Become a Moderator

Started by nanomad, May 20, 2013, 12:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanomad

Since the forum is growing larger after the RAW video stuff, I think it's about time we have a proper moderation team that keeps stuff organized.

Moderators' duties are:
- Basic topics management (split / close / move when appropriate)
- User management (issue bans / warnings and so on)

The only requirements are:
- Basic english read/write skills
- Have a bunch of helpful posts on the forum
- Have some free time to spare

When applying, state your local time zone, free hours and if you'd like to moderate a particular board.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

noisyboy

Quote from: nanomad on May 20, 2013, 12:38:04 PM
Since the forum is growing larger after the RAW video stuff, I think it's about time we have a proper moderation team that keeps stuff organized.

Moderators' duties are:
- Basic topics management (split / close / move when appropriate)
- User management (issue bans / warnings and so on)

The only requirements are:
- Basic english read/write skills
- Have a bunch of helpful posts on the forum
- Have some free time to spare

When applying, state your local time zone, free hours and if you'd like to moderate a particular board.

Hey man! I am interested. In UK so GMT here. My hours vary due to doing Theatre and Film so I'm working anything from nothing to 100+ hours a week but almost always have the iPad with me and I'm on here on the regular. most of my activity has been around the 6D and 7D threads and I'm gonna start a new thread and also an install guide (as soon as someone can proof it for me) for 6D in a jiffy but I really don't mind what I do as long as it contributes and helps the ML community :)

Kraig.

squig

What is this free hours thing you speak of?   ???

Given that it's highly likely I'm going to be shooting a feature with the ML MK3 raw in a few months I'm going to be around a lot anyway so why not.

AEST. I'm gonna be spending most of my time in general dev and post workflow.

RenatoPhoto

I can help with 5D3 most of the time but sometimes I may unreachable for up to two or three weeks.
Could work on Tutorials since I am not a programmer.  (UTC/GMT) -5
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Lucas_W

AEST (GMT+10), free hours would be 4+ hours on weekdays and weekends. No preference to any particular board. I own/administrate and moderate my own forum as well. I frequently visit the IRC chat as well.
Canon EOS 650D + Kit lens, EF 50mm 1.8 and 52mm polariser.

SDX

GMT+1.
I usually spend up to several hours daily on the forum (and the chat, if that helps).
I would prefer the development board, but any other would be fine as well.

N/A

I'll throw my hat in the ring. GMT -4, usually on the general discussion and "share" boards.

I'm pretty much on here all the time. Well, as long as 4G or wi-fi is close by.

Been frequenting many different forums for years now as well, so I have a good idea of how they should operate.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Audionut

GMT +10.  I'm happy with whatever boards need help.

I'm generally online 12pm-02am forum board time most days.  I've performed similar tasks at other sites.

blade

I would like to help, GMT +1. I can spend some time daily to moderate a tread. I follow the 650D tread, however i would not mind tending to something else.

eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

nanomad

Welcome on board to our new moderation staff  :D

Noisyboy, Audionut, SDX, RenatoPhoto and Squig are now forum-wide mods. You guys have no particular forum assigned, so try to do your best to keep this place clean :)

In addition to this:

- blade and Lucas_W now have moderation rights in the "New Ports" forum
- N/A will help moderate the "Share" section, which is currently a bit under-staffed.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

squig

Quote from: nanomad on May 23, 2013, 12:20:03 AM
Welcome on board to our new moderation staff  :D

You guys have no particular forum assigned, so try to do your best to keep this place clean :)

Hehe, have you seen my house?
;D

Andy600

Congratulations on becoming the new moderators guys!  :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

RenatoPhoto

Yikes!!!  Who will moderate me??
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

squig

N/A

Cool, just let me know who needs my address so you can promptly send me my complimentary 1d x in the mail.

:)
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

RenatoPhoto

squig

"I'm watching... always watching".  8)

noisyboy

blade

Thanks, Will do my best to keep it nice and clean.
eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

squig

It's true I have superhuman powers but "moderators"? :D

Audionut

Welcome on board some new moderation staff.

ted ramasola is a section moderator for the "Third Party Modifications" section.
pravodmil is a section moderator for his own section.

