uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Linov

Quote from: Kuky on May 16, 2013, 01:30:36 PM
@Peter Linov

Can you pls post a link or just post the build you are using for 5dmk3?
I'm trying the ommit b6c2ae6 commit but can't open dng files.

Sorry, my English is not very good.
The settings in the camera 5DMIII?
Or how I process RAW, what .... I'm sorry, I do not understand.

Andy600

What we need is a basic app to copy each .RAW file from the card to it's own folder along with a copy of raw2dng.exe, run raw2dng.exe in each folder then delete the .RAWs plus maybe the option to delete the .RAWs from the card. I'm no programmer but this sounds relatively simple no?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Kuky

Quote from: Peter Linov on May 16, 2013, 01:33:45 PM
Sorry, my English is not very good.
The settings in the camera 5DMIII?
Or how I process RAW, what .... I'm sorry, I do not understand.

The firmware. A zip file containing autoexec.bin and ML folder.

Thank you,
Cristian

Peter Linov

s---70

Hey there
this question has probably already been asked, but whats the great advantage of 14 bit vs. 12 bit RAW recording? If people have problems with 1080p on some cards but get it working nicely with 900p, why can't you just reduce the bitsize and therefore storage / datarate requirements? Sure 14 bit give more colors to work with but I can't imagine any situation where 12 bit is not enough. Am I missing something?

mageye

Quote from: s---70 on May 16, 2013, 02:22:07 PM
Hey there
this question has probably already been asked, but whats the great advantage of 14 bit vs. 12 bit RAW recording? If people have problems with 1080p on some cards but get it working nicely with 900p, why can't you just reduce the bitsize and therefore storage / datarate requirements? Sure 14 bit give more colors to work with but I can't imagine any situation where 12 bit is not enough. Am I missing something?

Take a look at this ...

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/bit-depth.htm
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

s---70

Quote from: mageye on May 16, 2013, 02:27:55 PM
Take a look at this ...

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/bit-depth.htm

are you referring to the "bit depth visualization"? That "12 bit" image shows a 4 bit per channel bit depth and we're talking about 12 bit/channel here ;-)

mageye

Quote from: s---70 on May 16, 2013, 02:33:12 PM
are you referring to the "bit depth visualization"? That "12 bit" image shows a 4 bit per channel bit depth and we're talking about 12 bit/channel here ;-)

Not following you there?

The images (*.dng) files that are being discussed on this forum are 14-bit (apparently). I posted the link to the Cambridge in Colour site just as a good reference to explain bit depth. It makes it pretty clear (at least to me) about the differences in bit depth. I posted the link purely as an information source. I think that such a site is a good resource as regards to digital photography. Some of the fundamental stuff is important for reference (in my opinion anyway)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

s---70

Of course there's a slight advantage of 14 bit over 12 bit, but I'd definitely prefer to have 1080 instead of 900 lines over having 14 bit instead of 12 bit recording depth. The Black Magic Cinema Camera also records with 12 bit and I haven't heard anyone complaining about that. Maybe an option to choose between 14 bit and 12 bit would be a good thing to add.

Edit: I've read that the Raw data comes in a 14 bit linear format. If I understand correctly, it would be necessary to convert to a log format when using 12 bit to avoid losing dynamic range. Is that the problem?

jpgentry

Quote from: s---70 on May 16, 2013, 02:22:07 PM
Hey there

You don't understand, we are getting data straight off the sensor in raw format. Trying to compress that information is an additional step for the developers here. So it's not that there's an advantage or disadvantage, it's just that this is where we are at this particular stage of development.

You are getting 24P RAW photos collected into a single file, then breaking them apart into multiple DNG files, 24 per second, and recompiling them into a video clip.

