uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redrocks

Quote from: hirethestache on May 16, 2013, 02:37:34 AM
Im going to catch flack for asking this again, but I did not see a response in the pages since posting.

I think the devs have moved away from HDMI hacking due to limitations of the tech, but they surprise us constantly. If you have an external recorder it might be worth selling it and buying a few fast CF cards.

bumkicho

Has anyone tried 5D3's new firmware with ninja2? I am wondering if it's possible to record internally as well as through hdmi on ninja2.
When 5D3 firmware 1.2.1 is supported by ML, it would be nice to record prores proxy to ninja2 and to record 14bit raw internally. I may be wishing too much.

CFP

Quote from: Andy600 on May 16, 2013, 06:18:01 PM
I'm just wondering if the faster cards are getting twice the performance?
On my EOS 600D with a card that reaches the 21 MB/s limit I was able to get:

- 1280 X 720 | stops after  71 frames | ~ 10 of them are purple frames
- 1280 X 400 | over 1500 frames | ~ 40 of them are purple frames
- 720 X 720 | over 1500 frames| ~ 30 of them are purple frames
- 960 X 540 | over 1500 frames | ~ 30 of them are purple frames

Settings: Golbal Draw = Off, 1080 24p mode, fps override = Off

The card was fresh formated. Quite nice, isn't it?

I also have that problem with these colorful dots if I check the images with Google Picasa ...
But when I open them in Lightroom 4 they disappear ???

olik

Quote from: Andy600 on May 16, 2013, 07:25:23 PM
Next thing to try now that I'm getting some nice footage is to convert to LOG intermediaries (in AE) for grading in Resolve. No one has mentioned doing that yet. Were still effectively dealing with REC709 images. LOG should be better for extreme grading and with the extra bit depth the color won't suffer. Fun time :)

how do you mean? raw is always Logarithic. I converted the adobe-dngs with AFX to DPX Full range "log" and imported those into resolve. You will lose alot of the flexibility of raw (my afx does not support cinema-dng yet) but still mindblowing what you can do in terms of grading with it. Oh I have not tried it yet, but can cs5 export .R3D? maybe that is the best road to go.

Shawn_Lights

Quote from: squig on May 16, 2013, 07:16:18 PM
May 13 (tear fix build) Lexar 600x 16Gb.. It's pretty solid, no dropped frames @ 1280x720 and no tearing or any other weirdness. I have to hit the menu button to stop recording which screws up the last 5 frames but other than that it's all good.

How many secs do you get on a take?

iaremrsir

Quote from: Andy600 on May 16, 2013, 07:25:23 PM
Next thing to try now that I'm getting some nice footage is to convert to LOG intermediaries (in AE) for grading in Resolve. No one has mentioned doing that yet. Were still effectively dealing with REC709 images. LOG should be better for extreme grading and with the extra bit depth the color won't suffer. Fun time :)

VisionColor is developing VisionColor, VisionLog, and CineTech for Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom.

Shawn_Lights

Quote from: CFP on May 16, 2013, 07:51:48 PM
On my EOS 600D with a card that reaches the 21 MB/s limit I was able to get:

- 1280 X 720 | stops after  71 frames | ~ 10 of them are purple frames
- 1280 X 400 | over 1500 frames | ~ 40 of them are purple frames
- 720 X 720 | over 1500 frames| ~ 30 of them are purple frames
- 960 X 540 | over 1500 frames | ~ 30 of them are purple frames

Settings: Golbal Draw = Off, 1080 24p mode, fps override = Off

The card was fresh formated. Quite nice, isn't it?

I also have that problem with these colorful dots if I check the images with Google Picasa ...
But when I open them in Lightroom 4 they disappear ???

That's damn good. purple frames popping up randomly or only in the beginning?

danielnix

Im using the mark iii and would like to shoot in RAW video, I keeps seeing video posting so I know it can be done. I will pay someone VIA pay-pal to guide me through the process. Im having a problem. when I put the autobin file on the card and I boot the disc nothing happens when I put it in my camera.

Andy600

600d users - try switching everything OFF in the menu. I'm not getting pink frames after doing it.

@iaremrsir - they might well be but I'm not a fan of their colors or presets in general ;) The whole point of shooting with a stylised Picture Style was because we were limited to 8bit H.264 and getting the look right in camera was an easier option. The 8bit video image would fall apart in post when pushed too far. RAW gives you freedom to grade how you want.

BTW you can match any picture style if you know how to make and use LUTs. I've already made a couple of LUTs to match the Canon profiles for my own flat PS.

@Olik - I thought RAW is Linear as it's straight from the sensor? We can't currently import DNG into Resolve as is so it would need an intermediary. I'm thinking convert to LOG in AE then output DNxHD.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

CFP

Quote from: Shawn_Lights on May 16, 2013, 08:04:39 PM
purple frames popping up randomly or only in the beginning?
No. It's more like:

First 120 frames are fine. Then every sixth frame is purple for about 3 seconds. Then the next 250 frames are fine again. Then again every every sixth is purple for about 3 seconds. It's strange, but way better than it was with the first versions.

The numbers vary but that seems to be the scheme.

I was using todays Nightly Build and "BeepsTwice" raw_rec.

