600d hot battery

Started by deletedAcc.0021, February 17, 2013, 04:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deletedAcc.0021

Yesterday I installed ML 2.3 for the first time on a new 600d.  Install went normal and all functions worked as expected. Although, when I removed the battery (Canon) to recharge, I noticed it was very warm to the touch.  At first I though I played around with the camera too long examining all the functions of ML, but (after the battery was recharged) I went back in for approximately 15 minutes to set up the functions of ML that I would use most often and noticed that when I pulled the battery again it was hot or at least very warm.

The only functions I had turned on were: magic zoom, exposure override, and manual mode on everything else.

I was concerned so I ran a few test, recharging the battery between test.

First, I rebooted and bypassed ML and used the Canon firmware. I used the Canon zoom function several times to achieve focus, then bounced around in the menu settings like I did when booted into ML.  After 15 minutes I removed the battery and noticed it was not near as warm as the previous session.

Second test, This time I booted into ML and turned everything off other than Global draw and played with the menus.  After 15 minutes, I checked the battery and it was about the same as the first test.

Third test, booted into ML again and turned on the magic zoom and exposure override.  Keeping the magic zoom window open for the entire 15 minute test, and playing within the menus as I did in test 1 and 2.  I removed the battery, and sure enough it was very warm, almost hot. Much warmer than the previous two test.

Now I did not do any test to determine the amount of draw on the battery other than the charge times which were about equal in all three test.

Has anyone else had these issues?  I'm sure magic zoom can't draw that much juice that it would cause the battery to heat up.  Just concerned and I don't want to fry my new camera.

1%

That area gets hot from cpu usage and from writing video. If you get a battery grip then the battery won't get hot.

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: 1% on February 17, 2013, 04:48:51 PM
That area gets hot from cpu usage and from writing video. If you get a battery grip then the battery won't get hot.

So your saying that the cpu is heating up and the radiated heat is warming the battery compartment and battery?

I was not writing video in any of the tests, just exploring the ML menus and using magic zoom.

I really like the functionality of ML and appreciate all the work the developers put in, I'm just a bit concerned about the heating issues with the battery.

Does magic zoom require the processor to work that much harder that it would heat up like that?

1%

You can turn on the cpu usage from debug menu. I wouldn't worry about it too much (maybe it can degrade the battery?). People have run their cameras all night. 600D needs a grip anyway.

deletedAcc.0021

thanks for your replies.  I have been reading other post about overheating and warm battery temps and it seems normal.  I'm not getting any warnings on the LCD so I guess the operation temps are normal for the amount of "menu surfing" I'm was doing.

Will look into getting a battery grip soon.

Thanks again to all the developers for their dedication to the project and support.

scrax

If you fell it warm in the hand without getting burn it's not a temperature so hot to give problems to your equipment IMHO
You will feel pain touching a battery for a few seconds that probably it's at 60° and for an electronic device that is not a hot temperature.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

deletedAcc.0021

Quote from: scrax on February 18, 2013, 12:56:03 AM
If you fell it warm in the hand without getting burn it's not a temperature so hot to give problems to your equipment IMHO
You will feel pain touching a battery for a few seconds that probably it's at 60° and for an electronic device that is not a hot temperature.

It definitely wasn't warm enough to burn, but it was warm enough to get my attention.  I'm probably being a bit over protective of my new camera ... time to take it out and enjoy it.

thanks for everything!

scrax

About battery grips and temperature, we all agree that with a battery grip we have less heating on the battery since it will be away from the sensor heat.
But if I got it right that heat on the battery is something that was on the sensor before and so till the battery don't burn is not so bad, with the battery grip we have a lot of air instead of the battery that will not take away the heat of sensor like was doing the battery, or not?

Isn't that idea that having a battery grip will reduce heat on sensor a myth?

About CPU usage and battery drain, is that related on DIGIC? Do we have different C P state similar to ACPI?
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

1%

Heat is bad for lithium batteries. It won't reduce the sensor heat but your battery won't be absorbing that heat killing its life. Current being drawn does produce some heat from the battery but I don't think its enough to actually heat the sensor or anything else. The camera just doesn't draw power fast enough.

Its never gotten hot enough to burn me but the sd card is uncomfortably warm. 

deletedAcc.0021

Played around with the camera some more last night running different scenarios to see what situation causes heating of the battery.

1. Magic zoom on, exposure override and recording for 10 mins:  battery and card extremely warm.

2. Canon firmware, recording for 10 mins:  battery and card warm similar to test 1.

3. ML, magic zoom on, live view on,  exposure override, camera idle (not recording):  warm, but not as warm as previous test.

4.  Canon firmware, camera idle, live view, camera idle (not recording):  warm, same as test 3.

The higher temps while recording is understandable.

No overheat warnings so I believe this is normal camera operation.

1%

The only time I got the thermometer on the screen was in 90F temps recording at Q87 of complex scenes. Under normal circumstances, never.