6D turn off GPS when camera is switched off

Started by Feldspar, April 02, 2013, 01:24:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feldspar

Currently when the camera is turned off, the GPS stays active (and blinks "GPS" on the LCD). This has led to dead batteries from time to time for me, and if it was possible to have the GPS (and WiFi too, I think) go on and off with the main power switch, that would be fantastic.

1%

Yea, that is doable. But you'll have to turn them back on when you power on.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on April 02, 2013, 06:20:58 PM
Yea, that is doable. But you'll have to turn them back on when you power on.

... which somehow defeats the purpose, doesn't it? Maybe there's a way to save a "gps was on" flag and then auto-enable gps when the camera is powered on again? Or just implement this feature with two options "just turn gps off on power-off" and "turn it off and re-enable it again after power-on"?

Feldspar

It's not ideal, but better than nothing. It would be nice if the GPS could be enabled on power on as well though.

xms

+1 to this request. Canon's GPS implementation is annoying, I either forget to turn it off and end up with no battery power or forget to turn it on and have to manually tag photos later on...

jeffcaplan

I'd like to +10 this request.  The GPS remaining on, even while the camera is off will easily kill the battery in less than a day and it's very frustrating to have to constantly turn it on and off every time you turn the camera on and off.  I love the idea of having an option which will turn the GPS off when the camera powers off and turn it back on when the camera starts back up.

Les Young

I agree it would be nice. However, if ML could do it, couldn't Canon do it too with a firmware update?