50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

riccardocovino

@silkway @andy600
I don't know why but my first video with the latest TL had same green awful colors and it was impossible to recover.
I turned off the camera, checked every setting, shot a second video, and everything was fine.
But first video was exactly like that, awfully green.
So, probably it's a matter of some setting.
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

Andy600

Quote from: Silkway on August 13, 2013, 02:21:28 PM
Yeah it has a look in stills as well. A different thing probably, but also unique and fancy.

Yeah i thought 1% said that the reason of green cast is going beyond limits of actual ISO ability of canon 50d.
If thats not the case, looking forward to know what is the reason...

The 50D is probably using different ISO values than what Dual ISO is expecting. Dual ISO was developed on the 5d3 and 7D which have different FW, ISO ranges and sensors than the 50D
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Quote from: riccardocovino on August 13, 2013, 02:23:31 PM
@silkway @andy600
I don't know why but my first video with the latest TL had same green awful colors and it was impossible to recover.
I turned off the camera, checked every setting, shot a second video, and everything was fine.
But first video was exactly like that, awfully green.
So, probably it's a matter of some setting.

Was that after trying Dual ISO?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Andy600

johansugarev

Should I wait before trying Dual ISO in photo mode? Is it safe enough right now? Is there an easy conversion tool for Mac?

D.L. Watson

Quote from: Silkway on August 13, 2013, 11:46:50 AM
hey can u explane this thing? im interested
what is flatz preset? is it just to make flat unsaturared picture for color grading?
i know u apply it in adobe camera raw in after effects import of dng files
but do you need to apply it to every frame or to sequence?

and why my after effects doesn't have output formats such ad DNxHD
maybe i have to update it?

and what is it unique about da vinci and why use it?
i mean can u suggest after effects plug in alternative to work with your flatz preset

also i cant even export to prores 4444 or anything...

my adobe cs6 is kinda empty...

this is what ive got after using your preset
btw this i did on 640 by 240 resolution raw on canon 50d on iso 1600 or so...
coz i wanted to test raw video on old compact flash card from kingston
it is speed around 6 mb/sec  24fps
compared to my other card which is lexar x1000 55 mb/sec
that can record something around 1585 by 900 or more

not so bad for 6 mb/sec 24fps raw recording isnt it?

Hey there Silkway.

I'm not sure why your image is cast green - there must be a white balance issue. The preset does not affect your white balance - that you must set yourself using the eye drop tool in ACR.

The flatz preset does not manipulate saturation - it uses tonemapping to get as much detail out of your shadows and highlights to be able to render to a more manageable file format for grading. You apply it to a sequence, but you can also use Bridge to apply it to all of your DNG's at once if you prefer.

To get the DNxHD file formats, you need to download them from AVID here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en350875

Davinci is a powerful industry standard color correction software. Naturally, I prefer it for professional work. Unlike Adobe AE, it provides you with a RGB Parade to see if your grades/colors are broadcast legal.

Here is a workflow video I did quickly covering the basics of this preset:

See my portfolio of work at www.dlwatson.net

Silkway

Quote from: D.L. Watson on August 13, 2013, 04:42:57 PM
Hey there Silkway.

I'm not sure why your image is cast green - there must be a white balance issue. The preset does not affect your white balance - that you must set yourself using the eye drop tool in ACR.

about cat from raw video? it is not green. i just color graded it so it looks green
but the dual iso stills are green by themselves
in some way it is good - ready color grading in raw hehe

The flatz preset does not manipulate saturation - it uses tonemapping to get as much detail out of your shadows and highlights to be able to render to a more manageable file format for grading. You apply it to a sequence, but you can also use Bridge to apply it to all of your DNG's at once if you prefer.

To get the DNxHD file formats, you need to download them from AVID here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Compatibility/en350875

Thanks for the link. I will check it out. Also probably the Apple ProRes must be downloaded same way?

Davinci is a powerful industry standard color correction software. Naturally, I prefer it for professional work. Unlike Adobe AE, it provides you with a RGB Parade to see if your grades/colors are broadcast legal.

