uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squig

squig

Just one workflow suggestion though, when the DNGs go into a folder with the original RAW file you can't just "select all" when you import them into AE.

scrax

Quote from: squig on May 14, 2013, 11:18:13 AM
Just one workflow suggestion though, when the DNGs go into a folder with the original RAW file you can't just "select all" when you import them into AE.
so better make a dng subfolder in the raw folder?
we can use the time of conversion to have a unique name for the subfolder
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

squig

scrax

Quote from: squig on May 14, 2013, 11:22:55 AM
Yeah a subfolder would be great, thx
Updated the zip in the link, redownload it
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

g3gg0

STOP

All questions regarding RAW VIDEO POST PROCESSING on any OS
HERE: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5404.0

All questions regarding RAW_REC MODULE COMPILATION/INSTALLATION/USAGE
HERE: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5405.0

And this thread here should from now on just be used for video results, and open discussion.
NOT for any installation or processing help.

thanks.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

squig

bumkicho

Quote from: 1% on May 14, 2013, 05:33:53 AM
Its just set to stop recording at 4gb in the code.

Is this precautionary limit in the code? Will this be removed later?

zachnfine

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 14, 2013, 09:29:46 AM
still this is a *theory*, but i expect the consumption and the temperatures not to raise at all.
bitrate hack on 7D in contrast did both: massive CF access and H264 encoding, but noone who calls himself one that is "talking with canon engineers on a regular basis" cried about sensor temperature there :)

people who have no clue what is happening in the circuitry are telling us what can go wrong?
so yes, i call it bullshitting.

That'd be my guess, but speaking as someone who has no knowledge of how the sensor actually operates, I wonder if setting it to record to the live-view buffer at high resolutions may possibly heat the sensor more than is normal during recording (given that normal h264 recording is probably only using every third line of the sensor at some absurdly low res, or some such thing).

I figured I'd just pass long these reservations just to see how easily they can be knocked down by people who understand how the sensor and camera actually operate. I don't myself expect that heat will be an insurmountable problem for the sensor, and as I've said, I've cast my lot by buying a 1000x CF card.

squig

Quote from: bumkicho on May 14, 2013, 12:00:49 PM
It's no because?

For starters the HDMI spec is 8bit 422, this is 14bit RAW 4444. The ninja only does 442 too.

bryanfieldhouse

Quote from: squig on May 14, 2013, 12:07:15 PM
For starters the HDMI spec is 8bit 422, this is 14bit RAW 4444. The ninja only does 442 too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

"To ensure baseline compatibility between different HDMI sources and displays (as well as backward compatibility with the electrically compatible DVI standard) all HDMI devices must support the sRGB color space at 8 bits per component.[51] Support for the YCbCr color space and higher color depths ("deep color") is optional. HDMI permits sRGB 4:4:4 chroma subsampling (8–16 bits per component), xvYCC 4:4:4 chroma subsampling (8–16 bits per component), YCbCr 4:4:4 chroma subsampling (8–16 bits per component), or YCbCr 4:2:2 chroma subsampling (8–12 bits per component).[52][53] The color spaces that can be used by HDMI are ITU-R BT.601, ITU-R BT.709-5 and IEC 61966-2-4.[52]"

Atomos should send Ninja2's to each of the developers... :)

I'm crossing my fingers that it's eventually possible, as it would reduce the pain/expense of working with multiple cards..

Either way, this is all very exciting :-)

Lcrusher

No. HDMI only supports the transfer of debayered information. RAW is the data from the sensor that is not yet debayered. The process of debayering is CPU intensive.

g3gg0

the main problem is the fact that the HDMI hardware module does some colorspace transformation on its own.
we cannot simply send our data as we want it and we dont know much about the configuration of the HDMI controller.

we are aware of possibilities, but we are happy to present what we have right now. :)
but thanks for providing alternative theories :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

bryanfieldhouse

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 14, 2013, 12:54:20 PM
the main problem is the fact that the HDMI hardware module does some colorspace transformation on its own.
we cannot simply send our data as we want it and we dont know much about the configuration of the HDMI controller.

we are aware of possibilities, but we are happy to present what we have right now. :)
but thanks for providing alternative theories :)

Understood, however even 8bit 2.2.2 (with the added vertical resolution from the ML hack) would be better than the mushy video via HDMI at present..

I appreciate it's not just as simple as flicking a switch :) I just feel, given the input from someone knowledgeable in the HDMI controller possibilities could become realities :)

bryanfieldhouse

Quote from: Lcrusher on May 14, 2013, 01:07:12 PM
Take a look at this.

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Disk-on/p/sm/1056225379.htm

:)

That looks interesting (dimensionally too wide), plus the MKIII does not power up with the card flap open..

interesting times...

It would have to be some kind of port extension device that plugs into the compact flash socket on the MKIII and a cable (You'd have to drill a hole in the flap) that then plugs into the drive..

I'm sure it would be doable..

EDIT: Something like this could be modded to work...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/compact-flash-SATA-adapter-COMPLIANT/dp/B0039O6WK6

Redrocks

Quote from: Lcrusher on May 14, 2013, 01:07:12 PM
Take a look at this.

http://www.globalsources.com/gsol/I/Disk-on/p/sm/1056225379.htm

I was looking into this the other day.

http://www.waeplus.co.uk/item/186209/Socket-EA2917-722-Fast-Ethernet-Card---C

This particular model isn't fast enough and the card door will need tricking, plus you need another device to store the data... but it's another possible solution.

Lcrusher

That model doesn't meet the needs. But the concept still stands :)

zmelms

The announcement about RAW recording on the 5dMK3 intrigued me so much that I finally picked one up.  I've been on the fence about the camera as I'm NOT a fan of the DSLR video look and frankly it's a tool I usually avoid.  However the idea of such improved image quality made it interesting once again.  After today's experience the RAW functionality will be useful for specific shots while the remainder of a project could be captured using the standard video function.

Here's the video with the side by side comparison's that are imho more than convincing, even with limitations this makes DSLR film making and footage gathering more interesting than ever.

IMAGES PROCESSED on a PC using raw2dng.exe
then IMPORTED on A MAC to CS6 After Effects
Edited in Premiere on a MAC - it's time consuming but the results are beautiful

CAMERA SETTINGS: Technicolor CineStyle was enabled for all shooting, everything else was default.
POST: the h.264's are untouched, the RAW files were processed minimally to ensure the highlights/shadows weren't clipping for maximum dynamic range.

Stedda

Awesome work guys! It works great!

lourenco, thanks for sharing your compiled files. I tried for 3 days to compile my own but just cant get it to work.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

ch_d

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 14, 2013, 11:46:09 AM
STOP

And this thread here should from now on just be used for video results, and open discussion.
NOT for any installation or processing help.

thanks.

(watch HD fullscreen - or download it)

I am here on a 5DMII with the latest 5d2.doublebuffer on a SanDisk 60Mb/s (terrible, but waiting for a faster card ... there are framedrops - maybe because the slow card).
Just to show you folks how awesome the AA Filter worx.
Best show: Download the file!
The video is not sharpened (RAW settings to 0) just quick adjustments on the highlights and shadows.
I´ve transcoded the file with x264 10.000kBit/s (very slow).

Nice work guys! Keep´em coming!  8)
5D MII