Uncompressed 14-bit RAW video testing - 5D Mark III

Started by bumkicho, May 17, 2013, 04:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibrahim

Quote5D3 with a decent SD card to run ML off and a KB 128GB CF card for recording onto works flawlessly when it comes to shooting 24p @ 1080p continuously until the card fills up (be sure to set CF into exFAT) otherwise.

I am using the same setup but I haven't been able to make my CF card (sandisk 64GB & 128GB 160MB/s extreme pro) to exfat even though I use the EOS card appplication.
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

Walter Schulz

EOScard: Tool for making a card bootable and for applying ML files and directory structure.
Your CF-card in a splitt card configuration does *not* run ML and therefore does not have to be bootable.
Use your OS (Windows or OS X) if you want to apply ExFAT file system to your CF-card.

ibrahim

I run my ML from my SD card but recording into my CF-card using spanning.
How do I apply exfat on my CF-card in win7?
Canon 5D Mark IIIs | Ronin-M | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 planar | Zeiss 35mm 1.4 distagon  | Zeiss 24mm f2 distagon | Zeiss 85mm f1.4 planar
Dual sound system: Tascam DR-60d MKII | Audio Technica AT899 | Sennheiser MKE 600

ibrahim

I tried turning my CF-card once to exfat by formating on a PC but then my 5d3 didn't recoignize it any longer. If I remember correctly it stated something like "card not properly inserted". I had to send the card back to sandisk and get a new one, therefore I haven't tried again since then due to the lack of info on turn my 64GB and 128GB cards to exfat on PC.

Walter Schulz

Nerodanger

Guys - I've got a problem here - would really appreciate your help-
I've shot a short film on 5Diii build 113 in MLV and having trouble with one of the cards- can't finish it without the footage

Recorded MLV on a Komputer Bay CF card 128gb (formatted to exFAT and previously used without problem)
Lexar USB3 CF card reader into Windows 10 (I have a MAC too if needed to try something different, but neither see the card properly).

No improper shutdowns or lock-ups/ frame skips to raise concern.
Footage plays from camera - but when I put the card in the PC it says "Unrecognised - please format" (Obviously I haven't formatted)

I tried filming a few seconds in MLV to see if it would write and it does -plays OK on the camera
Tried USB connection to Canon Utility, but doesn't see the MLV files. (was wondering if file manager could help?)

Any ideas please?

DeafEyeJedi

5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Nerodanger

Thank you so much DeafEyeJedi!

It worked initially - managed to pull three files out 15 (but much better than nothing)
It stopped transferring and now nothing seems to work (back to "please format card cannot be read etc") - neither in the camera nor following the "OSX Initialize and First Aid method"

Tried wondershare software (paid software) - can not read the card.

Not sure if I should format it (in the camera or computer- which would preserve most data?) and try the data recovery software again-
If you have any idea suggestions they would be a blessing-

thank you once again.

DeafEyeJedi

Even tried again in paranoid mode within PhotoRec?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Nerodanger

It can't see the card. Doesn't recognise anything being there to scan anymore. I'm going to try a different card reader, but as the camera can't see the card either now my options are narrowing towards formatting.

Thanks again.

Walter Schulz

There are some advanced mounting options available in OS X and Linux. Have you tried them yet?

Nerodanger

Thank you Walter. I wasn't aware of there are advanced mounting options. I'll try this option after I've googled how to do it. Much appreciated.

Nerodanger

Thanks again for all your help - KomputerBay card is fried. Won't mount or even format. But at least I saved some footage. I understand that Using the Lexar Workflow compact flash reader on different computers has been known to cause issues with the KB cards (can't see a firmware upgrade for the Lexar Workflow  yet). So good practice to format and import on the same computer where possible and use an exFat hard drive to work on files between computers if you have a  MAC & PC set-up. 

anDyIII

QuoteI also submitted a pull request with the pink frames fix for 1.2.3 last night, and now I'm still testing the fix from a personally compiled build for 1.2.3.

A month ago I fixed and compiled the mlv_rec module for 1.2.3 fw. Here is the the fixed module that has been tested by me and other users from the Magic Lantern Italia facebook user group.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6pn6ddj6s01b9wk/mlv_rec+5D3-123+pink+frames+fix+applied+by+Casanova.zip

It works like a charm.

