[WONT FIX] AF Micro Adjustment for individual AF points.

Started by ricku, March 27, 2013, 02:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricku

Short description of my problem. I have a couple of lenses that needs to have different AFMA-values for different points. For example on my 50L, most of the points are perfect at +2, except some points on the right side that needs +9. On my Sigma 85, it's the same problem, but this time on the left AF points.

Since AFMA adjustments are global and can't be adjusted per AF point, this is a real pain in the rear. I am truly hopeful that individual AF point adjustment is something that can be put into Magic Lantern.

What say you? :)

Audionut

That would be cool. 

Maybe something like, select AF point, press button to tell ML I'm at my focus point, ML look-up table for per-determined value, apply value.  Center AF point always resets value.

This sounds like something that could maybe be done with scripting.  If no one specifically states that it can't be done with scripting, I'll try my hand at it early next week.

engardeknave

This is a good idea. My 85/1.2 has different optimal AF offsets throughout its focal range. This should be really easy to implement with a script, but it might not be practical to use until after scripting support matures a little.

Marsu42

Quote from: ricku on March 27, 2013, 02:53:29 AM
Short description of my problem. I have a couple of lenses that needs to have different AFMA-values for different points. For example on my 50L, most of the points are perfect at +2, except some points on the right side that needs +9. On my Sigma 85, it's the same problem, but this time on the left AF points.

This sounds classic decentering and the lens should make a trip to Canon service or - preferably if new - back to the store. Or the camera could be broken - are you sure this really is an af problem, i.e. if you focus the right 50L point with afma the left side is equally in focus?

I often read the CR forum and people there are maniacts about precise afma, but never heard of such large lateral differences (only wide/far zoom as implemented in the 5d3/6d).

ricku

Still no response from admin, so I'm bumping the thread.  :)

Marsu: It doesn't really matter if the lateral difference is small or big. The fact is that some points need their own afma-settings, and this would be a great feature to have in ML.

I don't know if ML is freeware or not (I haven't tried it yet) but happily pay to have a feature like this.

Francis

Quote from: ricku on April 27, 2013, 07:15:21 AM
Still no response from admin, so I'm bumping the thread.  :)

Marsu: It doesn't really matter if the lateral difference is small or big. The fact is that some points need their own afma-settings, and this would be a great feature to have in ML.

I don't know if ML is freeware or not (I haven't tried it yet) but happily pay to have a feature like this.

You ask for a new feature in software you haven't used at all. And then you bump your request.

And no this would not be an easy thing to script given the current API.