But I will try what Andy600 suggested ... Unless I'm not sure if that'll have any affect since Global Draw is already off.

mujart

Dear All

i was installed ML fro my 5d MK iii and he is istalled but say"Script dir missing" and i press "Load Modules" and nothing happens, there is no RAW Video line basically,
i was tried to repeat the installation, BUT the camera shut down so i chenged the battery (its full) and its work several times till the camera still not working >> when make the camera ON there is nothing happen !!

i just downloaded ML files from this: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7QlH_BH2m32dWpOOEpkWktXMXM/edit and follow this instructions http://www.cinema5d.com/news/?p=17898

please is there any solution????

haysuess

This is so awesome to play with!

I have a Mark II, and a Transcend 400x 32GB card. When I run the benchmarks, my write speed is around 37.5-50MB/s, only at 16384k buffer is it under 40, and with the rest it's usually closer to 50. Read speeds are around 65MB/s consistently.

The anomaly is at 128k buffer it's only 25.5MB/s write speed :(

I'm trying to record at 1280x720 at 24fps, and it says i only need 36.9MB/s to record, however, I only get a few seconds before it starts skipping bad and automatically stops.

Even at 1280 x 540, which says it only requires 27.6MB/s it starts skipping within 10 seconds.

I can record without skipping at 960 x 540, but I still get a lot of magenta blocking.

I tried with both the May 14, and May 16 nightly builds and the 5D Mark II record module and autoexec.bin that someone else posted.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this normal?

noisyboy

Quote from: iaremrsir on May 16, 2013, 08:02:26 PM
VisionColor is developing VisionColor, VisionLog, and CineTech for Adobe Camera Raw and Lightroom.

Amazing! Hooray for visioncolor :)

JackDaniel412

silvertonesx24

Idea: It would be nice to automatically toggle/disable global draw upon recording. Then you could set all of your levels etc and when you hit record have maximum performance.

Shawn_Lights

Quote from: silvertonesx24 on May 16, 2013, 09:27:34 PM
Idea: It would be nice to automatically toggle/disable global draw upon recording. Then you could set all of your levels etc and when you hit record have maximum performance.

Definitely. Perhaps a shortcut defined button.

Habitat

It's not very clear where I can find the latest version to test on my 5D Mark III? Anyone plz?

1%

On other cameras you don't need global draw off... this still sounds like something is drawing where it shouldn't or something uses that edmac channel.

vitos1k

Quote from: haysuess on May 16, 2013, 09:15:40 PM
This is so awesome to play with!

I have a Mark II, and a Transcend 400x 32GB card. When I run the benchmarks, my write speed is around 37.5-50MB/s, only at 16384k buffer is it under 40, and with the rest it's usually closer to 50. Read speeds are around 65MB/s consistently.

The anomaly is at 128k buffer it's only 25.5MB/s write speed :(

I'm trying to record at 1280x720 at 24fps, and it says i only need 36.9MB/s to record, however, I only get a few seconds before it starts skipping bad and automatically stops.

Even at 1280 x 540, which says it only requires 27.6MB/s it starts skipping within 10 seconds.

I can record without skipping at 960 x 540, but I still get a lot of magenta blocking.

I tried with both the May 14, and May 16 nightly builds and the 5D Mark II record module and autoexec.bin that someone else posted.

Is there something I'm missing, or is this normal?

global draw off, and also set FPS override to 24

robert_b

this is what I'm getting with a 45MB/s Sandisk memory card
  at 1120 by 480 using a 600D, the settings are at default, I'll do some test with the global draw turned off

vipmask

If you first do a write benchmark card and then start recording there is no drop-down shots! Probably during the test memory is freed. 
Flying camera in Russia

KenFTW

camera: 600D
card: Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb
Global draw: off
bitrate set at 20x

1280x360: 1 of 840 frames was unusable (completely black), no magenta blocking whatsoever, no skipped frames, and I stopped the recording

CRAZY!

Peter Linov

Just from filming the concert.
And I found a few minutes to record RAW, My boss will be very sad, but I did it!
But now the video in RAW, I was not able to record more than 20 seconds without dropping frames.
I just need a high-speed  flash !
And...By the way, I do a little correction on RAW, and it's not very good ....
You can see this for yourself:

If you are interested in an uncompressed download here:
http://yadi.sk/d/OAtKYdwJ4uPav

AnotherDave

Sadly, I've upgraded to 1.2.1 and my 5D3 is being used with an Atomos for a project... so I can't test this builds out until it is done.

But, I was thinking... the main problem it seems we're dealing with here is the write speed of the CF cards, right?

There are plenty of companies that make CF to SSD converters... there HAS to be a way to adapter SSD to CF.  Right?

That would solve all the issues of speed, and storage with raw shooting.  Some sort of external module with a cable connector
and a pin converter...

Or am I just being hopeful?

Dave

mageye

These are my little tests. The very short edits are because this is how long I can record at 1880x720. You may also notice some jumping too. Of course this is far from perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=p9uZXUGDJSA

Recorded on the 5DMKII with DURACELL Pro Photo 600x UDMA 16GB CF card. I think the build I was using was the one from the 13th?

I have ordered a Komputerbay 1000x 32Gb and am hoping that it will improve the situation (reading the posts on here I am glad I chose the 32Gb one instead of the 128Gb)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7