Here is a workflow video I did quickly covering the basics of this preset:

Yeah ive seen your workflow tutorial. But this doesnt cover the work in Da Vinci software.
So if you can make one, i would love to learn from you!

because i loaded my DNG files with cat
i applied your preset Flatz
it made it kinda flat
then i try after effects to enhance the sequence
but i couldnt make it shine, as it shown on your tutorial

i need your tips about Da Vinci post processing... to make my raw look like yours (even i used low resolution)

Andy600

@Silkway - might I suggest you look here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=14.0

Grading and workflow has been covered extensively.

riccardocovino

Quote from: Andy600 on August 13, 2013, 02:32:30 PM
Was that after trying Dual ISO?
no, I didn't try dual ISO.
Just put the build in the CF and first video was all green, darker than liveview, with insane contrast.
BMCC - 50D - D5200 - Nex5N

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on August 13, 2013, 01:26:27 PM
Good for you :) I know a lot of pros who would disagree with that. For ISO and DR, the 50D is inferior to most Rebels and certainly inferior to the newer cameras but it's still good for the money. TBH I just saw some footage from the Digital Bolex and IMO the 50D easily matches it.... probably betters it.

I highlighted the ISO range not for dual ISO but for raw video (although it will have relevance to Dual ISO too) because if this is the case it will be better to shoot within the ISO limitations of the camera and increase/decrease exposure etc in post. It's all about getting the best SNR and DR from the sensor no matter what it's specific limitations are. Digitally amplifying ISO in-camera can be inferior to doing it in an image editing app AFIK.

You right Andy the 50D seems to surpass the Digital Bolex footage.. makes me love my 50D even more now. 

Lukas1221

Hi everybody,

I am new to raw recording on the 50d and I wanted to ask if any resolutions higher than 2000*1080 will be available to use in future builds.

Thanks

SebaVuye

Hey new to the forums, but not to magic lantern :)

Just want to tell you people how awesome you are. Big love for magic lantern.

I have a question to acctually,

How come you can't record in 1080p without crop? Because of the cf card speeds or camera write limitations? Shooting in crop is a hell for framing :p

And can you playback your recorded raw footage? Seems like I can't find that option?

thanks!

araucaria

Quote from: SebaVuye on August 13, 2013, 10:42:08 PM
Hey new to the forums, but not to magic lantern :)

Just want to tell you people how awesome you are. Big love for magic lantern.

I have a question to acctually,

How come you can't record in 1080p without crop? Because of the cf card speeds or camera write limitations? Shooting in crop is a hell for framing :p

And can you playback your recorded raw footage? Seems like I can't find that option?

thanks!
In tragic lantern there is a ML preview which is a low fps black and white live view hack which shows the exact framing, it has some limitations but it works. You can't record 1080 outside of cropmode.

SebaVuye

Quote from: araucaria on August 13, 2013, 10:48:09 PM
In tragic lantern there is a ML preview which is a low fps black and white live view hack which shows the exact framing, it has some limitations but it works. You can't record 1080 outside of cropmode.

Ah thanks! Didn't know that. Is 1080p recording in no crop something realistic to archive or more like something impossible? :p

Molinsky

Quote from: SebaVuye on August 13, 2013, 10:54:13 PM
Ah thanks! Didn't know that. Is 1080p recording in no crop something realistic to archive or more like something impossible? :p

It's impossible. I know it's hard to find answers in such big topic, but that was explained: the RAW image is from the LiveView image, which uses only one line of pixels at each three lines. So, 4752/3 is 1584.

Gekko

Quote from: Andy600 on August 13, 2013, 03:32:35 PM
[OT]
Just as predicted, the BMPCC is shipping without raw

Oh boy...all my prayers useless.
:-\

Silkway

Quote from: Andy600 on August 13, 2013, 05:17:44 PM
@Silkway - might I suggest you look here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=14.0

Grading and workflow has been covered extensively.

Oh thank you sir!

