RAW Video Post processing (raw2dng) [Mac/Win/Linux]

Started by g3gg0, May 14, 2013, 11:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northshoots

I got back today from a forest trip where I filmed more than 85 raw sequences. So converting them manually become not an option. I wrote a script for mass conversion of the files. Feel free to give suggestions for improvement or hack your self http://shieldroute.blogspot.se/2013/07/quick-and-dirty-multiply-raw-file.html

My workflow was:
move full card to -> date\1\
                           -> date\2\
                           -> date\3\
etc
so the scripts checks only subfolders for a given folder. Then it enters there creates new folder with a name same as file name and converts it using raw2dng.
Resulting structure
date\1\ML_001.RAW
date\1\ML_001\000000.dng
date\1\ML_001\000001.dng
date\1\ML_001\00xxxxx.dng
date\1\ML_002.RAW
date\1\ML_002\000000.dng
date\1\ML_002\000001.dng
date\1\ML_002\00xxxxx.dng

hope someone will find it useful and will be less frustrated coming home with may sequences. There is no fall back safely implemented, but I will added if some one needs it.

Cheers

egc

Quote from: a1ex on May 14, 2013, 11:48:36 AM
Linux shell script for conversion to mjpeg: raw2avi.sh

Hallo!

First of all: THANKS a lot for this script!!

As raw2dng does not exist for Linux (at least i could not find it) i think it is better to tell people they can install wine and change the script in line 8 from
${DIR}/raw2dng $1
to
wine ${DIR}/raw2dng $1

That works fine and people don't have to waist days trying to compile raw2dng or changing to Windows just to do the raw2dng step.

Thanks!

Best regards
egc

yanone

One question about DNGs that I haven't seen discussed anywhere in the forum so far:

Processing them with ACR in AE produces inconsistent results when the white and black points (=lighting) change between frames. The brightness/darkness recovery sliders (the most important in my opinion) seem to respond to a relative black and white point per image.

Do you see a way to synchronize the black and white points (whatever that even means, I'm no expert) across images? Maybe by measuring the lightest and darkest pixel across all images of a scene and then changing certain settings in the files accordingly? Maybe even by drawing a black and a white pixel into the files as a punky hack?

I'm not asking the software authors here to implement this, only about implementability. I might like to try myself.
Or is there a much easier way I'm not aware of? I'm asking about ACR because the grading in Resolve doesn't work for me. Plus ACR has many abilities that I'm familiar with from photography like abberation reduction and stuff.

coopybook

Quote from: johanhenrikssn on June 08, 2013, 09:34:15 AM
I want to start by giving a huge thanks to everyone involved with Magic Lantern and this forum. It's impressing to see the tool progress.

I shot some footage that looks like it's sped up after post-processing it. It gives the impression that it was recorded in another, lower frame rate than 25, when looking at it after it's been post-processed. I did not have FPS override to ON in magic lantern, could this have affected it?

I used the june 3rd-version with 5D MKIII. Camera settings i Canons menu set to PAL and video set to 1080p 25fps ALL-I.

In post when converting to dng's with raw2dng.app, it says that it was shot with 25 fps. That's problably just camera metadata though? I tried the workflow with both After Effects and using Quicktime 7 via Photoshop. When importing the image sequence inside After Effects it came in as 30 fps. I interpreted the image sequence from 30 to 25 and created a comp from that. That's when I get that sped up look. Anyone else experienced this problem?

Quote from: tob on June 13, 2013, 12:57:02 AM

I have exactly the same setup/camera as you have and the same problem, but new version of ML 10 June. I have exactly the same issue. I used the raw2dng.exe - 10 june.

I have the same problem on Canon 60D. Does anyone found solution?
I have tried all possible varieties, changes frame rates, NTSC,PAL, resolution, - results always the same.
Becouse of this problem i can't get together video and external recorded sound. That is realy bad!
If anyone have any ideas how to fix it, please share!!!
Thank You!

budafilms

Exist a way to get, from RAW2DNG or MAGIC Raw,  a way to join raw with .WAV?

Anybody knows a way to do this faster?

coopybook

Quote from: coopybook on August 04, 2013, 03:13:13 AM
I have the same problem on Canon 60D. Does anyone found solution?
I have tried all possible varieties, changes frame rates, NTSC,PAL, resolution, - results always the same.
Becouse of this problem i can't get together video and external recorded sound. That is realy bad!
If anyone have any ideas how to fix it, please share!!!
Thank You!

Quote from: payne on August 07, 2013, 07:39:44 PM
Regarding the 24 fps problem:

Hi guys I had the same problem with my 60D raw videos but I found the fix:

First: make sure you do have framerate override on and set to 23.98 or 24fps just to eliminate any in-camera issues.

Second: It took me a while to realize that the problem was with a default setting in after effects. Unless you tell it not to, AE will interpret all imported files as 30fps (which causes the speed up to 24fps material). To fix, right click on your footage in the project bin and choose: Interpret footage > main. Then input the correct framerate depending on what you sent your override at. VOILA

Here is a visual example that I found:
the setting:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/JehOz.png

the dialog window:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/z7Yy0.png

Fringuello

Italy - canon 7D

manniac

extracting dngs from the raw (5DIII) is quite slow on my machine (win7 64bit). for some reason the first 100 pictures or so are quite fast and everything after is slow. at the same time my 6 core cpu doesnt seem to be overly occupied..
Does anyone have tipps how to improve performance on raw2dng.exe?

