uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisyboy

1% - Didn't notice any speed change in photo mode no.

Liveview stream to seemed to work for a second to 6D and them camera gets error 70.

Second attempt seems to work okay but must be using same buffer as recording time was significantly reduced. Guess this ones a no starter.

olik

With the risk that this has already been discussed; is there a way to shoot 1280x720 without the crop factor (from the 1920x1080 resolution) on 5dmk2?
I would also be very interested what gives me more sharpness, 1920x1080 h264 or 1280x720 raw.

thanks
O.

1%

Ok, did some quick tests:

10X zoom with 720P overriden = fastest speed.
640x480 with 10x zoom and override = close (works for 600D but 6D still makes HD buffer same size)
1080P slower
720P better than 1080P

so this confirms if we shut down some buffers it will help. Also only get 3 buffer chunks... shut anything down and we'll get an extra one so more likely to be continuous at higher res.

ernestoeduardo

Hi everyone, i am getting this weird frame border on my 1880x720 videos, is 16px wide, and not completly black.

[I can not attach images, all i get when trying to is the bracketed tags, but no dialog to explore my PC ????]

stevefal

Quote from: a1ex on May 14, 2013, 06:04:51 PM
It probably has to do with Canon's downsampling algorithm?

Could be. I shot the same static gradient in normal and 5x and the latter has none of the "cardboard" effect. ACR luma noise reduction seems to take care of it. I've been setting it to 50.

Possibly related moire at :45 (distant building) and :50 (vertical column):

Quote from: cinema5D on May 14, 2013, 04:21:58 PM

Steve Falcon

stevefal

Idea: save copy of first frame as JPG with the same filename as the RAW, as a way to identify clips.
Steve Falcon

kslau8

Olik,

I did exactly those tests on the 5DMk2, it was quick but I've uploaded it to my site.  I also did a test to see what I could get from the shadows and highlights compared to h264.

Please visit my blog post for more info about settings:
http://www.walkhumblyfilms.com/?p=1257

Scaling Test

Dynamic Range - DNG vs H264 Test

Quote from: olik on May 14, 2013, 06:33:12 PM
With the risk that this has already been discussed; is there a way to shoot 1280x720 without the crop factor (from the 1920x1080 resolution) on 5dmk2?
I would also be very interested what gives me more sharpness, 1920x1080 h264 or 1280x720 raw.

thanks
O.

JackDaniel412

Hi everybody, there's a method to set personal height crop like 800px?
Thanks!

olik

Thank you kslau8,

how did you managed to get rid of the crop factor of the 720p footage? Did you just changed the distance to the subject to compensate the difference or is there a way in the menu to change the crop?

thanks
O.

CFP

Quote from: noisyboy on May 14, 2013, 08:13:37 PM

The Canon EOS 5D Mark III has nearly the same image quality as the Blackmagic Cinema Camera? Shit! This is way more than I have expected!

Canon, why don't you just give us what we want in the first place? And why do you have to give us such shitty SD controllers?  ;D
I would almost say I dislike Canon for creating this artificial limitations. But since Magic Lantern is only for Canon DSLRs there's no alternative anymore.

Well, again: Congratulations to all of you developers. Like I said, Magic Lantern truly is the hidden treasure of the internet.

I guess I'll start to save money ...

Brian@202020

Quote from: noisyboy on May 14, 2013, 08:13:37 PM

Interesting :)

Wow they are very comparable. They would cut together very nicely. You can see in the windows in the Dojo that the Blackmagic Cinema Camera has a little more latitude with less blow out. It's probably only a stop tho. Very nice. Thanks for the comparison.

ajay

Please excuse my ignorance here, but I keep hearing about the ability to crop/pan the sensor. I have not been able to figure out how to do this.

FYI...Transcend's 32GB, 1000x card works fine up to but not including 1920 x 1080. At 1920 x 1080, it does drop frames intermittently.

Thanks for any help.

AJ

seant89

So are MKii users restricted to resolutions below 1920 due to camera hardware or do we just need faster memory cards? Mine is a pathetic 266x 8GB PNY so I'm aware it's not ideal but I don't want to invest in a more expensive/faster memory card if it's the camera itself.

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Quick test with the 600D. I get files 1280x540, but with macroblocks magenta (from time to time), perhaps due to my card "super-slow".
Processing was nil in both sequence (H.264 and RAW).

Director

Mr. Alex

Can you make tutorial video.

How install RAW update in camera

because, I did't see link for download update

also I don't understand for commen txt.

Thanks

Vegandelight

Quote from: Director on May 14, 2013, 09:37:58 PM
Mr. Alex

Can you make tutorial video.

How install RAW update in camera

because, I did't see link for download update

also I don't understand for commen txt.

Thanks

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5405.0

DjJuvan

Holy crap Black Magic has more moire problems than RAW footage from 5dmk3

EDIT: Which CF cards does support 1080p without glitches/dropframes?

Has anyone tested this card? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compact-Flash-Card-64GB-1066x-Toshiba-the-world-fastest-Speed-CF-UDMA7-Ultra-/321106087953?pt=Digital_Camera_Memory_Cards&hash=item4ac36a1011 It has 150MB write speed.

silvertonesx24

Quote from: DjJuvan on May 14, 2013, 09:52:40 PM
Holy crap Black Magic has more moire problems than RAW footage from 5dmk3

EDIT: Which CF cards does support 1080p without glitches/dropframes?

I can get up to 1880x720 no problem on Mark II with KomputerBay 1000x CF. Any higher than that and I start to drop frames.

olik

Quote from: silvertonesx24 on May 14, 2013, 10:06:01 PM
I can get up to 1880x720 no problem on Mark II with KomputerBay 1000x CF. Any higher than that and I start to drop frames.

well I can record 1880x720 on my mk2 with 600x cards without problems, so this indicates that the bottle-neck is not the card. :-/

pavelpp

Wow, this is so great news! Anyone working on a 550d port? There are so many 550d owners who would appreciate raw recording mode.. Maybe there is some experimental build ?

Yoshiyuki Blade

Quote from: olik on May 14, 2013, 10:23:20 PM
well I can record 1880x720 on my mk2 with 600x cards without problems, so this indicates that the bottle-neck is not the card. :-/

Yeah, I think it depends on whether or not he had global draw on. Like a1ex mentioned earlier, the benchmarks will tell you the truth. Another user benched about 65 MB/s on his 5D2 with a 1000x card, so it should be able to handle at least a step higher than 720. Though it's not a huge improvement it's still an improvement!

Habitat

Quote from: ajay on May 14, 2013, 09:17:33 PM
Please excuse my ignorance here, but I keep hearing about the ability to crop/pan the sensor. I have not been able to figure out how to do this.

FYI...Transcend's 32GB, 1000x card works fine up to but not including 1920 x 1080. At 1920 x 1080, it does drop frames intermittently.

Thanks for any help.

AJ

Is this on the mark III? Cause I am expecting 2 of these tomorrow and that will be disappointing! Can you upload footage/benchmark for your tests with the Transcend 32gb 1000x?

Andy600

Sorry, this is slightly OT but Is my understanding of this correct?

The RAW files we are now getting are the exact same data that is usually processed in-camera by the H.264 encoder to make .mov files? or is the sensor sampled differently (i.e. whole sensor) somehow before it makes a H.264?

If that's correct, the H.264 encoder itself must be lightning fast and use a lot of processing power to convert in real time? Is it hardware or software?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

-sandro-

I wonder what Canon is thinking about this. Their crippling has been converted into a better version of the high end video cameras they want to protect! AHAHA!