RAW Video Post processing (raw2dng) [Mac/Win/Linux]

Started by g3gg0, May 14, 2013, 11:42:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Ah, I know. Change the converter source so it uses 64-bit integers, and should work.

Colemar

Quote from: a1ex on May 14, 2013, 04:05:48 PM
Change the converter source so it uses 64-bit integers

I bet you're right, scrax do you have time to recompile for 64bit OSX?

1%

So for 4GB converter has to be modified for 64 bit integers too? I'm having problems displaying uint64s with bmprintf... on a real os the converter printing functions should be ok?

Colemar

Quote from: 1% on May 14, 2013, 04:18:30 PM
So for 4GB converter has to be modified for 64 bit integers too?

yes but more specifically to run in the 64bit kernel I think, because I have unrecognised .raw files that are ~2.1GB also.

scrax

Quote from: Danne on May 14, 2013, 01:39:01 PM
Nice to have the files in a subfolder. Next step would be to be able to throw the on the mac-app script all at once. Is it hard to do Scrax? Now I,m extracting them one by one.
Thanks!
/D
MLTools  do that,it scan the card for file to import/convert/merge this is not yet added but will be
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

Quote from: Colemar on May 14, 2013, 04:15:36 PM
I bet you're right, scrax do you have time to recompile for 64bit OSX?
I have to try, not sure how to do, is there some special option to set?
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Danne

Quote from: scrax on May 14, 2013, 05:56:02 PM
MLTools  do that,it scan the card for file to import/convert/merge this is not yet added but will be

What a nice tool. Didn,t know about It until now. I,ll keep en eye. How about donation link? Is it up and running?

bensyverson

Right now sizeof(lv_rec_file_footer_t) is reading 200 bytes, whereas the actual footer (from a Canon 5D II) seems to be 192 bytes... What am I missing?

a1ex

The code is not ready for 64-bit, you need to tweak it. I have no experience with 64-bit code.

I've compiled it with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 in 32-bit mode and works with files greater than 4GB too (at least for me).

bensyverson

It would be helpful to know how many bytes each of the fields in the footer should be... Is that information available somewhere? If so then I should be able to get it working for 64 bit...

scrax

Quote from: a1ex on May 14, 2013, 08:09:01 PM
The code is not ready for 64-bit, you need to tweak it. I have no experience with 64-bit code.

I've compiled it with -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 in 32-bit mode and works with files greater than 4GB too (at least for me).
I've updated the file in the link so osx user try and report back, if now it works.

aaphotog

Quote from: scrax on May 14, 2013, 10:09:32 PM
I've updated the file in the link so osx user try and report back, if now it works.
which link?

Ultiva

Hi!

First of all
Big THX to the ML Team for making this possible!
If this was a religion you guys could all live in a nice palace in Rome!

Anyways - i was wandering - How much noise reduction do you people apply in your postprocessing workflow? When I create prores4444 clips with after effects my clips have quiet a bit of digital noise- Removal is easy with adobe cam RAW but  is this normal ? WHat are your experiences?-I mean my "RAW-pictures" usually dont need that kind of "attention".
And btw we are talking daylight shots at ISO 160. ;)

Rush

Ultiva, just a little advice - with H.264 it is best to expose to the middle of histogram:

with RAW it is optimal to expose to the right:

To not deal with noise in underexposed areas.

btw, looking forward for RAW histogram to work in movie mode.
Greetings from Russia!

stevegalle

Hi Scrax, if you're talking about the files here: https://bitbucket.org/600dplus/magic-lantern-things/downloads
unfortunately they're still not working for >2GB

Steve

Colemar

stevegalle is correct, it is the same error message:
QuoteError: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file

ls: *.dng: No such file or directory
Nothing converted

it happens on any .raw file I have tried larger than 2GB

nkeppol

Thanks for all the hard work ML team! This is all super exciting. I'm going to donate again, you guys deserve it!

I just wanted to chime in with my experiences.

I've been using a 90MB/s San Disc Extreme Pro 32GB CF card and recording 1920x1080 without a problem. File sizes seem to be around 4.27 GB before it stops recording.

Quote from: Colemar on May 15, 2013, 12:48:34 AM
stevegalle is correct, it is the same error message:
it happens on any .raw file I have tried larger than 2GB

I've successfully converted and opened files under 2GB but I'm experiencing the same >2GB error messages in raw2dng on OSX Mountain Lion.

