Shutter speed, what am I missing

Started by gash, January 02, 2013, 02:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gash

I just upgraded to 2.3 after over a year of not following ( 0.21) (simply, I was quite happy).

Impressed by the changes, as always! But my shutter speed in ML cannot be set below 1/25 (Manual mode, 600D).

Is that a new limitation? Am I missing something?

Francis

Are you in movie mode with a frame rate of 25 or 24 FPS?

gash

Movie mode is 1920 25FPS. The problem is in photo mode.

kihlbahkt

I am using the latest nightly build and can confirm the 1/25 limit on a 600D. I cant explain why, maybe someone else can provide more detail. Anyone?

I have found that in the ML EXPO menu and using the TV/AV arrow key shortcuts in liveview, it wont go below 1/25 in Manual photo mode.

WORKAROUND:
Use the scroll wheel to drop below 1/25 s. This is the default canon method of changing Shutter speed.

Perhaps this should be moved to bug report, unless I too am missing something and this limit is there for a reason. If not, then we should be able to drop shutter speed as needed in ML Expo and LV av/tv shortcuts, right?
600D x2

scrax

ML shutter works in LV only with exp.Override on, when selected press INFO and you will find that it's only for fine set and enable values not available in movie mode from 1/25 to 1/8000.
It's not intended to be used for fine tune higher values. So it's not a bug, mybe a feat request should be more appropriate.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

gash

I don't understand.

ML shutter speed is one way to set the shutter. It's not just for video. Just like aperture control and ISO. That's how it used to worked.

Now I can't use ML to set a shutter speed of say 1/8. For example, in Aperture Priority, in Live View, there is no way of putting an exposure correction that lowers the shutter speed beyond 1/25 (on my 600D). That makes Live View unusable in Aperture Priority.

Francis

gash

Francis, thank you! That solved the exp. compensation  problem.

So this is how it is supposed to be? Is there a reason why this limitation of shutter speed in ML exists?

magad

Yes, on normal "M" dial mode...

Out of the box. Under the "Expo" menu of ML. We (Canon EOS 600D users) can not go below 1/25 Shutter speed "only" through ML, however Canon's original firmware "CAN" go below 1/25. We can bypass it using the regular Canon's way of doing it.

I've tried changing the settings to "Exp. Override: Auto (OFF)" (other option is "ON" and "OFF", I've tried these too) don't allow me to go below 1/25 shutter with ML? I'd also like to know why is there a limit??! Any specific reasons?

glitterball

Just to confirm that this bug is still there - it means that the intervalometer is very limited on the 600d and intervalometer ramping module is pointless.

dmilligan

Quote from: glitterball on April 08, 2014, 07:59:16 PM
it means that the intervalometer is very limited on the 600d and intervalometer ramping module is pointless.

No it doesn't, it just means if you want to use shutter speeds slower than 1/25 you need to set them using regular Canon menu. I hardly ever set shutter speed from the ML menu except on my 1100D in movie mode, b/c the 1100D doesn't have manual video control from Canon, and changing it from ML is the only way to do it.

glitterball

Well I just came back from doing a sunset timelapse and can assure you that being able to ramp the shutter speed on my manual lens would have been very useful!

dmilligan

and I can assure you that you already can ;)

glitterball

Ok, please explain what I am missing.

If I go into the intervalometer ramping module, and try to set a new keyframe, I only seem to be able to select the ML values with a max of 1/24.
Where do I set a shutter speed of 2.5 seconds?
e.g. I want to start a timelapse with 2.5 seconds and finish with 4 seconds.

dmilligan

Quote from: glitterball on April 09, 2014, 04:30:31 PM
Where do I set a shutter speed of 2.5 seconds?
From the Canon menu. Leave the ramping module and the ML menu, set the shutter speed, re-enter the ML menu and the ramping menu.

Though I agree this is a PITA, it is at least *possible* to do.

glitterball

Thanks, yes you are right, it can be done.
A real PITA as you say!