RAW Video Post processing (raw2dng) [Mac/Win/Linux]

Started by g3gg0, May 14, 2013, 11:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squig

Quote from: sicetime on May 15, 2013, 05:06:12 PM
This is interesting to me, that this thread hasn't gotten more attention.

Everyones out shooting or typing.

AE is the only show in town until raw2dng does Cinema DNG, but I doubt it will be much faster. RAW is big, big is slow.

Danne

I,d say lightroom works pretty good aswell though some complications when recovering highlights might occur. Might not be even with every frame. Is there not a conversion tool that creates regular dng-prores?

Danne

I tried converting with photoshop camera raw which is doing a clearly better synchronised job than lightroom. Lightroom creates all kinds of inconsistencys in diferent frames. Too bad, really like the idea to batch process the workflow in lightroom.

Danne

Talking to myself here ;). I work with acr 6,7 rather old version still it works good. I then tried lightroom 3 on my mac and that version also worked rather good. Lightroom 4 is not doing a ggod job when applying different recovery actions.
//D

duncanidaho25

After using RAW2DNG I imported the files into Adobe Camera RAW
I noticed that down below the images it says  8 bit DNG.  It gave me an option of changing this to 16 bit (but not 14). 

I also noticed that it gives you an option to change the size:

1880 x 840 (1.6 MP) (the size I shot the RAW files in.  I was able to get 4 or 5 seconds before dropped frames on my 5d mark ii)
2048 x 915 (1.9 MP)
3072 x 1373 (4.2 MP)

Would this be a good (or the best) way (with minimal loss of quality) to upsize for 1080p or even larger?
It also gives you a chance to change the resolution.  What would be best 72?  300?  Sharpen for Screen I imagine is best.  Thanks for your help and expertise!
5D2 |  VAF-5d2b | Komputerbay 64GB 1000x  | 14, 24, 35, 85 Samyang Lens Set  | 50, 180 Nikon | Marshall V-LCD51 | DigiFinder | 528s LED Amaran lights

Danne

It,s 240dpi/inch, equivalent to 94dpi/cm

jwcarr

Does anyone have a suggestion as to why I am getting the error message: "This ain't a lv_rec RAW file" when trying to convert my .RAW file with raw2dng on a Mac? How can I get this working?

jwcarr

Looks like it is an issue when I shoot at 1920x1080. I just got raw2dng to work on a 1920x720 file.

Colemar

Quote from: jwcarr on May 16, 2013, 01:36:29 AM
Does anyone have a suggestion as to why I am getting the error message: "This ain't a lv_rec RAW file" when trying to convert my .RAW file with raw2dng on a Mac?

the devs are working on it.  It looks like a problem working with 64bit integers as opposed to the 32bit current build, but a developer can possibly give more info

1%

It errors for me on >4GB files in windows.. so something with 64bit fix doesn't work. I haven't tried linux to do a >4gb file yet tho.

Colemar

Quote from: 1% on May 16, 2013, 03:00:46 AM
It errors for me on >4GB files in windows..

is that a build in-development?  The latest Windows build from a1ex https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/raw2dng.exe worked fine for me all day on any filesize I threw at it..

1%

I'll try it, could be my compiler.

Nope.. over 4gb file didn't process.. the 10gb didn't either. Its also much larger for some reason.

Colemar

Quote from: 1% on May 16, 2013, 04:03:02 AM
Nope.. over 4gb file didn't process.. the 10gb didn't either.

just exits immediately or throws a message?  I've noticed on Mac OSX it will not recognise filepaths that are not contiguous.  any spaces and it throws an error message with the requested filepath truncated at the space..that could also be an issue in the Windows build..Linux ok?

1%

Dunno, what is the biggest file you've processed?

Colemar

Quote from: 1% on May 16, 2013, 04:44:47 AM
Dunno, what is the biggest file you've processed?

4.27GB on Windows build of raw2dng..just installed the new build but haven't tested yet.

1%

Colemar

that's interesting...essentially, what is raw2dng doing to the .raw file?  does it just parse it into individual frames, or does it also de-bayer, or something totally different?

bryanfieldhouse

I'm wondering if this device would recognise the ***.raw file on the compact flash card and back it up to the inbuilt sata hard drive?

That way you wouldn't have to spend so much on compact flash cards and could be backing up a card while shooting with another...  8)

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index.php?t=product/nextodi_nd-2730

Bryan

fatpig

Here is a little Batch tool i wrote for Windows, maybe it is of use to some. :)

RAW2DNG BATCHelor 1.0 Beta

With permission I can include the raw2dng.exe in it.
If ImageMagick is available inside its Folder it can generate a thumbnail aswell.
Let me know what you think.

It seems ImageMagick has to be installed, and (for version 1.0) copied to the folder.

http://fatpigtures.com/software/

Danne

Workflow right now accordingly:

1 - import dng to after effects (followed Neumanns tutorial) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fGIIAQXXxQ
2 - instead of editing in after effects I export the file to prores 422HQ (following tutorial how to get proresHQ in adobe after effects 5) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRXCdI7yXLA
3 - import the proresHQ to preffered software, I use adobe premiere pro cs 5

CrewOfOne

A previous comment mentioned that the  "lv_rec" error results from a missing file footer ... Is that correct? More to the point, is there anyway to fix this manually? I spent the whole morning carefully shooting lovely RAW vs. H264 comparison footage, and when raw2dng rejected the files, it was rather disappointing.

I understand all the usual caveats about Magic Lantern and testing before shooting, but if there were a way to manually fix these files, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it!

Ultiva

Hey ML-Forum- and especially the mac users.

Yes the new GUI raw2dng -App for MAC is quiet cool and working like a charm unless you try to convert files >2GB-

I know - we have read the 64 bit theory about it- but did anyone get it to work? Because unfortunately i havent(tried the GUI -App and the raw2dng terminal command)

Thanks guys!
Ultiva

andyshon

The Mac GUI seems a little fussy about file path. It likes obvious places, like desktop, movies, etc. Pop 'em deep in the directory structure and it says no such path.

Also, over half my clips wont convert, either on Mac or on Windows. I get either:

Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file
or
Error: API version mismatch: -2147483629

Seems random. All these clips are 1880x720 shot on the 5DmkII. Sometimes it's the big ones that work so doesn't seem to be about size.

Any ideas?

scrax

Quote from: Ultiva on May 17, 2013, 12:31:25 AM
Hey ML-Forum- and especially the mac users.

Yes the new GUI raw2dng -App for MAC is quiet cool and working like a charm unless you try to convert files >2GB-

I know - we have read the 64 bit theory about it- but did anyone get it to work? Because unfortunately i havent(tried the GUI -App and the raw2dng terminal command)

Thanks guys!
Ultiva

So far seems not working even with the last patches.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

Added a know issue list to this topic for the Osx GUI version
Quote from: scrax on May 14, 2013, 11:46:12 AM
raw2dgn.app
GUI version

Know issues
- Don't works with spaces in folder names for .raw source
- Can't convert file bigger than 2Gb.

raw2dng
Osx command line

Know issues
- Can't convert file bigger than 2Gb.

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-