uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaphotog

Quote from: Danne on May 14, 2013, 08:54:38 AM
I spelled it wrong, It,s leper :)
Well, It,s not a good thing ;)
well, if it means "fool that doesn't understand coding"... that's me!

Danne

You said you got the conversion to work by right clicking on your mac and choosing "open with" and opened the script. Did that work for you or not? When I tried everything was greyed out except for programs on my mac.

squig

Quote from: zachnfine on May 14, 2013, 08:35:57 AM
2. There are a bunch of indirect warnings from Canon engineers popping up in this twitter feed (note: Mr. Sutton is not a troll, and is undoubtedly trying to pass along what he deems useful info from the source, so please give him the benefit of the doubt):
https://twitter.com/mns1974/status/334132774132908032

Sounds like bullshit to me. What does the raw_rec have to do with the sensor? My knowledge is pretty limited in this area but my understanding is that this patch is just recording a data feed from the sensor that was always there, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

mcnys

so rebel line and 60d is limited to 21MBps, is it software limitation(canon firmware or something) or hardware limitation?

squig

Quote from: Danne on May 14, 2013, 09:14:59 AM
You said you got the conversion to work by right clicking on your mac and choosing "open with" and opened the script. Did that work for you or not? When I tried everything was greyed out except for programs on my mac.

I tried it on lion, it wasn't greyed out but didn't work. I installed 10.8 and it was greyed out  :'(

Danne

Quote from: squig on May 14, 2013, 09:18:39 AM
I tried it on lion, it wasn't greyed out but didn't work. I installed 10.8 and it was greyed out  :'(
Hi Squig. You actually installed another operative only to find out it was greyed out? Bummer :). Did anyone get the mac-conversion to work really? I have another question. I ran my 64gb kingston 600x card through eoscard and loaded lourencos compilation. Everything worked fine. Do I just format the card to erase magic lantern when I want to get back to original camera firmware?

scrax

Someone tried to compile on mac the raw2dng tool?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

g3gg0

Two questions:

1. I see a decent number of samples on the net of the new feature recorded using Technicolor Cinestyle. Is there a better S-log profile to use with 14-bit raw than Cinestyle, or is a style even necessary with raw? Isn't Cinestyle designed specifically to compress both the shadows and the highlights within the range of exposure that would otherwise be truncated by h264 compression -- and now that we're skipping h264 altogether we can take advantage of that extra space in which to record shadows and highlights? Cinestyle may be compressing the range more than necessary, it may be a waste to use it with raw.
there is *no* need for any style to apply in camera.
its the same like picture style for JPEGs - no need if you shoot raw.

2. There are a bunch of indirect warnings from Canon engineers popping up in this twitter feed (note: Mr. Sutton is not a troll, and is undoubtedly trying to pass along what he deems useful info from the source, so please give him the benefit of the doubt):
https://twitter.com/mns1974/status/334132774132908032
I'm skeptical, as I would expect that there'd be safety shutdown procedures in the firmware on the sensor that don't depend on the proper behavior of applications running on the camera's OS, but who knows. I guess we'll all know within a couple of weeks. I've ordered my 1000X 32Gb CF card, and will definitely be shooting some raw in the near future unless peoples' cameras start exploding.

Thanks so much A1ex and all Magic Lantern contributors. As if magic zoom wasn't enough!

this warning is fake. there is *no* impact on sensor power consumption and thus no impact on its temperature.
the only thing that could get warmer is DIGiC and the CF circuitry, but i am sure that the power dissipation that reaches the sensor
through all that plastic housing will not have any noticeable temperature raise.

detailed: when doing that much DMA transfers and CF writing, we may cause a bit more current drain (which causes squared power dissipation)
but we do not encode any H.264 while recording, so we also use less power in total.
its *possible* that the CF writing will consume less energy than the encoding with H.264, which will result in *less* power consumption.
raw is being produced by the DIGiC for every single frame anyway. we "just" save it away.

still this is a *theory*, but i expect the consumption and the temperatures not to raise at all.
bitrate hack on 7D in contrast did both: massive CF access and H264 encoding, but noone who calls himself one that is "talking with canon engineers on a regular basis" cried about sensor temperature there :)

people who have no clue what is happening in the circuitry are telling us what can go wrong?
so yes, i call it bullshitting.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

squig

Quote from: Danne on May 14, 2013, 09:25:42 AM
Hi Squig. You actually installed another operative only to find out it was greyed out? Bummer :). Did anyone get the mac-conversion to work really? I have another question. I ran my 64gb kingston 600x card through eoscard and loaded lourencos compilation. Everything worked fine. Do I just format the card to erase magic lantern when I want to get back to original camera firmware?

