM and 700D. Anyone care to try it out and report back?

70D works fine
5D Mark III - 70D

IDA_ML

100D works fine too, even with sound!  Just playback of already recorded files yields a black screen but this used to work on previous builds, so I guess, it could be easily fixed.

dfort

Thanks for the feedback. What I should have said was if you're seeing flickering on the bottom of the LV when recording in the 600D Movie crop mode.

By the way, it has been a while since unified was merged into this branch so I gave it a shot and it merged cleanly. Tested on the EOSM and 700D (firmware version 115) and it is working fine--though it still has the flickering I just mentioned.

JimiHendrix

Hi, I am using this build with my 6d for 10bit/12bit video and am encountering a strange shutter speed bug that I don't get on the main Nightly Build. It seems that whatever I set the manual shutter speed too (M mode) in Canon it always displays 1/27.01th 333deg TV5.6 in the expo menu and it won't let me change it. It displays a different figure if I change the frame rate but seems impossible to get the standard 1/50th sec. I've tried disabling things and all kinds of combinations to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

a1ex

Is it a a display issue, or does the image brightness stay fixed as well?

The 6D is blindly maintained - can you record a video of the camera screen to show the issue, and also the difference from the regular nightly build?

In manual movie mode at 25 fps, ML should show 1/33.333 when Canon shutter speed is set to 1/30, and 1/50.000 when it's 1/50. Do you get these values on the nightly build?

JimiHendrix

Hi, thanks a lot for your reply and apologies for my slow response!

I've made video showing how my shutter speed is set to 1/50th and ISO 160 in manual mode. I then go to the ML Menu and it shows 1/27.01th 333deg TV5.6 ...the video is here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4n8mHr_jKcLUVY2Vy1GTmFXWEU/view?usp=sharing

I also notice (and you can see in the video at 0.31 secs) the ISO seems to change to 200.

With the regular nightly build I get the values you have said in your message.

Thanks again!

a1ex

Unable to evaluate the issue from Canon info screen - there are some important details not printed there. Press INFO to show ML screen.

Unable to locate the comparison with regular nightly (must be with the same settings in Canon and ML menus).

What happens at other shutter speeds?

What are your modified ML settings? (Delta menu; in particular, FPS override and Shutter fine-tuning)

From what I could tell, the ISO changes were triggered by autofocus (Canon firmware does that). Then, ML's gradual exposure makes the change a bit more obvious, but that only happens one second after AF, so it shouldn't be a show stopper.

PlantDaniel

I have issues with my 6D recording 10 bit 60fps RAW Video (using the highest resolution possible)

1. Extreme Aliasing: I have only shot 24fps RAW on a 70D before, which had pretty crippling aliasing already. The 6D tops it though - I don't know whether that is a known issue of the 6D or if it is due to the stretching I have to apply in post when working with Slow Motion footage. Anyways - any suggestions on how to decrease aliasing (in camera or in post)?

2. Weird Colour Artifacts: In Landscape shots, where a lot of the scene is in focus, I get weird colour lines of purple/blue and orange colour in my image. They seem to be only present in the area where the focus sits. Is that a known issue, if so: What can I do about it?

Here is a video showcasing the problems, pay attention to the structure of the rock, where the focus sits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PvSyJ_RX5g

I am using the 10 bit/12 bit nightly build fro Aug21 2017.

Post processing was as follows: Convert MLV to DNG via raw2cdng 1.7.9 - import into Davinci Resolve 14. No colour correction was added, the clip was slowed down to 24fps in post. Resolve is not the issue - I have rendered it with After Effects too, same problems.

OlegK

Hello Guys!
I installed Magic Lantern with 10-12 bit support on a 6D, and noticed one bug.
Shutter number seems to be stucked, when I change it its changes, I can see it but number not changing, its always show 26.
How can I fix it?

cheap image hosting

On other builds it works just fine.

