RAW Video Post processing (raw2dng) [Mac/Win/Linux]

Started by g3gg0, May 14, 2013, 11:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainHook

Hi,

I noticed a path with spaces in the raw2dng mac app fails.. i solved this by modifying your script in the package to be like this:

----
#!/bin/sh
time=$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M")
if [[ $1 ]]; then
   fldr="$(dirname "$1")"/
   ./raw2dng "$1"
   if [[ $(ls *.dng) ]]; then
      echo "Moving .dng to $fldr$time"
      mkdir "$fldr$time"
      mv *.dng "$fldr$time"
   else
      echo "Nothing converted"
   fi
else
   echo "DRAG SOMETHING IN THE APP"
fi
exit 0

----
Works okay now for me.

Thanks again everyone at ML for all the hard work. :)

Danne

Quote from: CaptainHook on May 19, 2013, 07:51:18 AM
Hi,

I noticed a path with spaces in the raw2dng mac app fails.. i solved this by modifying your script in the package to be like this:

----
#!/bin/sh
if [[ $1 ]]; then
   fldr="$(dirname "$1")"/
   ./raw2dng "$1"
      mkdir "$fldr$time"
      mv *.dng "$fldr$time"
   else
      echo "Nothing converted"
   fi
else
fi
exit 0

----
Works okay now for me.

Where did you put that new information? I,m a noob on this one. Maybe you could put the new one up for download?
Thanks.
//D

squig

I did some timed post workflow tests on my 2.5Ghz quad core Macbook Pro 16Gb 480Gb SSD 1Gb Radeon 6770M. A 1Gb raw file (17seconds @ 1920x720) takes 10 sec to convert to DNG and 2:22 to transcode to ProRes 4444 in After Effects. A 17 sec H.264 file takes 30 sec to transcode to Prores 4444 in compressor. That's 5x longer for raw but I imagine it would be significantly faster with a CUDA GPU and slower with a spinning disk drive. Adding a film convert grade to the ProRes transcode took an extra 10 sec. Transcoding to ProRes proxy was 10 sec faster than 4444.

CaptainHook

Quote from: Danne on May 19, 2013, 09:45:47 AM
Where did you put that new information? I,m a noob on this one. Maybe you could put the new one up for download?
Thanks.
//D

-> Right click on the app and choose "show package contents"
-> Go into Contents, then Resources
-> Open the file named "Script" in a text editor and replace with what i posted above - save and reopen the app.

I would rather not post a new download and confuse matters - i'm sure scrax or someone else from ML will update the app if they choose to. :)

CaptainHook

Quote from: electronicwomble on May 14, 2013, 12:34:42 PMAny ideas about where to look for converting DNGs to CinemaDNGs ready for Resolve?

The DNG's will open in Resolve and play as a single clip but they're not interpreted correctly. Running them through Adobe's DNG convertor helps (the aspect ratio is at least displayed correctly after doing this) but resolve still doesn't know how to adjust wb/tint/etc for the files.

Checking the DNG's from raw2dng with dng_validate shows the following problems:

*** Warning: IFD 0 Model is not NULL terminated ***
*** Warning: IFD 0 UniqueCameraModel is not NULL terminated ***
*** Warning: The ExposureTime is <= 0 ***
*** Warning: Too little padding on left edge of CFA image (possible interpolation artifacts) ***
*** Warning: Too little padding on top edge of CFA image (possible interpolation artifacts) ***
*** Warning: Too little padding on right edge of CFA image (possible interpolation artifacts) ***
*** Warning: Too little padding on bottom edge of CFA image (possible interpolation artifacts) ***

My hunch is once those are corrected in chdk-dng.c, resolve will correctly read the DNG's since they should be to be spec. Running dng_validate on BMCC dng's produces no warnings and checking them with the verbose flag shows lots of XMP data that gives WB/tint/etc info that i'm sure will eventually come from ML for raw2dng. :)

a1ex

scrax

Quote from: CaptainHook on May 19, 2013, 07:51:18 AM
Hi,

----
#!/bin/sh
if [[ $1 ]]; then
   fldr="$(dirname "$1")"/
   ./raw2dng "$1"
      mkdir "$fldr$time"
      mv *.dng "$fldr$time"
   else
      echo "Nothing converted"
   fi
else
fi
exit 0

----
Works okay now for me.

thank's captain Hook, will try it and update the linked zip.

