uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DjJuvan

Just a little tip for developers... I think you should add an option to delete .RAW files from inside the camera.... if you make a lot of mistakes while shooting and not able to delete last failed shoot, it's gonna be a problem shooting outside. :)

PS: And adding the "start/stop" recording in RAW outside the ML menu.

g3gg0

its time for a file manager module ;)

who does it?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

ted ramasola

Quote from: DjJuvan on May 15, 2013, 11:16:32 AM
Just a little tip for developers... I think you should add an option to delete .RAW files from inside the camera.... if you make a lot of mistakes while shooting and not able to delete last failed shoot, it's gonna be a problem shooting outside. :)

PS: And adding the "start/stop" recording in RAW outside the ML menu.

+1

Thank you for suggesting this!!!
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

saad

And another test I did, this time with Cinestyle on:

:)

HugoFilipe

Is there any chance of a benchmark from the Komputerbay 128GB 1000x card?
Will it be able to hold 1920x1080 continuously?

Lcrusher

Both EosHD and Cinema5D confirm that Komputerbay works on fullHD

ExplosiveFilms

Sorry if I missed it if it was clearly stated before:
Is there a difference in RAW video performance on the Mark II compared to the Mark III?

DjJuvan

Quote from: Lcrusher on May 15, 2013, 12:42:51 PM
Both EosHD and Cinema5D confirm that Komputerbay works on fullHD

Not exactly true... they had dropframes.

tuzzio

Quote from: coutts on May 14, 2013, 12:49:27 AM
This should work for 5d2, double buffering enabled:
http://bit.ly/10TBM7a

extract the MODULES directory into /ML/ on your card

this link is down because of too much traffic.. can i download it somewhere else??

Rush

Quote from: ashtrai on May 15, 2013, 01:20:57 AM
Can someone post samples from these resolutions from a 600D? I want to try to compare it upscaled against the H264 equivalents.
1280х360:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w48Eqz7DAlg
Greetings from Russia!

Brian@202020

Quote from: squig on May 15, 2013, 06:29:22 AM
What for? There's no aliasing or moire.

That's sarcasm I hope. Regardless of whether the 5D3 is shooting H264 or RAW it's still line skipping. It's very apparent in the RAW shots posted, except the 1-1 stuff. That said it's good enough for most people in most situations, I just strive for perfection. Magic Lantern is one of the keys, and Mosaic Engineering is the other.

kgv5

I think that canon bosses are now thanking to God that engeneers didn't give 208mhz UHS-I card controller for 600d, 6d and other cameras...
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Andy600

@1% - just found a bug on the 600d. If you use 5x/10x zoom, the readout that tells you the write speed and FPS (RAW) changes from 24fps to 29.974fps even if FPS override is enabled
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

g3gg0

LV zoom modes have a different video mode and fixed FPS
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Andy600

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 15, 2013, 01:20:53 PM
LV zoom modes have a different video mode and fixed FPS

Exclusive of NTSC/PAL selection?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Kuky

What worflows do you guys use with the DNG files in Windows environment?

I found out that:

A. Davinci Resolve does not support them.
B. Adobe Speedgrade does not support them.
C. Adobe Lightroom it's ok, but only for simple tasks. For example if you do a highlight recovery and sync all dng files then export to a nle will result in flicker. Probably because although all files have exactly the same settings, internally LR will try to optimise the highlight recovery on a per file basis. (?).
D. AfterEffects through the ACR import. This will have best results. Once you set the interpretation on first file, it's smart enough to keep things consistent for the sequence.  Very, very slow.
E. Cineform Studio/Pro (also the dpx2cf tool) will recognise dng files and convert the sequence to a cineform raw file. You have to fiddle with demosaic (advanced detail 3 seems to work best) and all other settings. The fastest way to preview your movies. Converting it's ultrafast and the result is realtime playable. Fastest way to edit, until now.
F. uffraw batch. Tried once, but slow.

Any other ideas? It seems that cinemadng files and dng files are not *exactly* the same thing and didn't find a way to convert from one to another.

Regards,
Cristian

PS. If the raw2dng could convert directly to cinemadng would be awesome.

Andy600

@Kuky - I think Ginger HDR uses a DNG/CinemaDNG wrapper in AE and Premier Pro. Not sure if that would improve things?

http://19lights.com/wp/tutorials/raw-and-cinemadng-wrapper-workflow/

jipo

Hi,
first of all, i would like to thank you all developers, activities around the raw recording are very promising...nice work:-)
Maybe i missed it, but i didn't find any discussion about fps, so me question is simple:
is it possible (theoretically in the future) use this lv/raw recording functionality to enable currently not possible frame rates(for slow motion) in the limited resolution to satisfy discussed write speeds? Or there is no relation with the livv view buffer reading?

mageye

Quote from: mixmastermike on May 15, 2013, 07:23:25 AM
I wasn't able to record 1920 x 1080, with earlier builds the buffer kept filling up but doing some testing today with the May 14th build it seemed to sort it out. I didn't stress it out with leave's or trees or anything like that but the frame were busy and it handled it well till i hit the 4Gb limit.

Are you running the latest build?