CITY-U1001

i wait good mode for 50d  ::) now badly frames in 10bit
50D | EFS 18-55 | last build crop_rec-3744x1080_24fps_50D-eXperimental.4.57pm.2020May06.50D109.zip

dfort

I might have something that is starting to work for Digic IV cameras that use LVState instead of EVF_STATE. This includes the 5D2, 50D, 500D, 550D and 7D. It is still an early work in progress but using the the excellent work @nanomad did with the 1100D on the allocate-raw-lv-buffer branch and some hints from @a1ex I was able to get CONFIG_EDMAC_RAW_SLURP working on LVState cameras. (Note: Canon uses the LVState string but in the ML code it is called LV_STATE.)

Now for the weird part. It used to be that these cameras sort of worked with 10bit/12bit when in zoom mode but not in regular mv1080 and mv720 modes. With this build mv1080 works but the other modes don't. In fact if you switch over to another mode then back to mv1080, it stops working. Deleting the SETTINGS folder from the card clears it up. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Here is my work in progress: https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/pull-requests/16/10bit-12bit-for-lvstate-cameras/diff

I also put up test builds on my Bitbucket downloads page for the 7D, 5D2, 50D, 550D and 1100D. I still need to get the SRM_BUFFER_SIZE for the 500D in order to get that camera working. I'll make it easy, use the find-SRM_BUFFER_SIZE build also on the downloads page. Simply take a simple silent still and it should show up on the screen.

The 1100D is a special case. I suspect that the 10bit/12bit build on the experiments page probably isn't working. Even though it is an EVF_STATE camera it might need the allocate-raw-lv-buffer method so if you have access to an 1100D please test and report. I could also use the SRM_BUFFER_SIZE for the 1100D but I can't help you with a special build because the silent module isn't compiling on that camera.

Speaking of the silent module, it isn't compiling in the raw_video_10bit_12bit branch either. Need to look into that.

masc

Great progress! I tried out your version for 5D2.
Tested standard setting + mlv_rec enabled + 1856x1044 + 10bit/12bit/14bit.
Unfortunately, the picture on the screen starts flickering when starting recording. It is okay again, when recording is stopped. I watched the clips on the computer: it looks the same as on the cameras screen. That happens in all 3 bitdepth modes.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

dfort

@masc - thanks for the report. I just uploaded a allocate-raw-lv-buffer version for the 5D2. Could you try it and report back? It will look and behave like an older build before mlv_lite but the raw video backend works differently.

Found the problem with the silent module not compiling in the raw_video_10bit_12bit branch:

-    raw_set_preview_rect(raw_info.active_area.x1, raw_info.active_area.y1, raw_info.active_area.x2 - raw_info.active_area.x1, raw_info.active_area.y2 - raw_info.active_area.y1);
+    raw_set_preview_rect(raw_info.active_area.x1, raw_info.active_area.y1, raw_info.active_area.x2 - raw_info.active_area.x1, raw_info.active_area.y2 - raw_info.active_area.y1, 1);
-            raw_set_preview_rect(raw_info.active_area.x1, raw_info.active_area.y1, raw_info.active_area.x2 - raw_info.active_area.x1, raw_info.active_area.y2 - raw_info.active_area.y1);
+            raw_set_preview_rect(raw_info.active_area.x1, raw_info.active_area.y1, raw_info.active_area.x2 - raw_info.active_area.x1, raw_info.active_area.y2 - raw_info.active_area.y1, 0);

However, a better fix would be to merge unified because the raw_video_10bit_12bit branch is falling way behind. It still has 700D.114 instead of 115.

masc

Tried your allocate-raw-lv-buffer.2017Dec06.5D2212.zip:
- I activated mlv_rec
- after restart and LV enable, in the left corner below is a "BUSY"
- I activated 1856x1044 again
- start recording - picture on screen is no more actualized
- stop recording - live view is back
Then I watched the clip on the computer: it looks corrupted in the same way as the other 10/12/14 bit clips.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202