uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

Quote from: lourenco on May 13, 2013, 04:46:10 AM
Full 1080P test at 24fps.

can you post the exact make/name/model of your CF card in the other thread?
perhaps with a photo of the card?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

itsskin

Thx lourenco for posting compiled firmware, I was able to do quick test today in 1920x1080 with Lexar x1000.

In the middle of testing my battery died while NOT recording. This damaged the file system and I lost half of the files on the card. It just started displaying "no space left".

Otherwise it's amazing.

Steven

I was now able to record 1920x720 to my 32GB Sandisk 60mb/s card until the file size reached 4GB then the recording stopped.
~1min +08sec @25fps

mageye

It's very good too see example videos appearing on here. What I am thinking is that it would be nice to see the original compiled videos (as in before YouTube without the YouTube compression ;)).

Maybe someone (or people) could use a file hosting place like mega (https://mega.co.nz/)  to host the files and link them here?

I would especially like to see what 5DMKII as capable of here.

I congratulate the good work and am willing to test on 600x (Duracell) CF card on the 5DMKII if someone could provide me with a build(?)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

kgv5

For a 6D with RAW_rec module enabled maximum width res is 1840. I have noticed, than when i press magnification button instead of 5x and 10x it is 1x, 5x, 10x.
1x doesn't change the picture in LV but somehow changes max resolution to 1740. It is good because 1740x720 gives exactly 2,35:1 aspect ratio and to match with 1920x817 it needs 111% scaling. Unfortunatelly all frames are totally corrupted every time. Could you guys take a look at this?

I have also another problem -  i have to reboot every time because raw_rec just don't want to work more than once.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

lourenco

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 13, 2013, 01:32:13 PM
can you post the exact make/name/model of your CF card in the other thread?
perhaps with a photo of the card?
I think it is the same card as yours? Lexar CF 1000X 32GB.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

lourenco

This is with more highlight and shadow recovery.

a1ex

ted ramasola

I'm wondering why there is one or two exposure changes when the car pulls out? This was not done full manual? Or there is a setting on auto?

edit- I see the background trees sharpen a bit when exposure changes so I assume IRIS was on auto?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

g3gg0

Quote from: a1ex on May 13, 2013, 02:10:45 PM
So, HDR video is obsolete now? :P

no! so we can make UHDR videos where the sun spots and the dark side of the moon are perfectly exposed in one image... ;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

lourenco

QuoteI'm wondering why there is one or two exposure changes when the car pulls out? This was not done full manual? Or there is a setting on auto?

I am editing the dng files in lightroom.  I am manually changing the exposure in post. The camera exposure setting F stop, shuttor speed, and ISO never changed.

Quoteedit- I see the background trees sharpen a bit when exposure changes so I assume IRIS was on auto?
The focus distance on the lense was changing when the Mustang was reversing. Given one person operating the camera and other person driving the Mustang.

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

exflyer

ch_d

just waiting here for the 5DMII files to test the new features. awesome work guys.
1000x cards are ordered.
5D MII

HugoFilipe

Is there any chance of getting this compiled on an autoexec file uploaded to here? (for 5DIII)
I don't really know how to compile myself, you'd really appreciate if someone could post it here.

Thank you in advance

Kuky

Hi,

Thank to the replies from previous posters I managed to make the lourenco posted firmware to load.
I loaded the raw module.
When I got to the movie raw screen it didn't let me set width/height and there was a message about "write speed needed".

So I went into the write benchmark but I have the following problem: the benhmark doesn't seem to end, it stays forever on this screen:

If I press some keys it will revert back to ml menus, but it doesn't seem to retain the becnhamrk speeds.

Thank you,
Cristian

bart

Wow amazing work guys! Well done!

In my opinion the video quality was the key short coming of the Canon DSLRs and now that limitation is totally gone. Magic Lantern is an amazing product, but in the end it's the video result that counts. I use a GH2 at times for its nice video quality but I miss so many ML features. Raw video puts 5D3 back on the map and a model to be desired. This would indeed make HDR video obsolete now and opens up so much more possibilities. And now the L and Cinema glass will finally show their full potential.

Greetings and good luck to you all

Rush

QuoteWhen I got to the movie raw screen it didn't let me set width/height and there was a message about "write speed needed".
You should be in LiveView Video mode.

I'd tested 1%'s build for 600D and seems like camera's maximum is 1320х360 or 960х480 in 24p continuous without frame skipping.
Greetings from Russia!

Okello

And the inevitable has happened.

One Love to the ML Team!

Andy600

Quote from: Rush on May 13, 2013, 02:52:09 PM
You should be in LiveView Video mode.

I'd tested 1%'s build for 600D and seems like camera's maximum is 1320х360 or 960х480 in 24p continuous without frame skipping.

What card did you use on the 600d?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Kuky

Mkay, so now I can make it begin recording but didn't figure out how to make it stop. Anyway, everytime I record after a awhile I end up with an Err 70 and camera it's blocked. I have to take out the battery to make it work again. A little bit nerve wracking.

Anyway I observed with lourenco firmware that when loading it says something about "scripts dir missing". Maybe it has to do with benchmark never finishing?

saad

Here is my comparison test of "image detail quality" on the 5D Mk III with and without ML then against the GH3:

Please notice that this was a fast test and if you find something wrong or unfair do let me know to fix it asap. :)

lourenco

I will share a newer compiled version soon for the 5D3.

cschmeer

When I saw that there was a "digital dolly" feature that pans across the image as you're recording, it made me think – the 5D Mark III has a built-in accelerometer, which is used to display whether the camera is "level". However, if one were to somehow use that accelerometer and programme the movement of the recording window to compensate camera movement, could this lead to an in-camera stabilising feature? I know this seems crazy - just a thought :)

1%

Yep tried the pan.. its alright. Would be cool for high res time lapse and soft dolly. I was thinking about it the night before and then the next morning it was in the repo. Pretty neat.