Fringuello

scusate perchè su imac non funziona  :-[
Italy - canon 7D

ilguercio

Again, this is an English board.
Everybody needs to understand you.
Capisci?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Fringuello

ok, I have a mac dragging the raw file on raw2dng nothing happens.
thanks
Italy - canon 7D

David J. Fulde

pavelpp

I keep getting a segmentation fault, when trying to convert a raw video with raw2dng executable on OS X 10.7.5.

Resolution  : 1728 x 736
Frames      : 54
Frame size  : 2228224 bytes
Frame skip  : 1
FPS         : 19.998
Processing frame 1 of 54...Segmentation fault: 11

alexp

Hey guys, I have a workflow question. After editing reference files in FCP7, how do you replace them with image sequences? Is that even possible? Until now I've been using QT7 to export image sequences into Pro Res, which takes a lot of time doing one by one. Trying to simplify this process. Please share...

Midphase

Quote from: alexp on August 30, 2013, 02:57:55 AM
Hey guys, I have a workflow question. After editing reference files in FCP7, how do you replace them with image sequences? Is that even possible? Until now I've been using QT7 to export image sequences into Pro Res, which takes a lot of time doing one by one. Trying to simplify this process. Please share...

On the Mac, I think the workflow which still makes the most sense is to use something like Resolve to batch output to ProRes for editing. I think ProRes is fine for finishing too actually, if you export at ProRes 422HQ using a LOG type of look, you'll retain pretty much most of the visual information that you need. Most people who shoot on the ARRI Alexa shoot in ProRes and not raw and they seem to be just fine with the quality output, so once you process the image sequences into ProRes, I don't know if you need to go back to the DNG format for finishing.

But yeah, use Resolve for batch creating the ProRes files...it's a whole lot faster.

alexp

Quote from: Midphase on August 31, 2013, 08:39:14 PM
On the Mac, I think the workflow which still makes the most sense is to use something like Resolve to batch output to ProRes for editing. I think ProRes is fine for finishing too actually, if you export at ProRes 422HQ using a LOG type of look, you'll retain pretty much most of the visual information that you need. Most people who shoot on the ARRI Alexa shoot in ProRes and not raw and they seem to be just fine with the quality output, so once you process the image sequences into ProRes, I don't know if you need to go back to the DNG format for finishing.

But yeah, use Resolve for batch creating the ProRes files...it's a whole lot faster.

Thanks Midphase. Will the free version of DaVinci Resolve Lite batch output files to Pro Res?

dickson

Quote from: frspp on June 16, 2013, 08:13:53 PM
Could the opening post include also commandline howto (taken from http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5533.msg37819#msg37819 ):

Joining files
WIN
    Start dialog: cmd
    1. cd C:\Users\my_destination_folder
    2. copy /B xyz.RAW+xyz.R00+xyz.R01 xyz.RAW

OSX/LINUX
    Start Terminal
    1. cd /Volumes/my_destination_folder
    2. cat xyz.RAW xyz.R00 xyz.R01 > xyz.RAW

Tips: cmd and Terminal support drag & drop => Don't need to type!

I do this (in Windows) on one raw and one r00 file, hence copy /B xyz.RAW+xyz.R00 xyz.RAW - that's right, isn't it? And I get one RAW file, a lot smaller than the originals, and it won't open in raw2dng. Any ideas?

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: dickson on September 02, 2013, 03:36:51 AM
I do this (in Windows) on one raw and one r00 file, hence copy /B xyz.RAW+xyz.R00 xyz.RAW - that's right, isn't it? And I get one RAW file, a lot smaller than the originals, and it won't open in raw2dng. Any ideas?

Read:
RAW Video: PostProcessing -- Beginners Guide --
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0

Your format is wrong
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

dickson

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 02, 2013, 02:50:14 PM
Read:
RAW Video: PostProcessing -- Beginners Guide --
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0

Your format is wrong

Thanks! I changed the formatting to exfat, but the 5d mkii doesn't seem to recognize it.

I'll change back and try the file-renaming.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: dickson on September 02, 2013, 10:30:36 PM
Thanks! I changed the formatting to exfat, but the 5d mkii doesn't seem to recognize it.

I'll change back and try the file-renaming.

No, I was not clear.  Your file naming format is wrong!

Try this:

copy/b file1.raw+file2.raw+.... filenew.raw

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

dickson

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 02, 2013, 10:50:52 PM
No, I was not clear.  Your file naming format is wrong!

Try this:

copy/b file1.raw+file2.raw+.... filenew.raw

I changed the file names as you suggested, but I'm getting the same thing - a new file much smaller than the originals, and that won't open. (The original r00 will open, but the dngs are completely garbled.)

Update: figured it out with FSJ, thanks for your help!

ifleeter

Not sure where to post this. I have converted my raw files with the raw2dng converter and the first frame is great but then all the rest have this Pink banding.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: ifleeter on September 10, 2013, 09:02:54 PM
Not sure where to post this. I have converted my raw files with the raw2dng converter and the first frame is great but then all the rest have this Pink banding.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html