EDIT: here the fixed new version: raw2dng.app beta 0.2
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

ZUPPORT

Canon 5d3
ML 14Bit uncompressed RAW video File (1.2GB)
raw2dng 2.app

and it does not work !

--------------------------------------------------

raw2dng converter GUI for OsX
Beta ver.0.2
Error: API version mismatch: 15052800

ls: *.dng: No such file or directory
Nothing converted

any ideas ??

scrax

Quote from: ZUPPORT on May 19, 2013, 01:52:46 PM
Canon 5d3
raw2dng 2.app

and it does not work !

Beta ver.0.2

Nothing converted

any ideas ??

delete any older version and redownload it, seems you have unzipped it in the same place of older version?
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

ZUPPORT

i deleted all older versions & i reboot the mac...

same:

Beta ver.0.2

Nothing converted

Danne

Quote from: ZUPPORT on May 19, 2013, 01:52:46 PM
Canon 5d3
raw2dng 2.app

and it does not work !

Beta ver.0.2

Nothing converted

any ideas ??

Whenever I move the app it can,t find the directory. Also try Captainhooks changes in the script.

-> Right click on the app and choose "show package contents"
-> Go into Contents, then Resources
-> Open the file named "Script" in a text editor and replace with what i posted above - save and reopen the app.

Script:

#!/bin/sh
if [[ $1 ]]; then
   fldr="$(dirname "$1")"/
   ./raw2dng "$1"
      mkdir "$fldr$time"
      mv *.dng "$fldr$time"
   else
      echo "Nothing converted"
   fi
else
fi
exit 0

squig

scrax

For me too, I've tried to mode it in different folder, HD and it always worked even if the raw was in a folder with spaces.

Danne

Quote from: scrax on May 19, 2013, 02:00:13 PM
delete any older version and redownload it, seems you have unzipped it in the same place of older version?

Hi Scrax! Thanks for your app. I have a couple of questions. When I convert a raw stream it works good but when trying to convert the next one often it ends up with nothing since it doesn,t create a new folder? Do I have to rename the first converted folder before proceeding to the next raw-stream? Do you think it will be possible i a near future to be able to convert large then 2gb files with the app :)?
Thanks again
//D

Danne

squig

scroll up

I'm getting the same error message on the last file that filled the card, must be missing some data.

squig

Quote from: Danne on May 19, 2013, 02:12:20 PM
Do you think it will be possible i a near future to be able to convert large then 2gb files with the app :)?

I imagine eventually someone will develop a lossless compressed CinemaDNG batch converter, but for now we work with what we've got.

scrax

Quote from: Danne on May 19, 2013, 02:12:20 PM
Hi Scrax! Thanks for your app. I have a couple of questions. When I convert a raw stream it works good but when trying to convert the next one often it ends up with nothing since it doesn,t create a new folder? Do I have to rename the first converted folder before proceeding to the next raw-stream? Do you think it will be possible i a near future to be able to convert large then 2gb files with the app :)?
Thanks again
//D

Here a video of some different way to use it, but I had that problem you mentioned too, since the folder name is based on the date you can convert only one file for minute or it will give an error because the folder is already there, will add seconds too in the 0.3 first topic has links updated.

youtube is processing it so will be ready in a few minutes i suppose

scrax

for those who want to manually update the app this is the script I have now:

#!/bin/sh
time=$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M%S")
echo "raw2dng converter GUI for OsX"
echo "Beta ver.0.3"
if [[ $1 ]]; then
   fldr="$(dirname "$1")"/
   ./raw2dng "$1"
      mkdir "$fldr$time"
      mv *.dng "$fldr$time"
   else
      echo "Nothing converted"
   fi
else
echo "Drop a ML .RAW video file here"
fi
exit 0

it adds seconds in the folder name so we can convert more than one raw for minute without problems

CaptainHook

Quote from: ZUPPORT on May 19, 2013, 02:03:02 PMError: API version mismatch: 15052800

Have you tried another RAW file? That error is giving an odd api version - it should be "1" according to this check:

if (raw_info.api_version != 1)
FAIL("API version mismatch: %d\n", raw_info.api_version);

scrax

ZUPPORT

Danne

Quote from: scrax on May 19, 2013, 02:41:28 PM
beta 0.3 out here: https://bitbucket.org/600dplus/magic-lantern-things/downloads/raw2dng.app.0.3.zip with the second in folder name fix

That worked beautifull Scrax :)!
How about drag an drop the files all at once, would it be possible or is that asking too much right now?
Thanks a lot, both for the video and the updated script.
//D