14bit RAW DNG silent pics! (silent.mo)

Started by Francis, April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squig

If you can control the height and make it 2080x535 we could just shoot with the anamorphic lens the other way around. Yeah the buffer is the key, the card write speed shouldn't be a problem.

1%

The dng data is roughly the same file size as the 422 files. Like 4MB... but all the files are the same size because H isn't read. I recorded pretty continuously with 720P slowed down, if it was timed right and the DNG was cut to the right height it might... I don't think it updates at like 24fps tho... more like 7 or 8 it will look like jpeg eos utility stuff out of that one utility with frame skips and all... but it would be raw.

Just dunno how to play the files back :(

Audionut

Quote from: 1% on April 27, 2013, 09:08:53 AM
Just dunno how to play the files back :(

You'd have to decode the dng's into something that something else can use to combine the images into video.
Avisynth might have a plugin that can read DNG's natively, but I doubt it.  You'd probably still need to convert to TIFF or JPG first.

squig

Frame skips, hehe, could be the next big thing!

1%

I feel like the DNGs should be separate not one file... also they would be like 1MB if it wasn't writing  the extra garbage data.  Also I have to see what happens when you zoom in.

If it was possible to compress this data with something else we'd have 1080p probably.

squig

For DNG playback I'm thinking an animation app like Cinema 4D or Flash might do it. Have you tried VLC?

Rush

Quote from: 1% on April 27, 2013, 09:08:53 AM
The dng data is roughly the same file size as the 422 files. Like 4MB...
g3gg0 made possible 12.5 fps recording with 422 files. May his method of writing will help? Or RAW burst have other limitatons?
Greetings from Russia!

trsaunders

How is the RAW_LV_EDMAC address found? I opened the EDMAC tool on my 5D3 but none of the addresses it finds seem similar to the one in consts.h.

silent_pic_take_raw() calls 'lv_save_raw', is there a way to find all callable functions (I assume this is a canon function?) from a firmware dump?

I'd like to help out with ML dev so I'm trying to understand what is going on here  ;) maybe there are some experiments I can run on my 50D to see if that can support raw silent pics?
50D, 5D3

nanomad

search for the string lv_save_raw in the disassembled firware, you'll get one reference just before a call to register_func. One of the paramters of that call is a pointer to the location of the function.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

g3gg0

lv_save_raw just sets up a variable.

search for "_StartMem1Edmac".
those will connect write edmac #18 to connection 0 (raw source)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Alia5

Besides Video...
If it works on 600D etc. we have finally working smaller RAW images! Great for doing longer sequences!

sl0w0rm

It should work on 600D because it does work on my 60D. I didn't know how to find edmac address so I used "lv_raw_dump2" which saves raw data as "*.mm1" file (it's just a memory dump).

1%

Well 600D already had mraw/sraw in a  similar form... I guess this one is easier to process and more supported.

I think that register the same for many: It is used by LVx5_StopPreproPath

There are 2 in there ... 08 and 208...

600D and eos M are both c0f26208 from the looks of it.

sl0w0rm

c0f26208 also works for 60D, thanks 1%

shuggyrasklat

where's burst mode, on the mkii?

a1ex

Watch Luke's video (with sound!) to find out.

shuggyrasklat

Ive been using ML for a while, Alex, I'm very keen on the menu...its not in my options, as to the reason, why I asked.  So, instead of making me watch the video again, whilst being a great video, it's not answering the question, at hand, so maybe you could answer, instead of not..?

sl0w0rm

Quote from: squig on April 27, 2013, 08:30:48 AM
If you can control the height and make it 2080x535 we could just shoot with the anamorphic lens the other way around. Yeah the buffer is the key, the card write speed shouldn't be a problem.

Height can be changed by changing resolution in movie mode.

On 60D in movie mode I get:
1080p/720p: buffer 1888x1321, usable 1736x1154
480p: buffer 1888x1321, usable 1736x694
480p crop: buffer 920x644, usable 768x598

trsaunders

The 5D2 address / settings works for 50D. Pictures are 1664x1164. Sample Image
50D, 5D3

a1ex

You will also need to copy the color matrix and white level from dcraw. It will also work with 5D2/3 values, but colors may be a little off.

For white level I'm thinking at some autodetection, because it seems to vary from camera to camera and also with ISO and shutter speed. Maybe hardcode it as around 13000, and auto increase it if there are pixels brighter than that. Better ideas?

I'm also trying to reorganize the code a bit, so the DNG converter would be completely platform-independent (without camera-specific constants, so we can load it as a module), and also I want to add macros for converting pixel coordinates from screen to raw image buffer (e.g. BM2RAW, LV2RAW etc). So I won't enable it on the other cameras right now, but I'll do it once the implementation will be a bit cleaner.

Feel free to experiment with it.

1%

So that's why everything starts out pink? I'll look for matrix on EOSM + 6D.

Seems the code to remap the button to the back is now only left for trap focus. If you load as module some cameras will have issues like 600D... I dunno maybe possible to give it 640K bins but then I'll only have less than an MB of ram even putting the mirror in shoot malloc.

shuggyrasklat

a1ex

Module support is not yet mature, but it's the way to go for low-mem cameras. Not right now, but in the future.

For burst: Luke's video at 1:25. Don't expect everything overnight.

Kabuto1138

To import and play the DNGs as a sequence just import them in After Effects and render them out.   If you have CS6 just import the After Effects composition to premiere so you can edit with it.

1%

The dng sequence is one file. i can do that with 422s tho.

I think would be doing continuous 422 if the module (or any module) loaded on EOSM