Welcome aboard guys.

a1ex

Looks like the moderators could use some extra help.

All posts from new users are moderated (say hello to spammers), and lately, some of them get approved after several days or even a few weeks. When these posts eventually do get approved, they are no longer in the recent posts lists, so they sometimes become hard to notice.

I prefer not to handle this task myself, so I'm looking for one (or more) volunteers to help. Please see the first post for more details.

Thanks.

whyfy

GMT, Free almost everyday, :) I wouldn't mind moderating the new users; I hate spammers !   8)

a1ex

Alright, chris_overseas is now forum-wide moderator.

Additionally, whyfy will take care of General Help Q&A, and Andy600 will take care of Postprocessing Workflow.

Welcome aboard!

budafilms

Hi everybody.

I don't  know if here is the right place to post this.

I noticed a lot of popular threads/ topics/post need, really need, an update in the first post. Lot of users are missing information, too much time reading, getting tired to pay attentions and discover new things, giving you more work to do!

Do you have a way to notify/to post/clarify/a legend to the topic creators with more than xx pages stay up to date in the first post with the latest findings, results, tools, whatever the post, thread are talking about?

Thank you!

Audionut

If the OP is still around, you can ping them to update stuff.

Else, compile the information, ping me and I can update posts as needed.  I don't have time to update things myself, but copy and paste is quick and easy.

Edit:  If you're keen to take control of information and keeping it up to date, pm me and have a chat.

a1ex

Quote from: a1ex on September 14, 2016, 10:00:20 PM
Looks like the moderators could use some extra help.

All posts from new users are moderated (say hello to spammers), and lately, some of them get approved after several days or even a few weeks. When these posts eventually do get approved, they are no longer in the recent posts lists, so they sometimes become hard to notice.

I prefer not to handle this task myself, so I'm looking for one (or more) volunteers to help. Please see the first post for more details.

Thanks.

As the turnaround time for approving new posts is approaching 2 (two) months, it's probably a sign the current moderators may need some more help. Any new volunteers?

Caveat: you will need some patience to investigate where each message comes from. You can no longer tell whether a message is valid, or not, just by looking at it - spammers became a lot smarter than you might think ;)

yourboylloyd

Hello,

I would like to apply.

I currently work from home as a freelance post production out of Los Angeles UTC -8:00 so I'm on my PC and have all the free time in the world. I love the "Share your videos" section and can be super active in that. I would love to become more active and I think I'd be most useful on the "shoot preparation", and "post processing workflow" areas.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

names_are_hard

I could give an hour or so spread over each week to block / approve new posters.  I used to write email spam blocking rules as part of my job (so I already know how boring and depressing it is!).  If that's enough time to be useful, let me know.

ilia3101

Quote from: a1ex on December 23, 2019, 02:58:39 PM
As the turnaround time for approving new posts is approaching 2 (two) months, it's probably a sign the current moderators may need some more help. Any new volunteers?

Two months! Sure I could help out.

How does one investigate a message?

a1ex

Difficult choice :)

@names_are_hard: I can give you moderator superpowers if you want, but I think your time is much more valuable in other areas of the project. Or, if you don't mind hacking the SMF forum software, you may consider automating a few things. For example, I've been thinking about some kind of mod that would search for "similar" messages - maybe it could reduce the number of duplicate questions. Other ideas welcome, probably best discussed over here.

For now, gut feeling tells me to pick Ilia as site-wide moderator, and yourboylloyd for the above-mentioned sub-forums. I might change my mind later ;)

Welcome aboard!

names_are_hard

PHP? Yuck, you can keep it :P

I don't think I'd be good at moderating the forums, hence just volunteering for working on the approval queue.  Don't mind not being picked :)  I got an M2 recently, so now I have one cam that runs ML and one that doesn't.  I'm making Unified work on both to help debug, so I have plenty to keep me busy.

Danne