GoPro CineForm Studio Premium/Pro Settings for 5D3 RAW Video

Started by Jake Segraves, May 17, 2013, 11:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DANewman

I'm in an airport with very poor bandwidth, so I'll try and download later.  Studio via DNG with apply color matrix, except the RAW to DNG tools aren't transfering the color matrix metadata (it is in the .RAW)  As for the black balance, that shouldn't be adding bad pixels, but fixing many of them.

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on July 01, 2013, 09:02:31 PM
I'm in an airport with very poor bandwidth, so I'll try and download later.  Studio via DNG with apply color matrix, except the RAW to DNG tools aren't transfering the color matrix metadata (it is in the .RAW)  As for the black balance, that shouldn't be adding bad pixels, but fixing many of them.

Okay, so the raw -> dng apps haven't fixed matrix transfer yet. And the black balance isn't adding hot pixels, it's just not removing them. Sorry if I didn't word that correctly in the last post.

DANewman

Are the hot pixels on the black balance clip?  Did the hot pixels occur after you recording the black balance?  Wondering if it is a software failure or a calibration failure.

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on July 01, 2013, 09:14:56 PM
Are the hot pixels on the black balance clip?  Did the hot pixels occur after you recording the black balance?  Wondering if it is a software failure or a calibration failure.

Yes, there are hot pixels in the black balance clip. I replicated the results with another clip just to make sure. raw2gpcf tells me the average of the black balance frames and does its thing. It removed the FPN, but left the hot pixels.

DANewman

Quote from: MichalT on June 30, 2013, 11:59:54 PM
David,

Here's a link to my Google Drive shared folder, with one of them files. Converted with v1.13,no big preview in Premium and unable to import into Premiere CC.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0By_KH2cOvbf_Y3RwUXJqZmNUNFk&usp=sharing

Thank for you help

The file is working here in Studio Premium, I expected it would as I white screen indicates an OpenGL driver issue (updates can help.)

I don't have CC, but you may need to install CineForm importers manually as our installer as only good for CS6 and earlier. 

http://support.cineform.com/entries/24341786-A-Do-It-Yourself-Guide-to-adding-CineForm-support-in-Adobe-CC-Mac-

DANewman

Quote from: iaremrsir on July 01, 2013, 10:49:41 PM
Yes, there are hot pixels in the black balance clip. I replicated the results with another clip just to make sure. raw2gpcf tells me the average of the black balance frames and does its thing. It removed the FPN, but left the hot pixels.

I see dead pixels. Hot pixel charge up, and are visible on black, dead pixel never charge up and a visible on white.  Maybe we need to add a white flat fielding pass, or at least a dead pixel mask.

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on July 01, 2013, 11:17:50 PM
I see dead pixels. Hot pixel charge up, and are visible on black, dead pixel never charge up and a visible on white.  Maybe we need to add a white flat fielding pass, or at least a dead pixel mask.

What does flat field correction entail? Would we need to shoot something similar to how we shoot the dark frame, just with the sensor fully saturated? What does Studio use?

mclein

Hi Guys,
inside RAWANIZER i have set this parameter with the new Bc setting
"{OutputVideoName}.mov"  -422 -l400 -bcX:\RAW\ISO 800.RAW

could it works for you?

actually it seems to convert.. even if with the actual file i am testing i cannot appreciate a shadow noise remove.
besides at the end of conversion i obtain the cineform file but the prompt shows this error
"Failed to Encode, do you have gopro cineform studio installed?"
actually i have ! so i wonder why this error appear at the end of the enconding process.

DANewman

Quote from: iaremrsir on July 02, 2013, 12:43:23 AM
What does flat field correction entail? Would we need to shoot something similar to how we shoot the dark frame, just with the sensor fully saturated? What does Studio use?

I don't know, try capturing a bright light source with the lens off the camera.  The resulting image should be a mask of all the dead pixels.  Care to try and send me, only need a dozen frames.

DANewman

Quote from: mclein on July 04, 2013, 12:29:02 AM
Hi Guys,
inside RAWANIZER i have set this parameter with the new Bc setting
"{OutputVideoName}.mov"  -422 -l400 -bcX:\RAW\ISO 800.RAW

could it works for you?

actually it seems to convert.. even if with the actual file i am testing i cannot appreciate a shadow noise remove.
besides at the end of conversion i obtain the cineform file but the prompt shows this error
"Failed to Encode, do you have gopro cineform studio installed?"
actually i have ! so i wonder why this error appear at the end of the enconding process.

Anyone else experience this error? 

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on July 04, 2013, 05:29:13 AM
I don't know, try capturing a bright light source with the lens off the camera.  The resulting image should be a mask of all the dead pixels.  Care to try and send me, only need a dozen frames.

