14bit RAW DNG silent pics! (silent.mo)

Started by Francis, April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

If you see them, you need the correction. If not, you don't.

I don't see any on this particular image, but others (from the same camera) may need it.

garry23

Marekk

I also looked at the file and, other than post-process lens vignetting correction, it looks fine.

Cheers

Garry

dubzeebass

Quote from: a1ex on June 24, 2014, 09:30:00 PM
If you see them, you need the correction. If not, you don't.

Hahahahahahahhaha dying

barepixels

A1ex wrote

The easiest workaround would be to convert the DNG to RAW (compile dng2raw.c), and then back to DNG with raw2dng.

(of course, you only need to do this if you actually get the artifact)

===================================

I look and look but cant figured how to convert DNG to RAW.  Help, I want to fix those DNG that looks corupted.

5D2 + nightly ML

barepixels

can someone please show me where i can download  dng2raw.exe   

thnx

canon 5D2  magiclantern-Nightly.2014May13.5D2212
5D2 + nightly ML

a1ex

Where exactly? I'm not aware of any binaries for this tool.

garry23

Marekk

Just checking as I downloaded the latest 5DIII nightly and I see that the silent DNG fix you submitted hasn't been included yet.

I'm afraid I'm ignorant of the process to get changes made.

Do you know when your fix is likely to apper?

Cheers

a1ex

Here you go: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-request/524/silent-pics-enable-exif-info-in-dng/diff#comment-2221983

I'm not sure if Marekk is going to implement the last change I've asked for (people started arguing about other stuff), so others with coding skills are welcome to give it a try.

garry23

Marekk

Thanks for the link and the module.

I will try it out in timelapse mode this weekend and give feedback.

BTW I still would like some kind sole to put the EXIF write code in the silent dng module :-)

Cheers

dxotic

I heartily agree. exif data would be immense in silent DNG as it would mean longer durations in exposure therefore more flexibility. But thanks goes to the team for an awesome addition to the tools  :D

babarasghar

this thread is silent for a very long time
i just tried silent pictures n compared them with raw
i find the shadow recovery suffers greatly in DNG files
the dynamic range is also very bad
am i doing something wrong here?

dmilligan

Post a silent DNG and regular CR2 that use the same exposure settings and are of the same scene. Also make sure you have expo override enabled or are in manual movie mode when taking silent pics, the LV picture might be "simulated" if you are not.

Also please include basic info like camera and ML build date, and all of the settings you are using.

florinfl

Hi,
Is there a way in nightly builds to take full res pictures in 600d? I'm not sure but it seems that in 550d is already implemented. I was already told that it is in development, I just want to be sure that I don't miss something. Or maybe is already implemented in one form or another in earlier version of nightly bulds. All I cand do now is to make videos at low fps but of course at low res too. Maybe is there an unofficial build that has implemented already?
Thanks

dmilligan

You can already take raw silent pictures with the current nightly builds, but they are not full resolution (that is what this thread is about), they are video (LV) resolution. The full resolution silent pictures are not available (and haven't ever been previously) in the nightly builds because this functionality is not very stable and has lots of quirks. If you want to use it now, you need to compile ML yourself. Some people have posted unofficial builds that include this functionality, but I do not recommend using them (because IMO, if compiling ML is beyond your skill level, you probably shouldn't be using untested, experimental, and potentially dangerous code like this).

florinfl

Thank you for your advice, indeed I would be tempted to try what other tried and succeded (on their risk) but I'll wait for future updates, maybe at some point full resolution silent pictures will be part of the nightly builds.

babarasghar

Quote from: dmilligan on November 09, 2014, 03:27:30 PM
Post a silent DNG and regular CR2 that use the same exposure settings and are of the same scene. Also make sure you have expo override enabled or are in manual movie mode when taking silent pics, the LV picture might be "simulated" if you are not.

Also please include basic info like camera and ML build date, and all of the settings you are using.

@dmilligan here is the link of DNG, CR2 and JPEG
i tried same thing on 6D and same issues, DNG is not even 1080p :(
DNG File: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106218119/98910000.DNG
JPG File: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106218119/IMG_9890.JPG
CR2 File: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106218119/IMG_9891.CR2
Camera settings

Magic lantern version is latest nightly build available

Audionut

You should provide an CR2 direct from the camera in large raw.

babarasghar

Check the links bro!!! Can u open these links?
One of them is cr2 :)

Audionut

Some low resolution CR2 that's had the optical black areas removed.

Quote from: Audionut on November 20, 2014, 03:37:19 AM
You should provide an CR2 direct from the camera in large raw.

dmilligan

The silent DNG appears to have more noise than the small CR2 (but without you supplying a full size CR2, there's no OB areas to get an exact amount). This makes sense. The silent DNG came from video mode where resolution is reduced by line skipping, while the small CR2 likely benefited from proper downsampling (when downsampling resolution, neighboring pixels sort of get merged together in a sense, which has the effect of reducing noise, in other words there is a trade off between noise and resolution that we are taking advantage of).

There are additional reasons silent DNGs would have more noise: the sensor is in a different mode where it is continuously read out, this causes the sensor to heat up and the heat increases noise (there may also be other effects on noise from this mode besides just heat, IDK).

If you want a more fair comparison, use crop mode for the silent DNG, and compare it to a full size CR2.

You can compare the noise yourself in camera using raw_diag (from here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=10111.0).

If you need to capture more DR then: ETTR properly, use dual ISO (should work with silent pics, but you might have to be in movie mode), and/or consider actually using your shutter.

babarasghar

The why we r even calling it a 14bit dng when it don't even have as much dynamic range as much even a jpeg!
:(

walter_schulz

You're mixing things up. Dynamic range and bit depth are different terms.

dmilligan

1. They are called that because that's what they are.

2. You haven't offered any definitive proof that they have less DR than a JPEG

3. DR is not necessarily related to bit depth or compression => I can capture 20 EVs of DR with a large bracket, process and tone it, and output the result into a JPEG that has 20 EVs of DR.

4. DR isn't the only important thing.