uncompressed 14-bit RAW video recording

Started by g3gg0, April 27, 2013, 12:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moomilk

Quote from: skotopes on May 28, 2013, 03:19:27 PM
Transcend 1000x 32 Gb card on my 5DmkII

Can this be right? Transcend should be capable of around 100Mb/s? Has the card been through low level format using the Transcend format programm? I heard it may rise the write speed.

Shield

Quote from: Mei Lewis on May 28, 2013, 05:57:21 PM
Sync the series in Camera Raw - which is a separate program from Photoshop but comes bundled with it.

I've been using sidecar files with .CR2, not tried with DNG yet. Reading Adobe's site it works slightly differently for DNG. http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS638E3AC9-A04C-4445-A0D3-F7D8BA5CDE37.html seems to say it should work the same, but with the metadata written into the DNG files rather than as sidecar files.
I think it's a problem with the Adobe raw 2012 camera process itself, not Lightroom per se.  See this thread here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5710.0

I mean one should be able to grade the first file in Lightroom and then "sync" it without any changes from file to file, right?

Yoshiyuki Blade

Quote from: moomilk on May 28, 2013, 06:06:29 PM
Can this be right? Transcend should be capable of around 100Mb/s? Has the card been through low level format using the Transcend format programm? I heard it may rise the write speed.

Though the 5D2 can't reach those numbers, this benchmark is still lower than what it's capable of. The highest values I've seen so far were in the high 60s, almost 70 MB/s. Heck, with this new build, my 600x Sandisk card can record at a stable 59.5+ MB/s. Even though it's just below the speed required, I can finally do 1880x800 continuously at least until my 16GB card fills up (love the huge buffer we have :) )

moomilk

Quote from: Yoshiyuki Blade on May 28, 2013, 06:31:17 PM
Though the 5D2 can't reach those numbers, this benchmark is still lower than what it's capable of. The highest values I've seen so far were in the high 60s, almost 70 MB/s. Heck, with this new build, my 600x Sandisk card can record at a stable 59.5+ MB/s. Even though it's just below the speed required, I can finally do 1880x800 continuously at least until my 16GB card fills up (love the huge buffer we have :) )

Hm, I was not entirely following the 5D markII thread, what exactly is causing the write speed drop while using LV?

Just thought if LV mode is limiting the write speeds, maybe it will be also worth making a RAW video mode not involving the LV at all, for videos with static camera position that could mean a higher res possibilities.

Yoshiyuki Blade

Quote from: moomilk on May 28, 2013, 08:30:01 PM
Hm, I was not entirely following the 5D markII thread, what exactly is causing the write speed drop while using LV?

Just thought if LV mode is limiting the write speeds, maybe it will be also worth making a RAW video mode not involving the LV at all, for videos with static camera position that could mean a higher res possibilities.

I think a1ex implemented that at one point, but I don't think it made a difference in the end. No clue what's limiting the 5D2, maybe it's just the hardware limit, but we have been seeing gradual increases throughout the weeks. I've gained about +4-6 MB/s of write speed compared to when I first started playing with this, with the same card.

Danne

It,s implemented as a frozen image on the live view window and it helps a little.

jasondhines

https://vimeo.com/67139126

Please download the original, looks really sharp!

May 22nd build seems to be working really well for me. No vertical lines showing up and using ISO multiples of 100 seems to help make for a clean image. Using a 128GB 1000x Komputerbay card that benchmarked around 75MB/s to record 1920 x 900. Exported with a 2.39 aspect ratio at 1920 x 800. Looking forward to future developments and a completely rock-solid release.

Ordered a 128GB 1000x Transcend CF card to test. Hopefully it's faster than my Komputerbay. 

nos

hi all, this forum is realy crazy!  ;)

a short "piano" in low light situation (iso 400) recorded with Build 130522 at 1280x720 with komputerbay 32gb 1000x

on 1920x1080 it drops frames after 3 seconds  ??? ....i have to test the cardspeed tomorrow

thank you very much magic lantern team!