Its exciting to get adressed messages from a person who actually compiled our magic software that sits in our favourite canon 50d and makes us happy =)

I find some interesting articles there such as RAW and audio syncing.

But I still want to get the tutorial from D.I.Watson

simply because it is his unique author workflow
and because what i see from his works is exactly what i like
and i would love to be able to do similar stuff in my post production for footage i get from canon 50d raw video)

p.s. also excited about communications with mister 1%
who is actually we expect fixes green cast on dual iso of canon 50d)

a little off topic
when i first heard about magic lantern
i thought deveplopers must be about green lantern the movie
and now when we see green stuff in dual iso raw stills of canon 50d
that thought comes in my mind - its green because its green lantern)

lomka

Is it technically possible for 50D to do dual iso raw video?

Supermac

Actually I have a question that I couldn't find answers to earlier in the forum, why can't we get more than 1080 vertical resolution in crop mode?

Cheers

1%

It seems to use only 1 reg in video mode.. I tried setting it manually and nothing happened.

araucaria

Okay, there have been popping up presets for After Effects/Adobe to get flat pictures, import or render them to 10bit and apply luts or whatever. I've also read people complaining about flickering in ACR.

So far so good, I remember that on LRtimelapse (nice program) there is a general consens to not use highlight recovery, black , white, shadows,etc... because they are not linear but some "secret sauce" which depends on the scene. This doesn't matter to stills (which it was designed for) but when movement comes into play this can actually generate flicker. It does not always happen, but sometimes you get the flickering.

To avoid this, I have "created" two a camera profiles which give you a very flat picture style and some desaturation. This is just a test as I'm not an expert but I think it works fine (tried out with the 50d raw video with cdng files). I will look into it again when I have some time. Here are the camera profiles:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxxj82szbimxn8f/MLfilm%20slight.dcp
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yhv4qsquaygs3s/MLfilm%20strong.dcp

You have to put them into c:/users/"your username"/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

Afterwards they should appear under the camera calibration tab.

SebaVuye

Quote from: Molinsky on August 13, 2013, 11:05:40 PM
It's impossible. I know it's hard to find answers in such big topic, but that was explained: the RAW image is from the LiveView image, which uses only one line of pixels at each three lines. So, 4752/3 is 1584.

Ah damn. Thanks for the help.

PressureFM

Quote from: araucaria on August 14, 2013, 04:58:11 AM
Okay, there have been popping up presets for After Effects/Adobe to get flat pictures, import or render them to 10bit and apply luts or whatever. I've also read people complaining about flickering in ACR.

So far so good, I remember that on LRtimelapse (nice program) there is a general consens to not use highlight recovery, black , white, shadows,etc... because they are not linear but some "secret sauce" which depends on the scene. This doesn't matter to stills (which it was designed for) but when movement comes into play this can actually generate flicker. It does not always happen, but sometimes you get the flickering.

To avoid this, I have "created" two a camera profiles which give you a very flat picture style and some desaturation. This is just a test as I'm not an expert but I think it works fine (tried out with the 50d raw video with cdng files). I will look into it again when I have some time. Here are the camera profiles:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxxj82szbimxn8f/MLfilm%20slight.dcp
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8yhv4qsquaygs3s/MLfilm%20strong.dcp

You have to put them into c:/users/"your username"/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/CameraRaw/CameraProfiles

Afterwards they should appear under the camera calibration tab.

On a Mac you have to:

• Download and install the DNG Profile Editor from Adobe
  • File -> Open an DNG image
  • Under Base Profile load the custom .dcp camera profile
  • File -> Export Profile, which will save it in the correct folder, so you can use it in AE or PS

araucaria

Quote from: PressureFM on August 14, 2013, 11:43:39 AM
On a Mac you have to:

• Download and install the DNG Profile Editor from Adobe
  • File -> Open an DNG image
  • Under Base Profile load the custom .dcp camera profile
  • File -> Export Profile, which will save it in the correct folder, so you can use it in AE or PS
I think you will have to do the same on windows.