uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn_Lights

Quote from: N/A on May 16, 2013, 05:39:25 PM
First was normal h264, second was 640x480 with raw resolution set to 1280x400.

Awesome. The raw blew the H264 away in my opinion. Also the aspect ratio was fine with me. Then again I'm an anamorphic fan.

Framing wise, does the liveview show 640x480?

KahL

Any chance you guys have a few 720x480 DNG frames on hand (from the 600D)? I'd like to do some resolution and color tests here while I wait :)

1%

How are the 600D 32M buffers working? Raw speed with 32M went down for 6D, 600D originally had 31M buffers so maybe better or no change.

tackyattack

Quote from: Shawn_Lights on May 16, 2013, 05:09:33 PM
If we can get a 550D build I'll engage in testing as well.

Yeah, if this comes to the 550D, I'd love to do some testing too  ;)
Really hope the 550D is actually capable of doing what the 600D has been doing.

Kuky

I can confirm that a 5D mk 3 with Peter Linov posted firmware (from 12May) and a Sandisk Extrem Pro 90MB/s 16 Gb CF card    *CAN*    record 1920x1080 without skipping frames.

I don't know what commit number is that firmware but it does not appear to have tearing/stuttering. But didn't do many tests.

I had the impression that both my CF card had roughly the same speed:

- Lexar Professional 600x UDMA 16 Gb
- Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s 16 Gb

Here are both cards benchmarked with commit b6c2ae6:

Bottom line:

Lexar GO HOME!

Andy600

@1% - who are you asking? I'm not sure what build had what buffers but your latest one is the best so far.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

I'm still only using a card with a 10MB/s write speed (half of what the buffer can handle on the 600d) but it writes 1280x400 RAW (ok, it's only 4 seconds lol). What are the faster cards getting with respect to frame sizes?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

mattmvpmedia

Just wanted to chime in that the latest build for 600D is so much better - thank you.

I did a 960x540 test and only had 1 or 2 frames of tearing/magenta blocks on a 10 second clip. Of course, the camera can't quite keep up with speed and drops a few frames on 960x540, so that may be related to the issue.

I did a 960x500 test and had a quick magenta block frame at the beginning, but after that it ran like a champ on my 20 second clip and looks great. No dropped frames at 900x500.

Thanks ML team- you rock.

mattmvpmedia

Hi Andy600,

can you record 1280x400 on the 600D with no dropped frames? I've got a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s card and I drop a few frames at that resolution. Thanks,

Matt

ashtrai

Quote from: mattmvpmedia on May 16, 2013, 06:08:09 PM
Hi Andy600,

can you record 1280x400 on the 600D with no dropped frames? I've got a SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s card and I drop a few frames at that resolution. Thanks,

Matt

If I've understood it correctly, the card speed doesn't matter as the XXXD cameras have a maximum SD-interface speed of ~21Mb/s.

Andy600

Quote from: mattmvpmedia on May 16, 2013, 06:08:09 PM
Hi Andy600,

Matt

Yes, only 4 seconds though. I was looking at the wrong folder where I'd shot about 1600 frames continuously but at lowest dimensions. I've had a few shots where I didn't get any pink frames at all and others where they pop up randomly.

TW have you tried a low level reformat of your card? I did and it seemed to help a bit. I was also testing if formatting with bigger block sizes made a difference. The block size does affect things but not in the camera. Larger block sizes mean it takes ages to copy the small ML files back to the card after formatting so I'm gonna go back to the defaults.

1%

Yep, but 21MB/s still depends on a card that can pull that off. Write size is important... 6D 32MB writes = 27MB and 30MB writes produced 28-29MB/s.. so on 600D if you were getting 19 previous build and now 17 or 18... thats what I'm asking about.

Andy600

@ashtrai - yes that's right but my card only writes at half that (10MB/s). I'm just wondering if the faster cards are getting twice the performance?

N/A

Quote from: 1% on May 16, 2013, 05:49:45 PM
How are the 600D 32M buffers working? Raw speed with 32M went down for 6D, 600D originally had 31M buffers so maybe better or no change.
The 32M buffers definitely helped, 1280x480 runs longer until it skips frames, up from 5 seconds to 9 or 10 seconds. 1280x400 works just fine, a frame or two in the first couple seconds get corrupted then its smooth sailing from there. Still gotta test it out with running for a few minutes but as of now its much more stable than even a few days ago.

Its still stopping once it gets up to 21 MB/s continuous so even with a 95 MB/s card I'm thinking thats the limit.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Andy600

@1% - what's the best way to test it? What should I be looking at? I have both builds

EDIT: Ignore that. I can see. Just loading previous build to compare

1%

Pick the same res and record.. see what the write indicator says.

Andy600

@1% - Ok, big difference

shot both at 960x320

Latest build/latest raw_rec.mo = 316 frames before skipping 9.9MB/s
Previous build/previous raw_rec.mo = 70 frames before skipping 7MB/s

mattmvpmedia

So far I've found that I can shoot at 960x500 raw with no dropped frames with Global Draw off. I'm using a SanDisk Pro Extreme 95MB/s SD card.

- If I turn Global Draw on with focus peaking and/or zebras on, it drops frames.
- However, I can have Global Draw on with the Histogram and waveform monitor on and it records with no dropped frames - just as long as focus peaking and zebras are turned off.
-Also, if I plug in the mini HDMI cable and connect to an external monitor I can continue to shoot with Global Draw on, histogram and waveform monitor on, and no dropped frames.

I think it may be time to shoot some real stuff :) Very pleased - thanks so much to the ML team.

1%

Yup after testing, 32MB buffers aren't making a negative difference.

squig

sicetime

Quote from: squig on May 16, 2013, 07:04:24 PM

Hey squig, which build are you working with for this? Which card are you writing to? What's your experience with it all, what are you able to pump out of the 600x?

Quote from the vimeo link
"5D MK3 Magic Lantern RAW May 13 build + Iscorama 1.5x anamorphic lens 1280x720 Lexar 600x card."

Andy600

Just switched EVERYTHING off in the menu. No dropped frames up to until I try 960x500 which is twice my cards write capability although no dropped frames at wider dimensions (just shorter busts). (I changed to 1080p 24fps in the canon menu btw). Slowly getting towards an optimal setting for my 600d/card. I can live happily with 10-20 sec bursts.

squig

May 13 (tear fix build) Lexar 600x 16Gb.. It's pretty solid, no dropped frames @ 1280x720 and no tearing or any other weirdness. I have to hit the menu button to stop recording which screws up the last 5 frames but other than that it's all good.

ernestoeduardo

Hi guys, can you please post the link for the latest 5d2 build ?

I have been getting a black line on the right side of my frame at 1880x720 on 5d2, it´s 16px wide, not dead black, but kind of purple-black. Will post images later. Also a pretty bad false color on a fence with a bright backlight.

Anyone can point to a free service where I can upload images to embed on my posts ?

Thanks

Andy600

Next thing to try now that I'm getting some nice footage is to convert to LOG intermediaries (in AE) for grading in Resolve. No one has mentioned doing that yet. Were still effectively dealing with REC709 images. LOG should be better for extreme grading and with the extra bit depth the color won't suffer. Fun time :)