14bit RAW DNG silent pics! (silent.mo)

Started by Francis, April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

babarasghar

Can't u guys open the links I have attached?
What other proof u need?
Why don't u tell me how should I take pictures n then post so that you see them and then give a verdict.

Walter Schulz

astro2012

Hello! share please the working module for canon 600d. I want to do full-res pictures with exposure to 10 seconds. I will be very grateful!

dmilligan

That feature still has some issues and is not ready for "prime time". You also need more than just the module, there are some requisite changes to the ML core. You can compile it yourself if you like, otherwise you need to wait until devs have time to fix the issues and merge it into the nightly builds.

astro2012

babarasghar

So do we have better dynamic range dng now from this?

Walter Schulz

It has nothing to do with better DR. ML has a silent pic function right now but output is cropped/LV resolution. Full Resolution Silent Pic (FRSP) is able to use all the sensor's pixels.

babarasghar

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 08, 2015, 07:50:08 PM
It has nothing to do with better DR. ML has a silent pic function right now but output is cropped/LV resolution. Full Resolution Silent Pic (FRSP) is able to use all the sensor's pixels.

yes i just tried Silent pictures option and max resolution i am getting is 1824x1224 on 6d (thats what it shows on screen in live view)
so how to enable FRSP on 6D, im using 29 Jan 2015 Nightly build

Walter Schulz

babarasghar

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 08, 2015, 08:02:48 PM
Read reply #503

okay here are files, difference of resolution and one can further see in light room how less details one can extract from shadows (isnt it dynamic range) i think at the moment the info is gathered from live view (movie mode) n this is max info a DNG of silent pic can retain. For comparison i have uploaded full resolution CR2 n Silent pic DNG.

Silent Pic DNG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzwtt1u9itlx729/Ipad%20SIlent%20pic.DNG?dl=0

Normal CD2: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u69rfn51u61j13x/Ipad%20CR2.CR2?dl=0

Walter Schulz

Both loaded in Photoshop. White balance adjusted and exposure +2 EV.
Which problem do you have here?

babarasghar

Recovering shadows not exposure boost over all
Try to lower highlights to -100 n boost shadows to +100 u will see which has better recovery

CR2

Silent pic

Walter Schulz

And here we are running in circles: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5240.msg134066#msg134066
When you talk about DR you are actually referring to SNR (signal to noise ratio).
As dmilligan pointed out you have no proof of less DR delivered but shown what he admitted: Binning Skipping is diminishing image quality. If you want to compare DR you have to use silent pic in crop mode.

babarasghar

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 08, 2015, 10:29:56 PM
And here we are running in circles: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5240.msg134066#msg134066
When you talk about DR you are actually referring to SNR (signal to noise ratio).
As dmilligan pointed out you have no proof of less DR delivered but shown what he admitted: Binning is deminishing image quality. If you want to compare DR you have to use silent pic in crop mode.
Thanks for ur time brother I'm bothering u for last two days
So whatever it is if I'm naming it wrongly, I don't mean to offend you or team of developers. So is there any way to get rid of this SNR? Especially I'm talking with reference to Milky Way shots. Can we even shoot long exposures in silent picture (I've read max is 15 sec) if not then ISO will have to be high meaning very little recovery from shadows/foreground.
Same goes to day light shots, which can be addressed with using ND filters but night gonna be an issue especially Milky Way

Walter Schulz

SNR: Dmilligan and I already pointed that out. Use crop mode. No binning skipping. Or wait for FRSP.
15 sec: At time of writing you have to live with that limitation.

EDIT: And if you do longer exposures you are not that prone to mirror/shutter wear. 8 h session will require 960 shots and tearing down the mechanics at that rate will take some time.

babarasghar

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 08, 2015, 10:49:25 PM
SNR: Dmilligan and I already pointed that out. Use crop mode. No binning. Or wait for FRSP.
15 sec: At time of writing you have to live with that limitation.

Plz pardon me what's is crop mode n what's binning? (Plz don't ban me if its very basic question)

dmilligan

Walter Schulz

Binning: Sorry, my wrong. Mixed up terms badly.
Actually all cams (but 5D3 and 7D2. Don't know about 750/760D yet) use line skipping. When doing native Canon video mode they will only record every third line and skip the rest. Canon uses some denoising algorithm and sharpening and up/down scaling. Leading not to the best results compared to other brands.

5D3 is using binning (or better: There are strong indications for this). Lines are not skipped but put together and processed in some way. Causing much less moiré -> praise from video people.

singlag

Full Resolution Silent Pic work on my Eos-M, but I have some question
1)To take a Full Resolution Silent Pic, I have to half press shutter to focus, and then press * to take a shot, is there any simple way, like Hold half press shutter for 3 second and auto take a shot ?

2) Full Resolution Silent Pic need Manual mode, but the shutter speed seem locked at 1/30sec ? Can I increase the shutter speed ?
I have tried to change FPS override to 70, but the actual shutter speed still show 30 at ML menu

Thank you for your help

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: singlag on April 11, 2015, 04:40:21 PM
1)To take a Full Resolution Silent Pic, I have to half press shutter to focus, and then press * to take a shot, is there any simple way, like Hold half press shutter for 3 second and auto take a shot ?
2) Full Resolution Silent Pic need Manual mode, but the shutter speed seem locked at 1/30sec ? Can I increase the shutter speed ?
1. Set up C.FnIV to 1 or 3 then you *-hold to focus and half-shutter press or *-press to take a pic.
2. The actual speed is 1/4 ( ~238 ms ) or worse on the M1, not sure where you see 1/30 though.
BTW, the main FRSP thread is this: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12523.675

chross

I must say, I love this module, especially the slit cam mode.
One question:
Is there any way another slit cam mode could be added? I'm talking about taking the SAME line every x secs and placing it left to right, or top-to-bottom. Right now, as I understand it, the camera will scan across the image.

Regards,
chross

chross

hypeastrum

There is slit-scan mode "Horizontal" which uses single center horizontal line to build the picture. Vertical slit seems to be not supported.

EDGERIDER

hi all!

how hard would it be to do a silent mode sequence like 4K at 30fps ala go pro burst mode?

masc

Quote from: EDGERIDER on February 26, 2019, 11:28:03 AM
hi all!

how hard would it be to do a silent mode sequence like 4K at 30fps ala go pro burst mode?
Already done. It is called RAW Video.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202