Fast access to and foolproof confirmation for settings

Started by Marsu42, February 08, 2013, 12:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

The recent Expo Lock is a great feature and might even draw pro shooters to ml because with it you can quickly set the dof while shooting full manual. The problem is that when shooting an event you don't have time to flip through the ml menu - to req #1: please add the option to toggle the feature through SET when outside ml. As a follow-up req #2 there would have to be a fool-proof confirmation if expo is locked or not (I'm fresh out of ideas here, can ml access the top lcd or the viewfinder bar?) - when in doubt a beep when locking (and maybe a double beep when unlocking) might also do.

scrax

Not possible to access the top display, Fast ML item toggle is a thing on my to do list for dialog options, it will require two click but will be more configurable (with more item to toggle instead of just one)

So far I've addd the option to open ML ISO submenu and ML WB submenu from their dialog with trash (so full ISO and WB contro is always 2 click away).

For lock feedback I can add an icon to photo info display when on or a string like for audio release.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Marsu42

Quote from: scrax on February 08, 2013, 03:01:46 AM
Not possible to access the top display, Fast ML item toggle is a thing on my to do list for dialog options, it will require two click but will be more configurable (with more item to toggle instead of just one.

Certainly an improvement and I'm looking forward to trying your source pull, though this feature request is about *one* click access really - when shooting an event in full m you don't want to use *any* menu but simply press a button (i.e. most conveniently SET or maybe even DOF PREVIEW ) to switch a binary preset, so it'd be nice if there was...

... req: a ml option to put any on/off toggle enabled menu item to a selectable button plus an option for confirmations on/off (but as written above I'm still most interested in switching expo lock with a button):

So maybe like "Prefs->Quick access buttons" with submenu
-> binary option to allocate
-> button to allocate to (SET/DOF/...)
-> toggle confirmation (none/beep if on/add. double beep if off)

scrax

Quote from: Marsu42 on February 08, 2013, 10:16:52 AM
Certainly an improvement and I'm looking forward to trying your source pull, though this feature request is about *one* click access really - when shooting an event in full m you don't want to use *any* menu but simply press a button (i.e. most conveniently SET or maybe even DOF PREVIEW ) to switch a binary preset, so it'd be nice if there was...

With the current code I press iso then play and can toggle without removing the eye from eyefinder ALO, with < then PLAY I toggle metering mode, once learned all those shortcut can be used without watching the menu. That's not as simple as a button switch but gives a lot more flexibility. So far SET could be used for expo value toggle so i prefer to don't use it to avoid conflicts, maybe that option could be expanded to be configurable like you suggested.

My idea is to put a selectable list of ml item in DriveDialog and use up/down arrrow to select what to toggle and LV button to activate it. So you can have set Expo lock before shooting and < then LV will toggle ExpoLock without leaving the eye from viewfinder

This of course on a rebel like camera layout, for the pro wheeled camera I need suggestion eventually.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Marsu42

Quote from: scrax on February 08, 2013, 05:15:53 PM
With the current code I press iso then play and can toggle without removing the eye from eyefinder ALO, with < then PLAY I toggle metering mode, once learned all those shortcut can be used without watching the menu. That's not as simple as a button switch but gives a lot more flexibility.

My idea is to put a selectable list of ml item in DriveDialog and use up/down arrrow to select what to toggle and LV button to activate it. So you can have set Expo lock before shooting and < then LV will toggle ExpoLock without leaving the eye from viewfinder

Sounds absolutely terrific and flexible, I really hope you can add this!

The only addition I'd like to suggest an on/off feedback for things that aren't visible in the viewfinder or top lcd - for example for expo lock you only recognize if it's on or off after changing something. My suggestions:

* beep for on (when having the eye to the viewfinder)
* big message on the display ("Expo Lock ON" or "WB set to xxxx").

Quote from: scrax on February 08, 2013, 05:15:53 PM
This of course on a rebel like camera layout, for the pro wheeled camera I need suggestion eventually.

With the 60d and 6d this should also be ok, that leaves the 5dc/5d2/5d3 - in these cases the joystick should replace the directional keys.

As for the back wheel: This would be great if used for non-binary options like white balance, if you manage to add lv+back wheel for changing this you'd fix a major problem with the 6d in comparison to the 5d3 - on 5d3 you can access wb through buttons, on the 6d you have to use the menu.

1%

shortcut keys work for wb on 6D.  canon info screens let you change it too. don't think there is an indicator for lV tho, someone asked. Should probably go in top bar with fps, etc.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on February 09, 2013, 05:07:23 PM
canon info screens let you change it too.

I know, same on 60d - but it's not very accessible and "Rebel"-Style", changing the custom wb is a pita.

Quote from: 1% on February 09, 2013, 05:07:23 PM
shortcut keys work for wb on 6D. 

... I don't really like the current shortcut keys implementation (if I get them to work at all). I'm talking about non-lv shooting mode here. Have you ever used a 5d3? That's the speed it should be on all cameras, but with ml support instead of Canon. That's why I like scrax' idea (see above) - I'd imagine it like this:

Press LV (or probably DOF), and to change three functions you can pre-select in the ml menu (like "My Menu" select/hide) by using either left/right, up/down or the back wheel. To have a feedback about what you're changing the value(s) should be printed on the screen, or for binary values there should be the option for an on/off beep to be able to keep the eye to the viewfinder. If you're finished press SET, or LV (or DOF) again to trigger the function originally assigned to that key.