Update: the video was scaled up to 1080p before uploading to youtube.

agora1

Hi, why for example in Photoshop they indicates only 8 bits
I know is 8,16,32 bits per channel so which software can tell us a
project is a 14 bits raw

romeus

Hi guys I want to know if we can shoot for 10/15 minutes in a single take (like shooting an interview) in 1440 X 720  25p on Lexar 128 1000x?
Is the 5D Mark III can records audio when it shoot raw ? I did a search in the forum but I'm little bit confused :-\
is there any video tutorial to explain that

Shield

Quote from: romeus on May 29, 2013, 03:35:21 AM
Hi guys I want to know if we can shoot for 10/15 minutes in a single take (like shooting an interview) in 1440 X 720  25p on Lexar 128 1000x?
Is the 5D Mark III can records audio when it shoot raw ? I did a search in the forum but I'm little bit confused :-\

Do you have a 5d3 and a Lexar 128 1000x card?  If so, fire them up and test it out.  You get slightly over 6 minutes per 32GB, so if that card is fast enough you should be good.  I personally wouldn't dream of recording anything super crucial while this software is being developed every day. :)

Danne

Quote from: romeus on May 29, 2013, 03:35:21 AM
Actually, I have a silicon power 64gb 6000x card and I can go even a bit higher than that, around 1720 x 732 I believe. I think it,s 24p though but you should be fine I think. I can record audio and I have put my magic lantern firmware on a SD card(which is very slow, doesn,t matter) so the camera boots magic lantern from the sd-card while records to the CF-card. It does indeed record the audio to the SD-card but I can,t seem to sync the audio clips. I,m not sure what is going on when the audio gets recorded separately but it,s not reliable. SImply use an external recorder.

update* I read that someone stated that the audiofiles are working fine now with the may 28th build :). Havn,t tried it but that would be awesome :)

"With new build 28th(8ba641e), enabling the separate audio wave, there is no issues anymore.
Thanks as ever guys"

//D

ted ramasola

Quote from: Danne on May 29, 2013, 09:29:02 AM
Actually, I have a silicon power 64gb 6000x card and I can go even a bit higher than that, around 1720 x 732 I believe. I think it,s 24p though but you should be fine I think. I can record audio and I have put my magic lantern firmware on a SD card(which is very slow, doesn,t matter) so the camera boots magic lantern from the sd-card while records to the CF-card. It does indeed record the audio to the SD-card but I can,t seem to sync the audio clips. I,m not sure what is going on when the audio gets recorded separately but it,s not reliable. SImply use an external recorder.
//D

I think you mean 600X not 6000X  ;)
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Danne

dubzeebass

Hi folks,

Is anyone experiencing freezing when the HaCKeD mode is on?  The buttons still work but Liveview shows a frozen image, even with GD off.  Is this on purpose?

Before the lovely thread Nazis jump down my throat about SEARCH TEH THREAD1!!!!!! ... I recommend searching a thread about a hacked camera for the word hacked yourself :P

-B

Stedda

Quote from: dubzeebass on May 29, 2013, 02:07:39 PM
Hi folks,

Is anyone experiencing freezing when the HaCKeD mode is on?  The buttons still work but Liveview shows a frozen image, even with GD off.  Is this on purpose?

Before the lovely thread Nazis jump down my throat about SEARCH TEH THREAD1!!!!!! ... I recommend searching a thread about a hacked camera for the word hacked yourself :P

-B

This has been explained several times already... the freezing is how you're getting a few more MB/s it's not a bug.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: dubzeebass on May 29, 2013, 02:07:39 PM
Hi folks,

-B

If you Search for Hack3D you will find this thread:

Hack3D - Speed Improvements for RAW Recording
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5519.msg37539#msg37539

You got it.  Be Warned
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

swinxx

Hello ml team!