The pull request I opened on bitbucket is still there and needs approval by main devs.
5D Mark III
www.facebook.com/groups/magiclanternitalia/
www.andreacasanova.eu

beauchampy

Quote from: anDyIII on August 18, 2016, 01:50:40 AM
A month ago I fixed and compiled the mlv_rec module for 1.2.3 fw. Here is the the fixed module that has been tested by me and other users from the Magic Lantern Italia facebook user group.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/6pn6ddj6s01b9wk/mlv_rec+5D3-123+pink+frames+fix+applied+by+Casanova.zip

It works like a charm.

The pull request I opened on bitbucket is still there and needs approval by main devs.

I've been using this for a couple weeks (me and anDyIII know each other outside this forum) and can also confirm it works 100% on the latest 123 with no pink frames.  8)

Simonwb

Quote from: beauchampy on August 18, 2016, 11:21:50 AM
I've been using this for a couple weeks (me and anDyIII know each other outside this forum) and can also confirm it works 100% on the latest 123 with no pink frames.  8)

@beauchampy please advise how I use this new module - I'm using 1.2.3 Nightly Build 7 Aug 14 -
- Do I just put this new module file over the old one on my ML card in the camera and restart?
- Or is it more involved than that?  e.g. do I replace the module file, then do a complete ML uninstall then reinstall?

Thanks
5D3.123 | 5D4 | C100ii | 16-35 f4 | 24-105 f4ii | 70-200 f2.8ii | 50 f1.2 | 100 f2.8 | Samyang 16, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135

Lars Steenhoff

normally replacing the module on the card should be enough, in this case im not sure if the build from august 2014 would be the best, perhaps the build from 2015 would be a better base.

beauchampy

Quote from: Simonwb on August 19, 2016, 11:08:13 AM
@beauchampy please advise how I use this new module - I'm using 1.2.3 Nightly Build 7 Aug 14 -
- Do I just put this new module file over the old one on my ML card in the camera and restart?
- Or is it more involved than that?  e.g. do I replace the module file, then do a complete ML uninstall then reinstall?

Thanks

The first one.

anDyIII

Quote from: Lars Steenhoff on August 19, 2016, 01:00:22 PM
normally replacing the module on the card should be enough, in this case im not sure if the build from august 2014 would be the best, perhaps the build from 2015 would be a better base.

Sorry, I forgot to say how to use it. Just use the latest build from 2015 and replace the mlv_rec module with the one I compiled. No need to reinstall ML.
5D Mark III
www.facebook.com/groups/magiclanternitalia/
www.andreacasanova.eu

Simonwb

5D3.123 | 5D4 | C100ii | 16-35 f4 | 24-105 f4ii | 70-200 f2.8ii | 50 f1.2 | 100 f2.8 | Samyang 16, 24, 35, 50, 85, 135

Miklas

1) My only tip for KB cards is to full format them once in a while on a windows pc. I'm a mac user and tried using disk utility to no avail. Full exfat format and then you can format your 128gb and specially the 256GB cards in camera that no error will appear and will also format the full size of card. Takes roughly 4 to 5 hours a 256GB card format on a win7  laptop.

There may be an app that formats cards in lots of ways on El Capitan but I have plenty windows laptops around so...

2) I have a problem with Magic Lantern not showing the remaining size in my cards. I'll usually be blind as it will display the size but not the remaining GB. It's dramatic and I fixed it by throwing money at the problem and having extra cards. any help here?

3) Another issue I've encountered. When using MLRAWVIEWER, it crashes on El Capitan (imac i7) but, it produces a certain size set of DNG's and wav file. When using the Fuse MLVFS the size of the DNG's is double. Side by side in PS CC they look identical. What wizardry is that?

Thanks!

Erkett

I have some problems with the vertical banding...
How to fix that?
I have tried to smooth them out with MLV Producer but they coming back when I grade...

sasha

hello all, i'm new i just bought a used 5d mark iii, what is the best firmware for raw recording 1.1.3 or 1.2.3?
thanks!!

budafilms

@sasha

1.1.3 it's a little more stable for raw.

Make sure you are running Canon firmware 1.1.3. If you are running 1.3.3, you can downgrade with EOS Utility.