DotTune AFMA (dot_tune.mo)

Started by Kent, February 20, 2013, 06:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

The A and B values for per lens are W and T? They are set to the same thing? How to find both? The screen is supposed to shut off while its searching?

I get +13 on my 35-135. Have to try other leneses... wow, seems like a lot. My AF was off by this much on every picture?

-16 on tokina 11-16 in 16MM (designed for APS-C so 15+16 or you get vignette)

a1ex

If the screen normally turns off when you press half-shutter, like 600D... not sure what to do. Maybe call display_on in the print routine?

With 5D3, I have +20 on 50/1.8 at ~1 meter and +8 at ~3 meters. Both figures are quite repeatable.

1%

So thats where its from. You can turn off screen off on half shutter in a function somewhere in canon menus.

I haven't been able to get a value outside of regular range yet. Its different at different distance? My distance calculation is broken.

horshack

Quote from: a1ex on February 23, 2013, 07:36:38 PM
If the screen normally turns off when you press half-shutter, like 600D... not sure what to do. Maybe call display_on in the print routine?

With 5D3, I have +20 on 50/1.8 at ~1 meter and +8 at ~3 meters. Both figures are quite repeatable.

I just tried your latest. That GUI you put on it is so sweet. Here are the results with my Sigma 35mm f/1.4 @ 1.5 meters so far:

My algorithm: +6, +6, +5, +5
Your algorithm: +6, +5, +5, +5

So they look to be equal. I'll try a few more lenses - if they're all about the same then it looks like your algorithm is good to go! This is so cool.

Edit: Here are my 50mm EF f/1.4 results:

My algorithm: +3, +2, +2, +3
Your algorithm: +1, +2, +2, +2

1%

Tokina 50-150 says not enough info.

11-16 pointed outside now got +24 range.

600D has prop 0x80010006... will it just do nothing like turning on the level does?

horshack

I've made a video to give others an early peak at this. The video is private right now - wanted to run it by you ML guys to make sure it's ok to make public.

a1ex

Looks very nice, thanks a lot!

I would also like to include a screen which shows perfect focus on the test target (maybe the LiveView 10x screen). Of course, this is up to you.

Greg

Quote from: 1% on February 23, 2013, 08:02:39 PM
600D has prop 0x80010006... will it just do nothing like turning on the level does?

I don't know anything about it. But I found it - http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/AF_microadjust

horshack

Quote from: a1ex on February 23, 2013, 10:38:41 PM
Looks very nice, thanks a lot!

I would also like to include a screen which shows perfect focus on the test target (maybe the LiveView 10x screen). Of course, this is up to you.

Thank YOU Alex! Having an in-camera automated AF tune is a remarkable achievement IMO. I suspect once this is becomes available many fresh users will give ML a serious look. Regarding prefocusing in LV, I make mention of it in the voice over, if that's ok for this initial video. When you guys release this officially I promise to do another video with better production value and more exposition, including the LV step.

1%

QuoteI don't know anything about it. But I found it - http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/AF_microadjust

That prop will be all 0 on 600D, need offsets and lenght from 60D (closest camera) to compare. A lenght of 5 is a good start but I need to know where to put AFMA stuff and see if it follows it when actually focusing it. On 6D, using the wrong prop wrote correct values but nothing happened. I have no canon menu to check against on 600D. If 60D is also 5 then I can compare. 5d2 is like 1 off of 6D, 5d3 was a different prop.

*checked first value is 5 so that can't be mode. so its 1,2,3,4 I think without W+T that leaves 3/4. One is mode, others are all lens and per lens.

Audionut

The general consensus is to test the MA @ 50x the focal length.  ie:  50mm lens @ 2.5M.

For general adjustments, the test should also be run with plenty of light from a good light source.
Although the Canon manual states that the adjustment should be made under the same shooting conditions.  So the ML implementation will fulfill this requirement nicely.

For Wide/Telle adjustments, I would just run 2 tests at both ends and make note of the results and enter manually.

horshack

Was going to ask if you guys have unlocked the 60D's AFMA support but I just found the wiki. I don't have a 60D but I was wondering if the PDAF system internally supports AFMA.

1%

60D doesn't have afma in canon firmware? Fuuuck. Ok well for both then:

on 5d2 its
0x8
+4
and then the 2 values together so on 600D its likely: 1 and then 3,4? 60D that prop is the same length?

Not enough data
#define AFMA_MODE       afma_buf[0]
#define AFMA_PER_LENS   afma_buf[3]
#define AFMA_ALL_LENSES afma_buf[4]

not enough data
#define AFMA_PER_LENS   afma_buf[2]
#define AFMA_ALL_LENSES afma_buf[3]

Sometimes 0, sometimes not enough data, sometimes value
#define AFMA_PER_LENS   afma_buf[1]
#define AFMA_ALL_LENSES afma_buf[2]

Using other values for afma buf result in user canceled adjustment.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on February 24, 2013, 06:13:42 AM
60D doesn't have afma in canon firmware? Fuuuck.

Exactly - Canon removed it from the 50d->60d to make the 7d look better (thanks, Canon!). But probably all they did was commenting it out in the ui, so it would be a godsend it you'd figure out if the 60d internally still supports it...

a1ex

Enabled it for 50D, no idea if it works: http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/df1d8540749f

Who's brave enough to try?

trsaunders

I just did a fresh checkout of the ML source, compiled and copied to camera, but I couldn't find the DotTune function. Do I need to enable something?

50D, 5D3

a1ex

I forgot to enable FEATURE_AFMA_TUNING, try again.

trsaunders

better luck this time, I could run DotTune, and my camera didn't catch on fire or explode but it didn't catch any focus like in the previous video.

I removed the sound track as there was lots of background noise, but at the end I switched to auto focus and took a photo and it focused fine. The camera was quite close to the subject though - not far off the minimum distance.
50D, 5D3

a1ex

If you change AFMA value from ML menu, does the value get updated in Canon menu? Try in both modes (by-lens or all lenses).

garry23

trsaunders

You beat me to it: that is testing on the 50D.

However, although I downloaded the latest nightly build (23 Feb), for some reason I don't see the same ML start layout as you.

Strange?

Any idea why this should be?

Also, no AFA function.

Cheers

Garry

trsaunders

Quote from: a1ex on February 24, 2013, 04:05:20 PM
If you change AFMA value from ML menu, does the value get updated in Canon menu? Try in both modes (by-lens or all lenses).
It does; I can set the 'all-lenses' value to 2 in ML, it is set as 2 in Canon. I change again in Canon menu, it is reflected in ML menu.

I can't see how to change between by-lens and all-lenses in the ML menu however?

Quote from: garry23 on February 24, 2013, 04:08:26 PM
Any idea why this should be?
you need to checkout and build the latest code
50D, 5D3

a1ex

Nightly builds are updated daily, not every 10 minutes ;)

So... the AFMA part seems alright. Can you check if trap focus works?

Edit: also try on something with more contrast.

trsaunders

ah ha, you're right, there was not enough contrast!

it works now  ;D
50D, 5D3

Greg

Maybe the focus confirmation is not read?

garry23

All

As I don't build myself, I will wait for the next nightly build and add to trsaunders' testing, ie I have the following Canon lenses: 50mm, 100mm macro, 70-200 F4, plus I have 10-20 Sigma and 150-500 SAigma.

Cheers

Garry