uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

lourenco

Quote from: a1ex on May 12, 2013, 03:34:49 PM
1920x1080 RAW video now requires 83MB/s at 24fps, so it should work just fine on 1000x cards. I didn't try it.

It works! This with my Lexar CF 1000X 32GB.
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

squig

I just pulled the trigger on a Toshiba 1066x card, by the time it arrives I imagine the MK3 will be 4k ready :D How's the thermometer looking with continuous recording?

lourenco

Quote from: squig on May 12, 2013, 04:50:21 AM
So is 1280x720 60p RAW now doable too? Or 48p?

Raw mode 1280x672 at 48P is possible. 
5D Mark III, CF Lexar 1000X 32GB, 24-105 F4L

noisyboy

1%

I've not experienced any overheating on either camera.

Trying 6D now. Shit have to recover my pics before I do it...

600D 1280x698 is perfect, no cuts and no more screwed up images. Records over 50 frames... somewhat like 6D did in the beginning with raw burst.

-sandro-

You were able to use this on the 600D?

How can I try it? :P

Nevermind: I didn't know there was a build for the 600D

1%

When it stops properly I'll put up a bin. Right now its annoying, stuff is f'd after recording is finished. When you open the SD slot the light stays lit.

6D will probably get a bin today.

imperatormher

from where i can download the software or firmware for RAW Video at 24FPS? can you send me link?
my e-mail: [email protected]

g3gg0

thanks alex for making a clean implementation and thanks to 1% and nanomad for porting to other models.
its obvious that our team is very powerful :)

i am sure the fact that ML can provide true 1080 raw video will cause a lot of new users, questions and articles.
we should prepare a news article with some demo video.

so if some users want to provide some cool comparison videos and photos, this would be awesome.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

tferradans

I'm willing to help.

Took a while to learn how to compile this thing, but finally did it. The problem is... where do I find/enable/start RAW recording, in the menus?

(really stupid, I know, but I couldn't find anything anywhere! hahah)

1%

6D won't do 32MB blocks either. Have to try 16. 600D did 24 or 16, dunno which one is better.

RenatoPhoto

Would love to try this stuff but I am hung up of compiling with cygwin under windows here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5324.25

If it is not possible then should I download the vm machine?  Would that be only other option?
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Andy600

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 12, 2013, 07:10:19 PM
thanks alex for making a clean implementation and thanks to 1% and nanomad for porting to other models.

i am sure the fact that ML can provide true 1080 raw video will cause a lot of new users, questions and articles.

so if some users want to provide some cool comparison videos and photos, this would be awesome.

Luke Neumann is on it https://www.facebook.com/NeumannFilms/posts/474872712583502

Yourself, A1ex, Nomad and of course 1% deserve more than just credit! Do you actually realize what you have achieved?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Well I dunno how much this will do 24fps on SD cameras. Still needs testing for r/w.. I have it alllocating 30MB chunks now. The 600D issues are is from PopEdmac.. I just tried a few on 600D. 6D original was right, others caused 600D issue.

Also... formatting the card for bigger sizes... ie 32mb or 8mb or whatever blocks... I wonder if that is going to help.

tferradans

Just to be sure I'm following what's going on here: you guys can define a partial crop of the sensor and save it RAW? This could be perfect for anamorphic shooters, just using a square portion in the middle. Possible?

anyway, I'm still trying to compile it, test and post results soon. :P

1%

600D issue appears fixed... going into 640P gives me the whole 20MB/s write... 31MB allocation is the best according to card test. Just checking to see if the videos all sized right.

600D is up.. check some of the sizes. the 1080 with is fucked. 1740 = bent, 1738 = half gone.. 1280 is perfect, smaller may work too, check it out. LV_REC not so good in HD for some reason.

600D:

a1ex

you guys can define a partial crop of the sensor and save it RAW? This could be perfect for anamorphic shooters, just using a square portion in the middle. Possible?

Yes, you can select any combination from here:

static int resolution_presets_x[] = {  640,  720,  960,  1280,  1320,  1920,  2048,  2560,  2880,  3592 };
static int resolution_presets_y[] = {  320,  360,  480,  540,  720,  840,  960,  1080,  1152,  1280,  1320 };

or add your own custom resolutions (just put the numbers there).

The high resolutions only work in 5x zoom mode, where you get 1:1 crop from the sensor.

Right now, ML will do a center crop, but I'd like to try to implement a smooth digital panning (sort of a software dolly). Shifting the crop window by 8 pixels at every frame should be easy, and that would result in a 8-second horizontal panning of the 1920x1080 window from sensor center to the edge: (3592-1920) / 8 / 24fps = 8.7 seconds.

noisyboy

Quote from: g3gg0 on May 12, 2013, 07:10:19 PM

Send me some footage dude and I'll get my nerd on in Resolve :) Would love to have a play and if it means helping make something look pretty I'm totally game!

1%

Wait a little bit and he won't have to send you any footage :)

The 2K width works on 600D in zoom... better than 1080P (which still f'd).

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on May 12, 2013, 10:19:38 PM
Wait a little bit and he won't have to send you any footage :)

The 2K width works on 600D in zoom... better than 1080P (which still f'd).

Wowzer! Didn't realise you were THAT close dude. Does than mean I might be glued to my 6D for the next few days? Damn... My girlfriend is gonna hate you guys.  8)

CFP

Damn! You are really awesome! Honestly, you made Magic Lantern by far the best thing that one can download from the internet!

I mean it, THANKS! 

I'm still very excited and even if the EOS 600D won't be able to handle continuous shooting it's still stunning to see what some of these tiny DSLR can do.

(And it's sad that Canon does not implement these cool things like RAW video from the beginning although it would be possible :( )

I also would like to help you a little bit with the comparison videos. I'll see what I can do ...

And I know that's the wrong thread, but do you plan to create a new matrix mode for the silent pictures? So that one can get RAW silent pictures with really high resolutions? That would be fantastic for time lapses.

greetings from Germany :)

Andy600

Has anyone managed to compile the raw2dng convertor in windows? I'm VERY rusty. The last time I compiled anything was 20+ years ago
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

a1ex

Yes, just uploaded it: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/raw2dng.exe

Also got the panning mode working (just a proof of concept, no GUI). Try it in x5 zoom for best results (though you can't see what you are framing).

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/4eb02c2a4082

Andy600

Quote from: a1ex on May 12, 2013, 11:00:59 PM
Yes, just uploaded it: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/raw2dng.exe

Also got the panning mode working (just a proof of concept, no GUI). Try it in x5 zoom for best results (though you can't see what you are framing).

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/4eb02c2a4082

A1ex = Legend! Thankyou :)