14bit RAW DNG silent pics! (silent.mo)

Started by Francis, April 26, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Francis

Way to go guys. This is a time lapsers dream come true right here.

Where does the 2040x1428 res come from on the 5d2?

edit: And these DNGs edit just fine in LR4.2, so probably Adobe Camera Raw 7 as well.

a1ex

There's a debug flag (lv_save_raw) that enables this. Coutts found it a few months ago on 6D, but back then we had no clue what it could be or how to decode it.

So, the missing piece from the puzzle was the 14-bit decoder from the raw histogram experiments, and the location of the LV RAW buffer (visible right away once g3gg0 understood how EDMAC works).

The DNG encoder from CHDK worked pretty much out of the box.

I'm now trying to sync FPS override with shutter speed, so you can take slow exposures too.

wolf

Is there a chance for DNG silent pics on other cameras, especially 550D?

Stedda

5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

coutts

Quote from: wolf on April 26, 2013, 04:31:43 PM
Is there a chance for DNG silent pics on other cameras, especially 550D?
In theory yes, the only question is how big will the silent pics be (since buffer size depends on the camera). should be the same resolution as normal silent pics (it is on 6D i know)

agsingh

Thats amazing! Does this translate to video? How great would that be to get raw dng's at 24fps!

Great work A1ex and ML team!  :D

menoc

Quote from: agsingh on April 26, 2013, 05:43:50 PM
Thats amazing! Does this translate to video? How great would that be to get raw dng's at 24fps!

Great work A1ex and ML team!  :D

Maybe the 5D3. Digic 4 in the older cams may not be fast enough for dng at 24fps. . . . But then again, I could be wrong!

trsaunders

Awesome, means I don't have to drag my 50D around for timelapses so that I don't wear out my 5D3  8)

Great job!
50D, 5D3

Greg

It looks great. Can someone upload DNG file?
I would like to see how it looks in the ACR.

trsaunders

I just tried it out on my 5D3, but it is corrupted in everything I've tried to open it with - Shotwell, Darktable, gimp, gThumb.

here's an example file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5c2vah29wis0wjk/52090007.DNG

50D, 5D3

a1ex

It opens just fine with ufraw here.

agsingh

Quote from: menoc on April 26, 2013, 06:06:24 PM
Maybe the 5D3. Digic 4 in the older cams may not be fast enough for dng at 24fps. . . . But then again, I could be wrong!

Well i have a 5d3 so im hopefull  :)

haavard

I did a quick check, and I have the same corrupt data on the bottom of the DNG, it seems that I get the same picture saved as I can see on the LiveView screen, so basically the corrupt bottom part is just additional data, not a corruption of the image data itself

haavard

I opened the dng with Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw, by the way

trsaunders

Quote from: a1ex on April 26, 2013, 08:18:25 PM
It opens just fine with ufraw here.
I just tried with ufraw 0.19 and got the same result:
50D, 5D3

a1ex

Yea, just crop it. Since I don't know how to autodetect the image height (other than hardcoding the image resolutions), I've just assummed a 2:3 ratio.

I've also tried with dcraw - opens fine. Not sure what's wrong.

dcraw.tiff

trsaunders

If I set the temperature, green and exposure to match yours I get the same image, so it must be guessing them wrongly for some reason. Very strange!
50D, 5D3

Kabuto1138

Great work guys!!  just when I was thinking of leaving Canon for a panasonic camera you guys open the door for huge possibilities!!

I have a 5D2 if there is anything to test I'll be more than happy to.

Yoshiyuki Blade

Great work guys! I tried it on the 5D2 and cropped off 160px on the left-hand side and 18 at the top. The ratio appears to be 4:3, 1880x1410. I haven't tested this yet, but will the resolution be different when taking silent pics while recording (like the old way was)? edit: Just checked, it doesn't so this is the theoretical max I assume. edit2: Oops, I didn't notice the big white border at the bottom. It's closer to 3:2 now, at 1880x1248.

shuggyrasklat

so, then, is FPS override still better as a resolution, at a solid, 1k, asides from it being .dng ..

1%

Mine have that shit on the bottom too... at least it helped me figure out Hskip and vskip.

I'm trying to get the recorder working but so far no dice. Nothing is written.

*They are 1920x1344 ... bigger than silent pics for sure but not like 40MB matrix file.

Heh, I think it needs to remap the AF button like regular silent pics.

shuggyrasklat

Yoshiyuki Blade

I must say that the quality is much, much better than the original silent pic. Before, the difference in actual resolved detail between video (at Q-16) and the raw silent pic was virtually nonexistent. Sure there was a quality difference with the absence of H.264 compression artifacts, but it didn't really increase resolution by much. The raw DNG definitely captures more detail. I can read smaller text that's very blurry in video more clearly. For kicks, I compared it to a "reference" full resolution 21MP still image downscaled to 1920x1080 and although it obviously can't compare (still has aliasing issues among other artifacts), it's still pretty darn good and has similar resolution qualities.

The only problem atm is that there's no way to properly apply a picture style to the raw DNG. Video and the old silent pic basically had the picture styles "baked in," but that's not the case for raw DNGs now. So although I can still get a rough idea on the resolution improvement, the colors are way off and won't be easy to adjust.

It makes me wonder what else utterly destroys the video quality when it goes from the raw data to the final output. As I've mentioned before, the old silent pic didn't look much different from normal video, save for the lack of compression artifacts. Being 4:2:2 and uncomrpessed didn't make as a huge perceptual difference as the raw DNG does now.