6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisyboy

Okay so obviously with all the recent developments with RAW, all the Dev's have their hands a bit full so I thought I would start a thread about how to get started with installing Magic Lantern on a 6D and get started with RAW Video.

There is no "official" release yet and it is still being ported over by the kick ass cyber ninjas 1% and coutts but I figured their (and the other Dev's) time is better spent with the developing side than helping mere mortals like you and me get this installed on our beloved cameras. It has to be said that the Dev's here are all super committed to helping us all make this work and from my experience seem to do all of this while asking nothing in return. However, if you look at the steps involved in installing an unreleased/experimental version of Magic Lantern (which really is quite quick and simple, it's just that it takes a lot of explaining to someone who has no idea what a "bin" is) then that really is a full time job on it's own if you think about how many people ask this question on a daily.

So I decided start a new thread and to provide a guide from my own experience of being a n00b to get started with Magic Lantern and RAW video shooting in an attempt to take some of the strain off the Dev's so that they can concentrate more on perfecting Magic Lantern and RAW shooting so we can reap all the benefits and buy expensive jewelry and fancy hats from all the profits we make when using it on our kick ass videos (mwahahahaha).

Ps. If anyone wants to give me details on how to make a card bootable in Mac or Linux OS then I'll update the guide. Please make it as simple to follow as possible (as in remember that some people are completely alien to this). Thank you  8)

rpmcam

very good idea men, waiting for it!!!
its a good place to start cause , sincerely if you dont really follow the threads, it's very easy to get confuse. And for my that im in a zillion forums trying new stuff it's great!!!
Thxs!!! and waiting to test it! (never try ML before)

Canon 6D, EF 24-105 f4L

noisyboy

Please let me know if anyone has success with this. Feedback is appreciated. Cheers.

noisyboy

Okay so I've had a message saying it all successfully installed (hooray) but that after a few seconds of raw recording they get err70 crash (boooo!). So bare with me until I get this sorted with them and I'll try and post the fix shortly. I anyone else has this problem let me know. Cheers.

noisyboy

If anyone else gets error 70 when recording raw, just pull battery and try this:

Format card.

Run EOScard and check usual boxes and save.

Replace files on card with files in this zip: Obsolete link removed - Please use the official nightly builds //Audionut

MODULES, SCRIPTS folders and ini files go in ML folder. Autoexec and FIR file go in route.

lukini2006

HOW COME NOBODY CAME BY THIS POST AND THANKED NOISYBOY!? I got it working thanks to you man! I registered only to thank you!

noisyboy

Quote from: lukini2006 on May 21, 2013, 02:33:51 AM
HOW COME NOBODY CAME BY THIS POST AND THANKED NOISYBOY!? I got it working thanks to you man! I registered only to thank you!

You're very welcome dude and thank you!  8)

Would you mind telling me how you got on? Did RAW video work with the files included in the zip or did you get errors and have to use the additional files posted later on?

fauxtographer

6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

kuchtui

Thank you noisyboy for this guide, works perfectly.
Here is my first ML RAW-video (1504 x600): ???

https://vimeo.com/66564027

yoyoteng

Got it working too!  ;D ;D

Thank you Noisyboy, and of course, 1% and other contributors that made Magic Lantern work on the 6D.

I encountered a minor problem where at steps 6 and 13, when pressing save, EOScard.exe gave a popup window with the error "zip format".  There was no errors when only EOS_DEVELOP was checked.  Anyways, to bypass these errors for steps 6 and 13, I jumped to steps 7 and 15, respectively, and then repeated steps 6 or 13 again, then continued on the tutorial.  Basically, I had to copy Magic Lantern's firmware first to the SD card and then run EOScard.

Thanks again for the excellent tutorial.  8)

noisyboy

Quote from: kuchtui on May 21, 2013, 07:00:15 AM
Thank you noisyboy for this guide, works perfectly.
Here is my first ML RAW-video (1504 x600): ???

https://vimeo.com/66564027

Cool man :) Particularly like shots from 00:26-00:36! Colours look brilliants!

noisyboy

Quote from: yoyoteng on May 21, 2013, 07:15:27 AM
Got it working too!  ;D ;D

Thank you Noisyboy, and of course, 1% and other contributors that made Magic Lantern work on the 6D.

I encountered a minor problem where at steps 6 and 13, when pressing save, EOScard.exe gave a popup window with the error "zip format".  There was no errors when only EOS_DEVELOP was checked.  Anyways, to bypass these errors for steps 6 and 13, I jumped to steps 7 and 15, respectively, and then repeated steps 6 or 13 again, then continued on the tutorial.  Basically, I had to copy Magic Lantern's firmware first to the SD card and then run EOScard.

Thanks again for the excellent tutorial.  8)

No worries :) Thanks for sharing your experience and how you got around it. I shall amend the guide if this becomes a problem for others! Much appreciated!

rpmcam

i'll try tonight and post. And yes, Thanks noisyboy and all the team of ML

The video of kuchtui had a lot of aliasing, don`t u think??

Canon 6D, EF 24-105 f4L

noisyboy

Quote from: rpmcam on May 21, 2013, 01:44:35 PM
i'll try tonight and post. And yes, Thanks noisyboy and all the team of ML

The video of kuchtui had a lot of aliasing, don`t u think??

