RAW Video Post processing (raw2dng) [Mac/Win/Linux]

Started by g3gg0, May 14, 2013, 11:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

Quote from: Colemar on May 16, 2013, 04:25:45 AM
just exits immediately or throws a message?  I've noticed on Mac OSX it will not recognise filepaths that are not contiguous.  any spaces and it throws an error message with the requested filepath truncated at the space..that could also be an issue in the Windows build..Linux ok?
this is a problem with the GUI wrapper converting space wrong, win and linux works more like the command line for osx.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

cinema5D

Here's the simplest post workflow in OSX we found around here, and we think it's most easy after going through hell two days ago: https://vimeo.com/66355682

Thanks for your work here. Will try Lightroom tomorrow.

KMA_WWC

Also found a small bug for a Mac OS app. If there are files with the same naming convention in the same folder, app won't convert it. For example: I have my M0000001.RAW file and when I export a new video/raw file with the same name (it ask me if I want to keep both and I say yes), I get M0000001 2.RAW which won't convert for some reason. Not sure if anyone reported it, but though it could help in the future.
Canon 5D Mark III

budafilms

FOR MAC

- Take .DNG Files and open with ADOBE CAMERA RAW - ALL THE IMAGES (You can change exposure, color, curves, etc.)
- SAVE AS TIFF (Or JPG, less quality)
- OPEN IMAGE SEQUENCE With COMPRESSOR
- Put the preset that you want (Pro Res HQ in my case).
- Use the video editor of your preference (Final Cut X in my case)

Enjoy! :D

scrax

Quote from: KMA_WWC on May 17, 2013, 03:23:22 AM
Also found a small bug for a Mac OS app. If there are files with the same naming convention in the same folder, app won't convert it. For example: I have my M0000001.RAW file and when I export a new video/raw file with the same name (it ask me if I want to keep both and I say yes), I get M0000001 2.RAW which won't convert for some reason. Not sure if anyone reported it, but though it could help in the future.

have you read the know issue? it's the space in the path the problem.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

CrewOfOne

Great tip about Compressor, budafilms!

For those who don't have Compressor, here's an alternate method:

- Use Adobe Camera Raw (within Photoshop) to open DNG and save as TIF sequence
- Within FCP or Premiere: Settings -> General -> Still Frame Duration: 1 Frame
- Drag and drop TIF sequence folders onto sequence
- Export as preferred flavor of ProRes, then re-import

Danne

An easy to follow mac-tutorial focusing on fast conversion to AppleProRes422HQ and a bunch of other stuff like creating xmp-templates, setting upp after effects, premiere pro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSHVi7Jx9r0&feature=youtu.be

https://vimeo.com/66390822

Thanks!
//D

cinema5D

Hey guys,

We're happy we've got a working 25p mode. LINK
Only we would really like to convert larger files. The raw2dng app for Mac seems to be unable to work with the larger files. Is there any fix for that in sight? Thanks a lot for your efforts!

Danne

Quote from: cinema5D on May 17, 2013, 02:07:23 PM
Hey guys,

We're happy we've got a working 25p mode. LINK
Only we would really like to convert larger files. The raw2dng app for Mac seems to be unable to work with the larger files. Is there any fix for that in sight? Thanks a lot for your efforts!

I second that. Really need to be able to convert larger files on a mac.

a1ex

QuoteWe're happy we've got a working 25p mode.

LOL, it worked from the beginning... and you don't need FPS override for it, just use Canon menu.

The Windows converter should handle files larger than 4GB (I've tried under Wine).

Danne

Quote from: a1ex on May 17, 2013, 02:15:21 PM
LOL, it worked from the beginning... and you don't need FPS override for it, just use Canon menu.

The Windows converter should handle files larger than 4GB (I've tried under Wine).

When it comes to wine I feel like a retard. I never seem to get it to work and I have never seen anyone give any steps on howto either. It,s on my computer though so feel free to explain if you have the time Alex or anyone else :).
Thanks a lot anyway.
cheer
//D

a1ex

squig

Quote from: Danne on May 17, 2013, 02:48:29 PM
When it comes to wine I feel like a retard. I never seem to get it to work and I have never seen anyone give any steps on howto either.

it's wine that's retarded, whoever developed it was obviously pissed at the time. After testing tomorrow I'll down a good bottle of red and give it another crack, it should start to make sense then. If all else fails I'll get my 7 year old to figure it out for me.

We could approach the 5DtoRGB devs, maybe they could help. I'm happy to contact them myself but I don't speak bocce.

Habitat

Anyone know the terminal commands to activate raw2dng through there? It was working fine but now doesnt on my mac...kinda heartbreaking

Danne

Quote from: squig on May 17, 2013, 07:25:17 PM
it's wine that's retarded, whoever developed it was obviously pissed at the time. After testing tomorrow I'll down a good bottle of red and give it another crack, it should start to make sense then. If all else fails I'll get my 7 year old to figure it out for me.

