Canon 550D Main dial problem

Started by Nick Gr, March 09, 2013, 11:50:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Gr

I don't know if it's a ML problem or a hardware malfunction, but yesterday i passed the Nightly 8/3 to my card
and as i went to movie mode to shoot, the main dial stopped corresponding, in all modes ...

The feel on use, was the same as always, so i thought to check the software first ...
I tried battery replacements and a card without ML to see if anything happens, but nothing ...
I repasted the official firmware and repasted to the card the Nightly 27/2 but the problem didn't solved... 

I then remembered, that the grip has main dial also, i used it, it worked fine and the camera's main dial also
restored full functionality together ...

Is there a possibility,  the main dial stuck, to be an ML override issue ??

I cannot say, if it was the change of software that restored things or not, or there is an override order for
camera's main dial, that didn't applied to grip's main dial ...

The camera works fine now ...
EOS 550D - ML - EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron 18-250mm - Tokina 80-400mm - Canon EFS 18-55mm - Sigma 70-300mm Macro

SamJH7

Just thought I'd add to the above post...

I have been running ML on my 550D for about a year now and haven't had any issues.
I had just used the camera the day before and it was operating fine, like usual.
However, today I took the camera to a reccy to take some photos and noticed the dial had stopped responding in all modes (same as Nick Gr described above).

When I got home I googled the issue and this thread/page popped up...so I attached my battery grip and used the dial and it seemed to restore functionality to the camera body's dial (same as Nick Gr described doing to fix his).
So the camera works fine in the end.

Unlike the post above however, I didn't try anything else to help resolve the problem first as I thought I would see what other people have said. So I just thought I would add to this discussion in regards to this issue I suppose.

And thank you Nick Gr for posting your findings as I completely forgot I had a battery grip for this camera!

Nick Gr

I'm glad that my post was useful to you. Notifying, about it, the ML developing team and helping others with the same problem, was the purpose of my post, in the first place. Also you confirmed that it was the battery grip's main dial that restored functionality, (i was sure about it, but i described everything i did, "just in case"). So that is a solution that appears solid (i didn't had again issues, since then. ).
EOS 550D - ML - EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron 18-250mm - Tokina 80-400mm - Canon EFS 18-55mm - Sigma 70-300mm Macro

Intenditore

I just had exactly the same problem. And exactly the same solutuion)

kitor

I had similar problem about a month ago. But I was already using battery grip, both dials stopped working. After disconnecting whole grip everything went back to normal operation  :)
But there was moment of fear, as my dad had broken dial in his 40d about a week earlier.
Too many Canon cameras.
If you have a dead R or RP mainboard (e.g. after camera repair) and want to donate for experiments, I'll cover shipping costs.

sam...wise

Hi Guys,

I have the same issue as above with my Canon, but the fix did not work. Both the battery grip dial and camera main dial are not functioning. Any ideas? I have taken the battery grip off and tried operating with the camera battery only, but didn't help.