Yeah man - it's a bit of a problem. Don't think there is much we can do but be clever in how we shoot and treat in post. I just posted this in another thread but worth posting here just incase it helps others:

I personally found that moire appears a bit worse when shooting raw on the 6D, not because raw is making it worse as it were but its not got the compression hiding what is already there as much. Basically it could be down to the raw image being so unforgiving without the compression softening the detail. That and the line skipping on mkII and 6D making things so shit. I found after a lot of playing that you can help fight this in post with two things. The color artifacts can be treated by using a plugin like RE:Vision smooth kit to Gaussion Blur just the chroma. This is also possible by applying an anti moire filter in your Adobe raw settings when importing to AE by choosing the filter brush and painting using it to mask the whole image and then adjusting the moire slider to remove the horrible color artifacts. Be careful not to go too far as it can blur the wrong colors too much. After that you can use a plugin like Re:Vision Anti-Staircase (also a part of Smoothkit) in After Effects (it's called something like that) to blur the aliasing (a value of about 70 helps a lot). This of course blurs the image slightly but once the aliasing is smoothed you can return some sharpness with a sharp filter or un-sharp  mask. Better the image slightly soft anyway than having your image shimmering with moire and aliasing. Blugh!  8) I'll try and upload some comparison videos when I get a chance.

noisyboy

UPDATE

If you want the latest raw shooting module which is up to date with the current development AND keeps the improved speeds of the previous module then replace files on your card with the files from this zip at the top of this page:

Obsolete link removed - Please use the official nightly builds //Audionut

(you want the one titled "[113] Updates- Bracketing Prefix in Transition .zip").

Mad props to 1%

oreosandcola

Quote from: noisyboy on May 20, 2013, 04:07:52 PM

9: With a full battery, with "M" (MANUAL) shooting mode, update your cameras firmware as per the Canon 6D instruction manual. This will now use the ML Developer Firmware (6D-112.fir) to "Set the Bootflag" on you camera. In n00b terms, this basically means that you'll be able to use Magic Lantern on your 6D.

Ok so I apologize for wasting time with a silly question like this but I'm certain I've followed every step (multiple times) and I keep getting an error "update file cannot be found" when I try to install this firmware. Anyone know why this may be happening? Thank you for any help!

DimonCJ

Hello,
i can't install ML on my 6D. Problem is that firmware is 1.1.2 and i go from step 1 to step 5; I follow the instruction, but on the 9 step i got this error:
QuoteFirmware update program
=================
Update file error.
Please check the memory card and reload the battery and try again.
and even firmware file selection menu didn't show. But if copy original 1.1.2 - 6D000112.FIR , then firmware file selection menu shows and i can even choose file 6D-112.fir, but then i've got same error on 30% : http://i.imgur.com/hhrs5vS.png

noisyboy

Quote from: DimonCJ on May 22, 2013, 09:56:08 PM
Hello,
i can't install ML on my 6D. Problem is that firmware is 1.1.2 and i go from step 1 to step 5; I follow the instruction, but on the 9 step i got this error:  and even firmware file selection menu didn't show. But if copy original 1.1.2 - 6D000112.FIR , then firmware file selection menu shows and i can even choose file 6D-112.fir, but then i've got same error on 30% : http://i.imgur.com/hhrs5vS.png

Hey!

So just to make sure, you are running Firmware 1.1.2?

You have formatted your SD card?

You have then run EOScard and selected the two checkboxes as instructed and clicked save?

After this do you see any files on your SD card?

noisyboy

Quote from: oreosandcola on May 22, 2013, 07:37:14 PM
Ok so I apologize for wasting time with a silly question like this but I'm certain I've followed every step (multiple times) and I keep getting an error "update file cannot be found" when I try to install this firmware. Anyone know why this may be happening? Thank you for any help!

Same questions as I have just asked DimonCJ apply here. I don't think it should matter but having the card bootable with all the other necessary ML files made a difference to me. Without them I had the same update error.

uglydrunkling

Quote from: oreosandcola on May 22, 2013, 07:37:14 PM

Try a smaller SD card. I had the same problem using a 64GB card. Then I tried a 4GB card and it worked like a charm.

Skimming the ML manual I found that the ML firmware updates don't work on cards larger than a certain size. But now that I am trying to find the exact passage, I can't. I swear I read it somewhere.

DimonCJ

Quote from: noisyboy on May 22, 2013, 10:43:12 PM
Hey!

>So just to make sure, you are running Firmware 1.1.2?
Yes, I'm sure. I re-firmwared it twice.

>You have formatted your SD card?
Yes, I tried both on 6D and on PC. BTW, my card is AData 64 GB UHS-1 exFat.

>You have then run EOScard and selected the two checkboxes as instructed and clicked save?
Yes, I tried version from your archive and tried old (that don't download ML).

>After this do you see any files on your SD card?
Yes, I see it the new version of EOSCard. And I deleted them.

neofg

Here a (bad quality) first test with 600D. It's very impressive to look at sharpness, detail and gamma with this format. I shoot max 42 frames at 25 fps with my 30 MB/s Class 10 SD...

uglydrunkling

Quote from: DimonCJ on May 23, 2013, 01:06:51 PM

This is exactly what I am talking about. I used a Sony 64 GB UHS-1 exFat, and my camera couldn't find the updater. Then I used a regular old FAT32 4 GB instead and it found the updater right away.

noisyboy

Quote from: DimonCJ on May 23, 2013, 01:06:51 PM

>So just to make sure, you are running Firmware 1.1.2?
Yes, I'm sure. I re-firmwared it twice.

>You have then run EOScard and selected the two checkboxes as instructed and clicked save?
Yes, I tried version from your archive and tried old (that don't download ML).

>After this do you see any files on your SD card?
Yes, I see it the new version of EOSCard. And I deleted them.

Not forgotten you bro - just gonna try and downgrade and perform the installation process again and see if there is a problem. Did you try a smaller card as suggested by uglydunking?