I want to draw attention to something here. You talk about 'stressing stuff out'. You need to think of RAW as a whole different beast (from compressed formats such as h264). With RAW a 'frame' will always be exactly the same size(in Mb). This means that a highly detailed image will contain exactly the same amount of data as a low detail image (even a blank frame) There is NO compression going on at all so there is no 'stressing'. Whereas compression based formats (h264) vary in size (and of course quality). This is why there is a variability with the image sizes of files in h264.

Just to clarify this you might want to check the file sizes of your RAW (*.dng) frames. You will find that they are always the same size(of course dependent on the resolution). This is the double edged sword that is RAW. On the one hand it has the absolute best quality at the expensive of being so space hungry (I mean in MB/s). Once you can deal with the data rate you should be fine. In simple terms the data requirements are a constant.
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Kuky on May 15, 2013, 01:23:58 PM
What worflows do you guys use with the DNG files in Windows environment?

I found out that:

A. Davinci Resolve does not support them.
B. Adobe Speedgrade does not support them.
C. Adobe Lightroom it's ok, but only for simple tasks. For example if you do a highlight recovery and sync all dng files then export to a nle will result in flicker. Probably because although all files have exactly the same settings, internally LR will try to optimise the highlight recovery on a per file basis. (?).
D. AfterEffects through the ACR import. This will have best results. Once you set the interpretation on first file, it's smart enough to keep things consistent for the sequence.  Very, very slow.
E. Cineform Studio/Pro (also the dpx2cf tool) will recognise dng files and convert the sequence to a cineform raw file. You have to fiddle with demosaic (advanced detail 3 seems to work best) and all other settings. The fastest way to preview your movies. Converting it's ultrafast and the result is realtime playable. Fastest way to edit, until now.
F. uffraw batch. Tried once, but slow.

Any other ideas? It seems that cinemadng files and dng files are not *exactly* the same thing and didn't find a way to convert from one to another.

Regards,
Cristian

PS. If the raw2dng could convert directly to cinemadng would be awesome.

I open (all DNGS at once) with Photoshop (ACR 7.1), select all thumbnails on the left first and then correct white balance, tint, and anything else needed like shadows, lumminance, etc.  Then make sure all the thumbnails are selected and and click on "Save Image" on the bottom left, select other options like jpg or tiff.  If you select jpg then set quality to 12 or some artifacts will show.  Saving in tiff works a lot faster but it uses tons of space.  jpg is much slower but uses little space.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Yoshiyuki Blade

Did a couple tests. Nothing particularly special here, I just splashed some water on tree leaves and shook them around a bit:

As expected, the quality is still butchered a bit in this low motion video. The first clip is in crop mode and the second one in normal mode. You may notice that the video "judders" a couple times near the end of each clip. Not sure what's causing it.

Testing out Mega for file hosting. Never tried it before, but let's see if it works. This one was arbitrarily encoded to BD specs and looks much, much better.
https://mega.co.nz/#!eJsWWARR!T_0A3AH4IW7Ec71kncXg5x1dV2ZenFu2o1OkXJ-hN-8

I'm not gonna post the lossless RGB source because this video isn't particularly interesting and that it's nearly 5 GB lol.

vicnaum

Quote from: Andy600 on May 15, 2013, 10:57:45 AM
@vicnaum - can you rerun the benchmark with Global Draw OFF? It's already near the maximum for the 600d buffer but interested to see if there's anymore

Here it is:

SDHC 16GB Sandisk Extreme HD Video (UHS-I, 45MB/s*, 300X, 10 class) on 600D. Global Draw: OFF.

(Did a format in-camera with "Keep ML")

Looks the same. Not more than 22 MB/s

Btw, is there any FAQ here with all the info in one place? E.g. I want to know which resolutions on 600D are crop, and which are line-skip full-sensor. Want to do some tests on different resolutions.

ajay

For those who are interested in the performance of the Transcend 32GB, 1000x. I reran the test with global draw off and in liveview:

AJ

Andy600

@Vicnaum - Thanks for the new benchmark. Ok, it's not really any different so it means we can probably use global draw without affecting bandwidth.

@Rush posted earlier in this thread regarding best settings for the 600d. Here's what he wrote:

The best you can with 600D (550D/60D) is: (limited by hardware SD transfer rates)
- 960х540, upscale it to 1280х720 (24 fps max)
- 1280х400, tight aspect 3.20:1 (24 fps max)
In Canon's 720p - lineskipping 1.66х, so you should upscale to restore correct ratio:
- 1280x400 upscales to 1280x664 - near to 16:9 (24 fps max)
- 1280x360 upscale to 1280x600 - 2.13:1 aspect
- 1280x320 upscale to 1280x533 - 2.40:1 cinemascope aspect

It is only 1280px wide, but pretty nice looking though :)

Yoshiyuki Blade

Quote from: ajay on May 15, 2013, 02:27:15 PM
For those who are interested in the performance of the Transcend 32GB, 1000x. I reran the test with global draw off and in liveview:

AJ

Interesting. So it can do 86 MB/s, but still can't quite do full 1080p? What does the raw recorder say when you set it that high? For the 5D2, it says it needs 81.2 MB/s for 1880x1080 and 86.6 MB/s for 1880x1152.