[IMPOSSIBLE] 14bit HDR MJPEG video mode

Started by mikexilva, January 30, 2013, 04:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikexilva

Now that we are aproaching the new gen of OLED TV's I suppose we could take advantage of recording more than 8bit/channel, ( I'm looking forward to see how the RAW still pictures will look in a 4k deep color OLED TVs ).

I know there is aleready an HDR mode that captures 2 frames with diferent ISO settings for creating an HDR video in post processing, but that have some limitations (framerates, etc), so I thought if we could read just once the 14bit sensor RAW data for the 1080p resolution and after that save 2 JPEG images, one with maximum bightness (using just the 8 least significative bits - clipping the bright areas) and the second JPEG with minimum brighness (using just the 8 most significative bits - clipping the dark areas) we could get 2 JPEG's for each real frame and in post processing that could be converted to an HDR video or maybe a 14 bit H.265 format...

Do you think it could be done, or this data would not be that much usefull for creating a higher dynamic range video file? what about performance, could the 550D hardware handle compressing 60 1920x1080 JPEG files/sec?

1%

not 550d. maybe 600D and digic v. hdr would work the same but getting jpeg out of digic v is at an impasse and 600D only makes 1024 jpegs and has to be tethered

fix hd (or lv, buffer is hd sized for HDMI) buffer -> to jpeg creation and you'll have mjpeg.