14bit RAW DNG silent pics! (silent.mo)

Started by Francis, April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfsgfeiuhd

Wow, you guys rock! This is amazing! I hope this is also going to work on my 600d and I will keep my fingers crossed for a 25 fps version RAW DNG recording solution. Maybe I do not need to buy the blackmagic pocket cinema camera after all...

I'll keep this development under close observation.

Kabuto1138

Amazing development the same day the 5d mark III HDMI out leaked to underwhelming results.

You guys rock!

1%

I'll try to figure it out for 600D, we'll see how that goes. Lvrec working for me now.

It makes me wonder what else utterly destroys the video quality when it goes from the raw data to the final output.

Simple, throwing away color to 4:2:0 and repeated resizing. 4MB of data to less than 1

hookah

This is so COOL !!!

Just did an compile for my 5D3.. ( holy f.. dammm so many cool feuture in there !!!! )
Works great in lightroom (but like you guys i also get that black bar and data noise in the bottom.)
5D3, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4 + 100mm 2.8 macro + 15mm

woodybrando

Hi Hookah,
could you share your autoexec.bin for the 5d3?
thx,
Jayson

Yoshiyuki Blade

Quote from: 1% on April 27, 2013, 12:07:30 AM
Simple, throwing away color to 4:2:0 and repeated resizing. 4MB of data to less than 1

I don't think chroma sub-sampling is a factor in this case, unless Canon's subsampling method is so awful that it affects the luma channel :D. Looking at the stills in 4:0:0 (greyscale), there's a definite difference in the luma resolution. Is there anything big happeneing between the point where the raw DNGs are being captured to the point where 4:2:2 raw-silent-pics-of-old were recorded? Other than chroma sub-sampling, which has a very minimal perceptual impact, the difference in resolved detail is still quite clear.

Francis

Quote from: woodybrando on April 27, 2013, 12:43:59 AM
Hi Hookah,
could you share your autoexec.bin for the 5d3?
thx,
Jayson

Build your own. It isn't very hard.

1%

in 720P overriden to 24fps I got over 150 frames.

shuggyrasklat

1%

720P 422 is doable... the raw size never changes no matter what mode you're in.

woodybrando

Quote from: Francis on April 27, 2013, 12:52:51 AM
Build your own. It isn't very hard.

hah, it isn't hard if you know what you're doing. I've spent about 20 hours trying to get compilers working for android or magic lantern or linux and haven't ever gotten them to work. There's always some tool in the tool chain that's .1 version too old or too new and 5 hours later troubleshooting I remember why I quit studying computer science.  :)

i.e.
USERNAME@USERNAME ~/magic-lantern/platform/5D3.113
$ make
[ AS       ]   entry.o
/bin/sh: /home/USERNAME/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2012q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.7.3.exe: No such file or directory
../../Makefile.inc:744: recipe for target `entry.o' failed
make: *** [entry.o] Error 127

Francis

Quote from: woodybrando on April 27, 2013, 01:29:33 AM
hah, it isn't hard if you know what you're doing. I've spent about 20 hours trying to get compilers working for android or magic lantern or linux and haven't ever gotten them to work. There's always some tool in the tool chain that's .1 version too old or too new and 5 hours later troubleshooting I remember why I quit studying computer science.  :)

i.e.
USERNAME@USERNAME ~/magic-lantern/platform/5D3.113
$ make
[ AS       ]   entry.o
/bin/sh: /home/USERNAME/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2012q4/bin/arm-none-eabi-gcc-4.7.3.exe: No such file or directory
../../Makefile.inc:744: recipe for target `entry.o' failed
make: *** [entry.o] Error 127

Download prebuilt toolchain. Point Makefile.user to the location.

I had no idea what I was doing when I tried for myself.

Greg

Can we compress dng?

Example:
Original - 5.09MB
After compression in Adobe DNG Converter - 2.63MB

2.63MB x 24FPS = 63,12MB/s
I do not know rules of operation dng in the camera, it's just an example.

shuggyrasklat

what is this 24fps thing with this? how can you take 24fps silent pic?

N/A

Quote from: 1% on April 27, 2013, 01:12:30 AM

What about through the hdmi out into an Atomos Ninja as opposed to straight to the SD? Would love to test this but I'm guessing even the Sandisk 95 buffers out after a second or two.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

premini

Oh man, this is exciting!
Any chance that my good ol 7d can handle this?

squig

Quote from: 1% on April 27, 2013, 01:12:30 AM

How does the 720p resolution compare to H.264 1080p? This could be a great option for anamorphic shooting. We could talk to Dan at Convergent Designs about a recording option for the Odyssey.

Great work guys.

Kabuto1138

I tried the nightly build.  DNG goodness, but I'm only getting like 1 file per second.  Also, every few images it goes to one of my costume profiles, not "RAW" looking.

1%

Right now can't decode the solid files.

*Looks like size does change but DNG is set to write fixed size.

fauxtographer

YAY!! This is so frickin' cool!!!
6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

a1ex

The nightly seems broken, use this link for 5D2 until it's fixed. For 5D3 you need to compile yourself for now. The user-friendly installer still needs some work, so you have to use the developer kit and understand what you are doing. I'll look into it these days.

Some things to clear up:

- It doesn't save CinemaDNG, but just plain DNG, copied from CHDK. They have been doing this for years.

- This will not improve rolling shutter at all.

- Don't hold your breath for raw video. 24fps at 1080p is unlikely IMO, even on 1000x cards.

- HDMI out doesn't help. Here's why: raw image buffer vs recorded with hyperdeck shuttle uncompressed. Ignore the overlays.

- In continuous mode I've got 4fps of raw data (not DNG, just the raw image buffer) on a 266x card. G3gg0 got 12.5fps of YUV422 video on the Lexar 1000x card.

- I was able to record around 30 frames in burst mode, at LiveView FPS (24, 25, 30, 50, whatever). It takes roughly 1 second of "recording" to RAM and then half a minute of saving the DNGs to card.

Nevertheless, I find this very useful as a fast burst mode for stills, or when you want to save shutter clicks or just avoid noise.

Luke Neumann already tried this stuff and made a short video.

http://neumannfilms.net/2013/04/27/14bit-raw-video-on-canon-dslrs-with-magic-lantern/

squig

Are you able to do a crop like 1365x803 to write 24fps to a 1000x card? which is 2k 2.55:1 with a 1.5x anamorphic lens.
Toshiba just announced a CF card with 65MB/s minimum write speed http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2013/04/behold-the-fastest-cf-card-ever-made-for-now/

DTSET123

I think there is no crop mode, it only records one size. I wonder if it is that CPU is not fast enough or what? How is it that pocket cinema is able to do it on a SD?

a1ex

Not really, width is hardcoded to 2080. I may be able to crop the height, but I can't control the buffer size yet.

Continuous recording is a lot harder than short bursts, and right now it's beyond my skills, sorry.

N.Mendes

Quote from: a1ex on April 27, 2013, 07:59:44 AM

- Don't hold your breath for raw video. 24fps at 1080p is unlikely IMO, even on 1000x cards.

This part is the most important sentence that has been said since this crazy announcement.. So, people, this huge news is for "time lapsers", not for film makers, i guess.. Unfortunately, don't expect our 5d3 to be a BMC competitor..

Whatever, ML team, you do a great job..