Andy600

@jpgentry - exactly! and we can bet the developers have had these ideas themselves and know the limitations of the hardware. What they are doing is remarkable and we should all let them just do their thing. I think we would all be better off helping them iron out any bugs first.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

I think for 600D we need to try a different read edmac and a different connection. I have a feeling from earlier testing that something is using them sporadically... the pink frames don't come at regular intervals and look like something tried to write there.

s---70

Quote from: s---70 on May 16, 2013, 03:50:15 PM
Edit: I've read that the Raw data comes in a 14 bit linear format. If I understand correctly, it would be necessary to convert to a log format when using 12 bit to avoid losing dynamic range. Is that the problem?

did I get it right there?

Stedda

Quote from: Andy600 on May 16, 2013, 04:14:13 PM
What they are doing is remarkable and we should all let them just do their thing. I think we would all be better off helping them iron out any bugs first.

Amen, this feature has been around for less than a week... I say they've already provided an awesome feature set and they owe us nothing this is a free. Give them a break, I'm sure by the time this is included in a full release we'll all have more than we could have ever imagined.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Andy600

@1% - I've shot quite a few things at different frames sizes to see if there is a pattern to when pink frames appear and it seems totally random. One theory might be that the card itself has issues? Bad sectors or something. All the pink frames I see look like the cropped area jumps to another part of the sensor. Could the autopan feature be a cause?

1%

I don't think its auto pan... I don't have these issues on 6D and had a lot of trouble with early edmac_memcpy on 600D.

Its either sync or something is messing with the edmac.

haavard

Using the "Build 16 Mai by forum member "a.d."" from the "Raw video on 5DMK2" thread, the 5D Mk2 does not update the space left between recorded clips. I have tried going in and out of live view mode, but it does not change the space left.
The only option is rebooting the camera.

N/A

Quote from: 1% on May 16, 2013, 04:29:33 PM
I don't think its auto pan... I don't have these issues on 6D and had a lot of trouble with early edmac_memcpy on 600D.

Its either sync or something is messing with the edmac.
I only get the pink frames once or twice in the first second or two of footage, then the rest is just fine.

This is with the Sandisk 95, if that makes a shit.

Did this video with the newest 600D build, 1280x720 at 24fps for the h264, and 640x480 at 24 fps with raw resolution set at 1280x400.

Better to use raw in 720p or 480? Seems like the images are cropped differently in each setting, but scaling the 400 up to 720 barely has any effect on quality.

7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Shawn_Lights

Quote from: N/A on May 16, 2013, 05:05:50 PM
I only get the pink frames once or twice in the first second or two of footage, then the rest is just fine.

This is with the Sandisk 95, if that makes a shit.

Did this video with the newest 600D build, 1280x720 at 24fps for the h264, and 640x480 at 24 fps with raw resolution set at 1280x400.

Better to use raw in 720p or 480? Seems like the images are cropped differently in each setting, but scaling the 400 up to 720 barely has any effect on quality.

The second shot to my eye had more detail and looked great. Was that the 480 setting?

If we can get a 550D build I'll engage in testing as well.

Andy600

I'm noticing a couple of little green dots on my DNGs. I thought they might be dead/hot pixels but they are not there on jpegs, CR2 or .mov files

1%

Probably defects...

6D stuff upscales to 2K wide and 1K high without any noticeable loss from 1/2 of that pretty much.

Andy600

@1% - yes, my image viewer says the DNGs are 300dpi so upscaling 4x shouldn't degrade when compared to H.264 (72dpi), especially if 1x1 crop

sicetime

I feel like I get so lost in this forum, in a beautiful way.

Can someone point me to the latest module/nightly build for the 5diii?

Is it safe to assume that the 128gb komputerbay is slower compared to the 32 and 64?

Anyone running a 64gb komputerbay 1000x able to record constant 1080p?

I know that cinema5d/eoshd both used the 128gb on their tests, so are they lying about getting 1920x1080?

Or is it possible that older builds were able to pull that info?

As always, thanks!

N/A

Quote from: Shawn_Lights on May 16, 2013, 05:09:33 PM
The second shot to my eye had more detail and looked great. Was that the 480 setting?

If we can get a 550D build I'll engage in testing as well.

First was normal h264, second was 640x480 with raw resolution set to 1280x400.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?