550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DomeCGI

Luchiano

Hi all! this is my first post, i just to install ML in my t2i, and test around, there really great to raw filming!, so i been thinking about of the memory matters, and capabilities of t2i, is a good idea compile a build, with only Movie mode, can be reach more memory and resources for processing raw video?
Is very possible that my question can be a trash! jaja be free to ignore.
Greetings!

Jackeatley

Quote from: Luchiano on August 19, 2014, 04:41:23 AM
Hi all! this is my first post, i just to install ML in my t2i, and test around, there really great to raw filming!, so i been thinking about of the memory matters, and capabilities of t2i, is a good idea compile a build, with only Movie mode, can be reach more memory and resources for processing raw video?
Is very possible that my question can be a trash! jaja be free to ignore.
Greetings!

Its not going to be easy to switch off those canon modes, ML runs on top of DryOS rather than replacing it.  You could try switching off every other module that you don't need and switching off GD, but it probably won't help, the files your writing are so large that you'd need an enormous buffer to cope, there just isn't one there.

BGStudios

Hi All, first-timer here. I've scoured the message boards but can't seem to find anything about my issue, so forgive me if this is redundant.

I've installed ML on my T2i and can't seem to find any mention of recording RAW in the video menu (or anywhere else for that matter). I've seen screen shots that show an obvious menu option for RAW but it's nowhere on mine. I've even updated to the most recent NB (2014Aug20.550D109) and the menus did change but still no RAW option.

Going crazy here and I feel like it's a simple fix or answer that I've overlooked.

Here are the options listed in the VIDEO menu:

• Bit Rate (CBR)
• REC key
• Gradual Exposure
• FPS Override
• HDR Video
• Vignetting
• Image Fine-Tuning
• Creative Effects
• Movie Tweaks

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Walter Schulz

Access modules tab. Activate MLV_REC.MO or RAW_REC.MO ("Or" means "or" as in "or"). Restart cam and visit movie tab again.
Card interface is limited to about 21 MByte/s and therefore resolution/record time is limited, too.

vicsan

Hi guys.
This is my first post on the forum, the reason is because I would like someone to help me with a question.
I'm a fan of my camera and ML and excellent working tool until today. I have installed the "Nightly.2014Jun09.550D109" and did some tests on RAW, but as we all know the issue of the buffer is limited.
So I wonder if it is possible to have a 1080 output for connecting an external recorder?
Or some updating ML permitted?

In advance thank you very much.

PD: Sorry for my English, I'm using a translator.

Alex546

So I wonder if it is possible to have a 1080 output for connecting an external recorder?

- Not without hardware mods. You may grab the RAW stream and send in directly to a ssd with a custom grabber. This should be possible, but you will need to know where the RAW stream comes from/it goes to .

Without telling you much bullshit, the cameras RAW stream is, as far as I know, constructed like this.

Sensor => CPU => SD card

The sensor grabs the full RAW stream, the CPU convert the raw Stream in a .mov stream and then it is written to the SD card. The trick to get the RAW feature in magic lantern is, that the display of the camera (please correct me if Iam wrong) is using the full RAW stream to display the image. There, they have grabbed it to write it directly to SD card - genious. As all we know, the 550d is limited to about 21mb/s write speed, so technically the only problem would be the writespeed on SD card.

I had concepts to replace the camera SD card writer with an IDE ssd, but there are still some limitations on the firmware.
I thought about using the USB 2.0 controller to stream 1080p raw to a notebook (USB 2.0 is 480Mbps max. so this should be ok) (well Iam definitly not the first one) But there are also some limitations. The standard grab from the camera to usb goes after the stream is converted by the cpu, so there is technically a little chance to overwrite the CPU stream to USB with the RAW stream, but I had no concept to get this working :(
Well, there are a lot of more competent people in this community than me. So just my two cents here.

Jackeatley

Usb2 is 480 megabits. We are in need of 80 odd megabytes. 80 megabytes is 640 megabits. It's also serial, and very very bad for continuos data throughput.

The camera would have no idea what to do with a IDE slot. You also need to fool it's card door into keeping it powered up.

We can't be sure the SD is the only bottleneck, we won't know until we can fix it, which isn't going to happen.

In short full hd possible is pretty much nonsense.

Also consider what HD means and wonder if a bayer patterned output around 1800px can ever be HD?

truemoscow

Need HELP! When I use an external monitor via HDMI (Phottix 7"), I have some magenta artifacts on my pictures. Do you have any idea how to fix that?

