[DONE] Peripheral Illumination Correction for non canon lenses

Started by sparedog, February 17, 2013, 12:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparedog

I own some non canon zoom lenses, like the Tamron 24-70mm, and would like to use Peripheral Illumination Correction during video.

This cant be replicated in post production, because during video the aperture and focal distance is lost.

But we have the information available in programs like photoshop and lightroom. So is it possible to hack one of the Canon lens Peripheral Illumination Correction profiles I wont ever use, replace its contents with the details for the Tamron 24-70mm, and load that into the camera?

Marsu42

Quote from: sparedog on February 17, 2013, 12:49:39 AM
So is it possible to hack one of the Canon lens Peripheral Illumination Correction profiles I wont ever use, replace its contents with the details for the Tamron 24-70mm, and load that into the camera?

As I'm going to buy the Tamron 24-70 I'd be interested in this, too, but I have to mention that the Tamron has quite another, stronger vignetting profile than any Canon I can think of and also another CA profile (for digic5 6d/5d3) - so I doubt if simply applying another profile would be really helpful. The real trick would be to upload a custom profile (through eos utility) for 3rd party lenses, but I imagine Canon went to some lengths to prevent that.

sparedog

Quote from: Marsu42 on February 17, 2013, 10:18:53 PM
As I'm going to buy the Tamron 24-70 I'd be interested in this, too, but I have to mention that the Tamron has quite another, stronger vignetting profile than any Canon I can think of and also another CA profile (for digic5 6d/5d3) - so I doubt if simply applying another profile would be really helpful. The real trick would be to upload a custom profile (through eos utility) for 3rd party lenses, but I imagine Canon went to some lengths to prevent that.

yes, that is kinda what I mean, to upload a custom profile, but to contain it in a Canon wrapper, so that the EOS Utility has no problems passing it to the camera.

sparedog

Is this at all possible? I used to play around with res edit and change properties within files. Could this be done with the eos utily, open one of the canon lenses and type in the figures i want it adjust by?

Or am I flogging a dead horse?

g3gg0

Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Rush

I have Canon 17-55/2.8 lens with 600D and still can't turn on this feature. What I need to do to enable it with canon lens?
Greetings from Russia!

1%

Canon menu -> 1st box. Peripheral ilumin. correct

You can upload more profiles with eos utility.

Rush

Thanks 1%.

Just did some comparison before/after. I'll stick to no correction, because with this option on I lose dynamic range and get more noise instead.
For real, I like some vignetting and usually add it in post.

Peripheral ilumin. correct TURNED ON:

Peripheral ilumin. correct TURNED OFF:
Greetings from Russia!

1%

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on March 08, 2013, 01:06:36 AM
As with all these things, the pc does it better.

But if shooting 8bit jpeg in-camera vignetting control gives better iq because afaik it's applied *before* color reduction (other than 14 bit raw output) - and with some wide angle primes vignetting on open aperture is so heavy it's important to see the corrected preview in camera, same goes for ca (digic5)

Quote from: g3gg0 on March 08, 2013, 10:07:38 AM
how about video lens correction?

Indeed, that's why having 3rd party profiles would be very nice - like for the Tamron 24-70vc which has image stabilization other than Canon's 24-70 versions.

a1ex

Mystery solved :)

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/57509d0efc21

How? By connecting the dots between the latest discoveries from g3gg0 and indy and the results from DIGIC poke investigations.

Vignette correction works just like the other DIGIC image effects, and we can fine-tune the exposure according to the distance from image center. The correction value can be from 0 to 1023, which maps to 0 ... +1 EV.

Edit: this seems to work only on old cameras (doesn't work on 5D Mark III). Booo...

Indy

How are used the lens00.bin tables to produce Digic correction data ? how are used aperture and focal ?

Indy

a1ex

They aren't used in ML; g3gg0 found out that C0F08578 is index, C0F0857C is data, and with this info we wrote our own implementation from scratch (which overrides Canon's correction completely).

Indy

OK, thanks for the clarification.
can we have these Digic data ? there are related to attached lend right ? which lens it is ?

Indy

a1ex

You can't read these registers, just write them. So... I don't know the original Canon values.

Same for picture style curves. I know from trial and error that c0f0f100 - c0f0160 describe the luma curve, 0xc0f0f11c/28/34/50/60 are luma values (0-255) and the others seem to be polynomial coefficients, but I have no idea what the default values are or how to configure a smooth curve.

Indy

Excellent!
this is for LV, so for exposim, right ?
the digic must also be used for image data (written to SDcard)

Indy

g3gg0

sparedog

Does the DONE mean that this has been achieved? Could I correct my tamron  24-70vc on my 6d?

1%

A1ex said it didn't work on 5d3 just like with the image effects. Probably needs more investigation.

Betelgeuza

Quote from: sparedog on February 17, 2013, 12:49:39 AM
I own some non canon zoom lenses, like the Tamron 24-70mm, and would like to use Peripheral Illumination Correction during video.

This cant be replicated in post production, because during video the aperture and focal distance is lost.

But we have the information available in programs like photoshop and lightroom. So is it possible to hack one of the Canon lens Peripheral Illumination Correction profiles I wont ever use, replace its contents with the details for the Tamron 24-70mm, and load that into the camera?

im not fully sure but maybe this  turtorial helps you :

http://digitol.free.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136

alsow igot question ..i dont want start new post about this...

in lastes digital photo professional 3.12.52.0 there is new cool feature called   Digital Lens Optimizer   but like for now this stuff not supporting low price lenses what is very  not good..but feature what they add to  DPP is grate competition for Light Room ,, most cool  features  from Light Room are now in DPP..

and question ... :

in EOS Utility  i can load  to camera Lens Profiles and  i got there all my two lenses profiles (in EOU Utility )..so  if im right  profiles from EOS Utility are same lenses profiles what in DPP ,, ?if yes . how i can transfer that profiles from EOS Utility to Photo Digital Professional  list ? list with profiles in DPP is automaticly loaded from Canon Server and not includiong  low price lenses  but EOS Utility got them some where in side program ...this is possible to transfer them ?

locoboy

Quote from: sparedog on March 15, 2013, 02:30:47 AM
Does the DONE mean that this has been achieved? Could I correct my tamron  24-70vc on my 6d?
i'm gettin more vignette :/ event with photos

a1ex

Just got it working on 5D3. It will probably work on the other digic V cameras too.