We could approach the 5DtoRGB devs, maybe they could help. I'm happy to contact them myself but I don't speak bocce.

;D ;D ;D

sicetime

Is there any update on the mac gui app that can handle over 2gb files or is it just not possible to do? anyway a simple tester can help?

Thanks!

zachnfine

I took my AdobeDNG files and moved them into a replication of the CinemaDNG directory structure (following the 'MyMovieNickPatonIkonoskopDNG' example supplied on Adobe's CinemaDNG page). I then imported that folder into Davinci Resolve's media pool. The result was the same as when I imported the DNG sequence into resolve without the directory structure -- the sequence came in and had the right number of frames and duration, but Resolve thinks each 1920x1080 frame is 128x96 and renders them as a super-low-resolution low bit depth image (looks to be posterized down to about 4 colors).

Maybe there's something needing a tweak in the dng headers created by Raw2dng.exe? The dng files load just fine in Adobe Camera Raw, but DaVinci Resolve sees them as 128x96.

sicetime

Also, I am running vmware fusion and when I try to open raw2dng.exe it just crashes automatically, any idea why that's happening?

The box pops up for a split second, then disappears, it's weird.

running windows xp through vmware fusion on a older snow leopard macbook pro (please don't judge).

TIA

squig

Quote from: sicetime on May 18, 2013, 12:51:44 AM
Is there any update on the mac gui app that can handle over 2gb files or is it just not possible to do? anyway a simple tester can help?

Thanks!

There's a known 64bit issue. Anything is possible.

Ultiva

Quote from: fatpig on May 16, 2013, 01:12:08 PM
Here is a little Batch tool i wrote for Windows, maybe it is of use to some. :)

RAW2DNG BATCHelor 1.0 Beta

With permission I can include the raw2dng.exe in it.
If ImageMagick is available inside its Folder it can generate a thumbnail aswell.
Let me know what you think.

It seems ImageMagick has to be installed, and (for version 1.0) copied to the folder.

http://fatpigtures.com/software/

Big thanks to fatpig and a1ex for helping me out with my raw files 2GB+ in MACOSX
It is not that hard. Because i am no genius and figured it out- Here is a step by step.

First do as A1ex suggested and use wine. To install it follow the steps he already linked for you:

http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/#part-0

There is one addition i would like to make though. In the part where he tells you to install Xcode David tells you to download & install it via the appstore. What he doesnt tell you is that after downloading you need to

1. manually open it (it installs in programs) in order to install it
2. go to preferences --> downloads --> and click on install "command line tools"

After you have done so you can continue and follow his instructions in terminal.

Now that you have got wine, download the RAW2DNG Batchelor by fatpig(see above)

Create a folder named RAW on your desktop

Put RAW2DNG.exe and the extracted Raw2DNG_batchelor.exe in this folder.
If you like copy your RAW files into this folder

Open Terminal and type these commands (without the $)

$ cd desktop (press enter)

$ cd RAW (press enter)

$ wine raw2dng_batchelor.exe (press enter)

Now a little window should open . Hit browse - point to the folder where your raws are and finally press "make dngs"

The beautiful thing is- if you have multiple Raws in that folder - it converts all of them and puts it in seperate subfolders.

sicetime

OK so I'm an idiot, I now realize what drag raw to the executable file means. And it is now working, Thanks to Ultiva who has the wine app working above, I'll follow that later.

Is there a way, on the windows side of things in raw2dng.exe, to specify where the files (dngs) go? All my files end up in documents and settings.

1%

On windows I set open with raw2dng.exe.. files end up in the folder the raw file is in.

VinceProd

I have this message when i try to converte my raw files on my imac :
" Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file ls: *.dng: No such file or directory Nothing converted "

???

Danne

Quote from: VinceProd on May 18, 2013, 07:20:30 PM
I have this message when i try to converte my raw files on my imac :
" Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file ls: *.dng: No such file or directory Nothing converted "

???

probably too big files. Bigger than 2gb is still a problem converting

eoshq

For those using Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom for raw processing.

Photoshop (ACR) and Lightroom have the exact same raw processing engine and results, as long as they are of the same generation.

That is:
Lightroom 5 = ACR 8 (CC and CS6 with June 2013 update)
Lightroom 4 = ACR 7 (CS6)
Lightroom 3 = ACR 6 (CS5)

Different generations, with different process versions, like Lightroom 3 vs Lightroom 4, will give different results.

Starting with Lightroom 4 and ACR 7, Adobe introduced process version 2012, which has some automatic highlight reduction without user control. This is may cause inconsistent rendering from frame to frame. You can switch back to process 2010 in the camera calibration area to turn this feature off, but also loose the advances made in highlight recovery and shadow control made in process 2012.