At first glance it looks fully saturating the sensor revels the deal pixels. We just have to make sure that the entire capture area is covered and even. I'll upload when I get to my computer.

iaremrsir

Also, for FFC do we need multiple exposures? I'd assume not, unless the dead pixels vary across exposure times.

EDIT: On second thought, shutter may not need to be changed, but ISO might. Will the change in sensor sensitivity cause other pixels to "die" as well? Or will all of the dead pixels revealed at the lowest ISO be the same across the board?

iaremrsir

Found a bug that repeatedly causes the "do you have studio installed" message to show up. The program has a problem when you try to have it convert to a non-existent folder. It won't automatically create the folder. If you make the folder beforehand, the error goes away. Also, there's another bug. Not sure if it's a Windows problem, but it only occurs with CF programs when converting files. It seems to search for drives that don't exist on my computer causing the "No Disk" error every time it converts a new file.

iaremrsir

Upon further inspection of the clips, the dead pixels don't change across resolution. So if we were to record the highest resolution possible at the different ISOs, we could use those clips for any resolution below it.

iaremrsir

DANewman

Sorry I've been away.  I look into the last few posts when I return in a few days.

CLS105

Im using the latest version of raw2gpcf (1.13) and I bought a cineform premium lic.
I am getting pink highlights, any raw2gpcf options to avoid this? thank you in advance

DANewman

In workspace use the sat. Clip point control to remove the pink highlights.

iaremrsir

Any updates on flat field correction and the debayer algorithms?

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on May 29, 2013, 06:08:32 AM
I expect you are have issues with Cineon as an encoding curve, it is not the optimal choice as it is not very efficient for using the available codewords.  Hightlight are not blown out, some are just above 1.0, in RAW they can be restored.  Open Studio and try reducting the gain or exposure, all the highlights are still there.  You can encode Protune, and decode to Cineon if you like, that is better than encoding Cineon.

-l90 -- SI-2K curve
-l400 -- Protune 12 stop optimized
-l900 -- Protune 13 stop optimized

While the default Protune log curve and -l400 curve both store 13+ stops, it is just a matter of emphasis, and how much do you need to dig into the shadows at the mild expense of midtones and highlights.

I've noticed a bug, when I try to convert files as -l400 for 12 stops in raw2gpcf, they show up as Custom Log 255 for encode and decode. I'm guessing Custom Log is an extension of the Protune curve. Also, I noticed some functionality things when working with CF Raw Protune in AE. When in 32 bpc I can see that there are values above 1.0. I can recover these slightly with the tools in AE. But, it doesn't recover all of the highlights like the Cineon 95-685 curve does. I like how Protune looks and is easy to grade and work with. I'd just like to figure out how to keep the files completely Protune and fully recover highlights. Changing the Sat Clip Point slider from .5 makes the highlights pink or green.

Edit: When working in 32bpc, AE can read all of the raw data as if it has only been debayered but still does not have a curve applied. So we have access to the entire dynamic range with Protune even if there seems to be some clipping in Studio Premium. If the highlights are recoverable in ACR, they're recoverable with CF Raw in AE at 32bpc. I had it wrong before as I was trying to use the HDR Highlight Compression plugin; I should've used the Exposure plugin. This will keep detail in the Highlights without making the mids all plasticky. Still haven't figured out how the Sat Clip Point slider works I guess, because I can't get it to recover highlights.

DANewman

The -l400 will be support with GoPro Studio 2.0 software out soon -- I guess that wasn't supported within v1.3.2.

Could you send me a short CineForm clip that you can't correct with the saturation clip point. I've never seen that.

fatpig

@DANewman:
BUG: when the specified output directory does not exist, it says "check if cineform studio is correctly installed".

Maybe you could change it to something more conclusive like "output directory does not exist" :)

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on July 17, 2013, 04:42:54 AM
The -l400 will be support with GoPro Studio 2.0 software out soon -- I guess that wasn't supported within v1.3.2.

-l400 works when converting DNGs directly inside of Studio, but setting -l400 in raw2gpcf doesn't work for me. It always comes out as Custom Log 255.

iaremrsir

Quote from: DANewman on July 17, 2013, 04:42:54 AM
Could you send me a short CineForm clip that you can't correct with the saturation clip point. I've never seen that.

Guess I should specify that it's only with clips that come from raw2gpcf. When I go raw -> DNG -> CFR, I get no problems with magenta or green highlights when using Sat Clip Point. But it also seems like Sat Clip Point has no effect on the CFR files that came from DNGs because it seems like all of the highlight data is there even when Sat Clip Point is at 0. I can recover highlights in AE just fine on both. Also I've noticed that recovered highlights from raw2gpcf clips go toward yellow instead of white.

Here are some clips that show the problem. All are at default import settings. Also note the ones that come from DNGs are clean. These also show the Custom Log 255 problem.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bytymz6r53EjN2lnTkdIQXNxVzQ&usp=sharing