Jackeatley

Quote from: truemoscow on November 12, 2014, 07:38:53 AM
Need HELP! When I use an external monitor via HDMI (Phottix 7"), I have some magenta artifacts on my pictures. Do you have any idea how to fix that?

You can have that occur without the monitor, it occurs when you use global draw when recording on the 550d in my experience. It is also more likely to occur in MLV.

Keilani

Hi everyone,

I am so frustrated in getting my raw files to transfer to dng ones its been literally days of searching and constant failure.

I'm running OSX 10.6.8 SnowLeopard

I've tried terminal, couldn't find raw to dng converters

and just basically fed up I need help if anyone is able to help me out.

pilgrim

Quote from: Keilani on December 07, 2014, 08:25:41 AM
Hi everyone,

I am so frustrated in getting my raw files to transfer to dng ones its been literally days of searching and constant failure.

I'm running OSX 10.6.8 SnowLeopard

I've tried terminal, couldn't find raw to dng converters

and just basically fed up I need help if anyone is able to help me out.

Try MLRawviewer, it's work great...  :) find in the other thread which almost appear daily.

Keilani

Rawviwer requires 10.7 and up osx I only have 10.6.8 so is there anything compatible with that osx?

I think I'll have to upgrade to Lion to use any of the applications to access the raw files.

Keilani

Hey everyone,

So I've gotten to the stage where I've created a sequence in Adobe after effects however when I play my sequence. I keep getting the error NOT real time fps. I shot the clip with the Magic Lantern FPS overwrite from 24 to 21. But, now when I play the clip in after effects I keep getting the error. Is there a fix for this?

Was shooting this on my Canon t2i
960x402 1.33

Alex546

This is a specific after effects problem. If you render out your video, your fps should be great.
The "not in realtime" problem could be hardware based, or a result of a missing pre-render.
I would recommend you to render out your footage.

Keilani

I figured it out someone on vimeo told me to take the dngs import them into photoshop export them into jpegs then import them back into premier pro as a timelapse sequence.

mvesseur

I'll readily admit that I'm a newbie, a dummy, a greenhorn and whatever else you can think of, but still: why is it so hard to find simple instructions plus working links to the files needed for RAW video on my "new" 550D? The entire ML community is great and much to be commended for experimenting, sharing, etc. Kudos, gratitude, congratulations and jubilations! But the amount of weed a newbie has to whack through to get to the actual fruit of y'all's labour is intense!

Would anyone be so kind as to put a download link here to the most current workable folder with the files I need to replace? I've got the latest nightly build of ML installed and it works like a charm. For which thanks - it's really quite a remarkable feat. Genuinely appreciated.

Walter Schulz

No need to download anything.
Modules tab -> Enable RAW_REC.mo or MLV_REC.mo. Restart cam.
Movie tab -> Enable RAW recording. Adjust settings.

Please be aware 550D's SD-card interface is limited to about 21 MByte/s transfer rate. 720p24 in RAW continuous is not an option for you.

mvesseur

Wonderful guys. It was there all the time. LOL. Already fooling around with it. Thanks a million.

Tavi

Hello,

First of all, I want to thank you for this wonderful software. I install recently Magic Lantern on my Canon 550D (v2.3 and the update from 6th of April 2015), mainly for raw recording in crop movie mode, but I have a few problems.
The main problem is a strange offset in the actual recording, not visible in the live view. It is somewhat bothering for me. Does anyone know what is the cause of this offset (~70 pixels)? Is there any possibility of correction?
See the image below:

Thanks in advance!

Pollodecoca

I have installed Magic Lantern 2.3 in my Canon EOS 550D and Modules opcion doesnt appear in the magic lantern menu

What can i do, i want to record RAW videos with my camera

Thanks!

Sorry the bad english, i hope you can understand me

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Nightly builds
Erase autoexec.bin, ML directory and FIR from card and copy extracted nightly contents to card.

And be warned: 550D is limited to about 21 MByte/s in recording mode and that doesn't give you that much options for resolution/frame rate.

Pollodecoca

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 07, 2015, 05:44:27 PM
Top of page -> Downloads -> Nightly builds
Erase autoexec.bin, ML directory and FIR from card and copy extracted nightly contents to card.

And be warned: 550D is limited to about 21 MByte/s in recording mode and that doesn't give you that much options for resolution/frame rate.

damn, what a waste of 60 MB/s speed card

Thanks for the info mate! :))