We all know that when shooting raw and globaldraw is turned on, performance is suffering, but the info from raw histo is great for adjusting exposure (ettr hints ;))

So wouldnt it be possible to add a feature to turn globaldraw automatically of when starting to record?

That would be a great feature!

What i also noticed is, that anamorphic correction only works when globaldraw is set to pn, so i wonder if this menu shouldnt be moved to the globaldraw menu page,

Thx greets swinxx

romeus

Quote from: Shield on May 29, 2013, 08:06:33 AM
Do you have a 5d3 and a Lexar 128 1000x card?  If so, fire them up and test it out.  You get slightly over 6 minutes per 32GB, so if that card is fast enough you should be good.  I personally wouldn't dream of recording anything super crucial while this software is being developed every day. :)

I don't have 5DmIII but I'ill get one next month for a summer project . I will Shot RAW  50% of the project :)
Are you sure that you'll get 6 minutes in 32GB card O_o I think you are wrong I did the math and it's like 11 minute for this resolution (without audio)

Actually, I have a silicon power 64gb 6000x card and I can go even a bit higher than that, around 1720 x 732 I believe. I think it,s 24p though but you should be fine I think.

Actually It's not a big problem to me to shot 1440x 720, I want to shoot on this resolution to save space in the cards and to get 40 minutes per card

1440*720*25*14/8 = 45.4 M/s 5
am I wrong ?

I'm just wondering if I can get a continious recording for  15 minutes on lexar 128 1000x without having problem like dropping frames

I can record audio and I have put my magic lantern firmware on a SD card(which is very slow, doesn,t matter) so the camera boots magic lantern from the sd-card while records to the CF-card.

why you don't just put your ML in the CF card ?

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: swinxx on May 29, 2013, 03:28:14 PM
Hello ml team!

We all know that when shooting raw and globaldraw is turned on, performance is suffering, but the info from raw histo is great for adjusting exposure (ettr hints ;))

So wouldnt it be possible to add a feature to turn globaldraw automatically of when starting to record?

That would be a great feature!

What i also noticed is, that anamorphic correction only works when globaldraw is set to pn, so i wonder if this menu shouldnt be moved to the globaldraw menu page,

Thx greets swinxx

This is a Feature Request please re post on Feature Request:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=24.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Shield

Quote from: romeus on May 29, 2013, 04:24:33 PM
I don't have 5DmIII but I'ill get one next month for a summer project . I will Shot RAW  50% of the project :)
Are you sure that you'll get 6 minutes in 32GB card O_o I think you are wrong I did the math and it's like 11 minute for this resolution (without audio)

You might be right; I only shoot in 1920x1080, and it's a tad over 6 minutes per 32GB.

dubzeebass

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on May 29, 2013, 02:33:18 PM
If you Search for Hack3D you will find this thread:

Hack3D - Speed Improvements for RAW Recording
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5519.msg37539#msg37539

You got it.  Be Warned

The menu specifically says HaCKeD mode which I asked about, but apparently I'm supposed to know it's Hack3D?

dubzeebass

Quote from: romeus on May 29, 2013, 04:24:33 PM
why you don't just put your ML in the CF card ?

Most of the "This is how to do it" step-by-steps involve putting ML on the SD.  Six of one, half a dozen of another I guess!

Yomommassis

My friends and colleagues keep talking down the RAW video feature to the point where I haven't been too interested in testing it out myself
"Too impractical..Ridiculous file sizes..work flow is too long..not stable..get a real job..."

After shooting a few tests I think they should all go suck a lemon, the play room with these files is totally awesome
Definitely going to try more of this!

EOS 5D MkIII (ML alpha 3)| EOS 5D MkII (ML v2.3) | EOS 7D (ML alpha 2) | EOS T2i (ML v2.3)
f/2.8 70-200MM L USM | f/1.4 50mm USM | f/1.4 35mm L USM | T/1.5 24mm
Zoom H4n | Rode NTG2

squig

LOL. Yeah well some people lead, the rest struggle to keep up.