Happy to test any possible solutions. 

mjneubrander

I found a way to get prores4444/ap4h using free tools ... without adobe software... It is quite quick. I do not have any editing software to test the video out on. Opening it in kmplayer confirms ap4h but it looks a bit over exposed. Give me a heads up if this is not right or feel free to alter it and write a working version.

Setup
1. Download AnotherGUI 1.6 and prores4444 preset from http://www.authorityfx.com/encoding-videos-in-prores-4444-on-windows/
2. Optional enjoy the youtube tutorial or read the page on using AnotherGUI
3. Download AnotherGUI 1.7 beta from http://doom10.org/index.php?topic=1943.0. This one actually works with win 7
4. Extract both versions and copy the "AnotherGUI Presets.xml" from the directory with AnotherGUI 1.6 to the directory of AnotherGUI 1.7 beta and overwrite it. This has the prores4444 preset in it unless you wish to write you own ffmbc command line code.
5. Grab ffmpeg http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ I used ffmpeg-20130514-git-56ba331-win64-static. AnotherGUI 1.7 beta will be looking for ffmpeg when it starts.
6. Extract ffmpeg with your choice of compression software.
7. Copy all "ffmpeg.exe", "ffplay.exe", and "ffprobe.exe" to the directory with AnotherGUI 1.7 beta
8. Grab ffmbc from http://code.google.com/p/ffmbc/ I used FFmbc-0.7rc8-win64
9. Extract ffmbc with your choice of compression software.
10. Copy the "ffmbc.exe" into the folder with AnotherGUI 1.7 beta

Process
1. Extract dng from raw using raw2dng.exe. ~ 30s / 1000 frames
2. Use ImageMagick. Open a command prompt and change directory to the where the dng files are execute "mogrify -format tiff *.dng" to convert the dng to a sequence of high bit depth tiff files. ~5min 40s / 1000 frames
3. Open AnotherGUI 1.7 beta. Select the first file in the tiff sequence. Select the prores4444 preset. Press Go to convert the sequence of tiff to a .mov. ~1min 45s / 1000 frames

Testing done on a SandyBridge i7 laptop with 1003 frames of 1280x540 raws

Visit the AnotherGUI developers preset gallery for other video formats
http://www.stuudio.ee/anothergui/presets.html

silvertonesx24

When I run raw2dng off my system drive (SSD) where both the application and raw file are in the same folder, it works great.

When I try to run raw2dng off a different internal drive, I get

Error: could not open /Volumes/etccccc
and
mkdir: /1302172738: Permission denied

What simple solution am I missing here?

OSX, 10.7

paramon

even after setting AE default preferences to 24fps instead of 30, i still get weird  motion
what's missing?

zmelms

Quote from: nkeppol on May 15, 2013, 02:01:28 AM
Thanks for all the hard work ML team! This is all super exciting. I'm going to donate again, you guys deserve it!

I just wanted to chime in with my experiences.

I've been using a 90MB/s San Disc Extreme Pro 32GB CF card and recording 1920x1080 without a problem. File sizes seem to be around 4.27 GB before it stops recording.

I've successfully converted and opened files under 2GB but I'm experiencing the same >2GB error messages in raw2dng on OSX Mountain Lion.

Happy to test any possible solutions.

Same issue here,  Also it appears I have to do the files one at a time and wait for my clock to advance to a new minute as that's how it's naming the files, based on the clock.  Ideas,  updated download?

Thanks, Z

kgv5

Guys

i tried to use twixtor and it seems to have a problem with frame blending in RAW DNG sequences.

I thought I could use FPS override sometimes (17-20 fps) to have better resolution with not so much movement (6D and 37-39 mb/s write speed).

If sameone had any successes with things above plese reveal some good workflow.

Thanks
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

tin2tin

If the image sequence is tif, png, jpg, bmp or tga and the sequence starts with 0,1,2,3 or 4 (ex. Img_0000.png) then EyeFrame Converter can be used to convert into various formats like DNxHD, Prores, MJPEG and MPEG2 I Frame HD. If there is a similar named wav file located in the same folder as the image sequence it will automatically be added to the video.

http://eyeframeconverter.wordpress.com

sicetime

This is interesting to me, that this thread hasn't gotten more attention.

I would say one of the hardest part of using this new amazing feature is the LENGTHY post process.

Am I right in saying that raw2dng and then after effects is the best way right now (mac)? This process takes AGES for me, anyone come up with something better/faster?

paramon

it's still faster than film :)

BIG thank you to the ML team, the raw image out of 5D is just stunning, and it is real RAW