Yes, yes, and yes.

squig

Quote from: scrax on May 14, 2013, 09:28:00 AM
Someone tried to compile on mac the raw2dng tool?

They did but they didn't explain to us mere mortal non command line literate types how the fuc# to use it.  ::)

If anything the MKIII feels a bit cooler.

itux

Quote from: aaphotog on May 14, 2013, 08:34:41 AM
I wish it were this simple for mac users :sigh:

1. Download raw2dng for Mac from here:

Quote from: kidb on May 13, 2013, 11:12:09 PM
http://kidb.tv/.ml/

2. Put raw2dng into the same folder where your raw file is. (for example a folder called "raw" on your desktop)
3. Open Terminal.
4. Go to the folder (cd /Users/username/Desktop/raw)
5. Launch raw2dng (./raw2dng RAWFILE.RAW)

This will extract the file into the separate DNGs.

I hope this helps!

X-RAY

Very nice guys.
Now, I can be proud again on having a Canon-DSLR ... but those words surely aren't ment for the canon engineers but for you fellows. :-)
www.frankenfotograf.com
instagram.com/frankenfotograf

Danne

Quote from: itux on May 14, 2013, 09:43:59 AM

2. Put raw2dng into the same folder where your raw file is. (for example a folder called "raw" on your desktop)
3. Open Terminal.

I hope this helps!

Hi! WHen I follow your steps this is what happens in the terminal. I have the script and raw in the same folder. Something about Illegal instruction??

"Last login: Tue May 14 10:17:19 on ttys000
itgusers-MacBook-241:~ itguser$ /Users/itguser/Desktop/raw/raw2dng ; exit;
Illegal instruction
logout

[Processen slutförd]"

scrax

I've no raw files to test it, here a maybe more easy to use app for mac: https://bitbucket.org/600dplus/magic-lantern-things/downloads/raw2dng.app.zip

drag your raw file on the MLicon and it should start conversion

EDIT: removed link until not fixedfixed now dng saved in same folder of raw file
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

scrax

Quote from: Danne on May 14, 2013, 09:52:43 AM
Hi! WHen I follow your steps this is what happens in the terminal. I have the script and raw in the same folder. Something about Illegal instruction??

"Last login: Tue May 14 10:17:19 on ttys000
itgusers-MacBook-241:~ itguser$ /Users/itguser/Desktop/raw/raw2dng ; exit;
Illegal instruction
logout

[Processen slutförd]"

you are missing the point

Danne

Quote from: scrax on May 14, 2013, 09:56:21 AM
I've no raw files to test it, here a maybe more easy to use app for mac: https://bitbucket.org/600dplus/magic-lantern-things/downloads/raw2dng.app.zip

CLose but noe cegar. I did the drag and dropbut this pops up "Error: /Users/itguser/Desktop/Ny". Maybe because I,m on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and not MLion?

aaphotog

Quote from: Danne on May 14, 2013, 09:14:59 AM
It did work. But I lucked up on it. I had installed a bunch of programs and downloaded all types of different raw2dng exe's and some without exe extenstion. When my procedure worked for me, I deleted the software I downloaded thinking that it was as simple as I made it seem... now, it doesn't work when doing that :-(

scrax

Danne

aaphotog

Quote from: itux on May 14, 2013, 09:43:59 AM

3. Open Terminal.

I hope this helps!
I just KNEW that was going to work. Everything was fine until step 5. When I tried to launch raw2dng, it said
"-bash: ./raw2dng: Permission denied"

aaphotog

Quote from: scrax on May 14, 2013, 09:56:21 AM

OOOOHHHHHHHHHH SHIT!
It WORKED!!!!!!
THANKS!
Thanks to the devs, thanks to you scrax, and thanks to the others patient enough to continuously trying to help me. It's truly appreciated

scrax

Probably the .app is saving the dng inside the .app package itself. Someone can confirm me that? To check that right click; select Show package contents and go to the Resources folder

I will fix it but someone can tell me where the dng are saved now? in the same folder of the .rawfile or it the Resources folder in the package (.app)

aaphotog

Quote from: aaphotog on May 14, 2013, 10:10:46 AM
OOOOHHHHHHHHHH SHIT!
It WORKED!!!!!!
THANKS!
Thanks to the devs, thanks to you scrax, and thanks to the others patient enough to continuously trying to help me. It's truly appreciated

Damn! it didn't work. It looked like it was working, but when it was all said and done, there were no DNG's created in the folder.
I think theres something wrong with MY specific computer. or am I really messing this up royally

scrax

Quote from: aaphotog on May 14, 2013, 10:15:40 AM
...there were no DNG's created in the folder.
which folder?

EDIT: removed download link until not fixed the .app