ML always active?

Started by Mister Paul, December 13, 2012, 07:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Paul

Sorry for this naive question but I doubt...
In photo mode (let's say Manual or Av for instance) is Magic Lantern always on?
I mean if I don't use LiveView and don't clic on garbage icon to set parameters with ML menu, is ML active?
???

Thanks
Paul

Francis

Yes. It might not be doing much, looking for button presses (like the Trashcan) for example, but it is running.

Mister Paul

You mean that as long as I don't press on trashcan ML is only on stand by?
But as soon as I press on trashcan button, it's active and override Canon settings?

Francis

It is always active. Pressing the trashcan only opens the menu. Any setting changes you make stay.

Mister Paul

Francis

If you wish to use the camera sometimes without ML you can either use a different card that does not have ML on it, or when starting up the camera press and hold the SET button and it will not boot.

scrax

For how ML works, it's always active but his functions are active only if ON.
Something that changes canon settings can stay set that way also without ML for example focus patterns. That is same for 400Dplus.

If you want to reduce load on cpu and memory you can turn off all what you don't need in ML.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

Mister Paul

Quote from: Francis on December 13, 2012, 08:09:53 PM
If you wish to use the camera sometimes without ML you can (...) when starting up the camera press and hold the SET button and it will not boot.
Oops... it seems not to work...

Is it because of my version?
ML 2.3 with autoexec11.bin (600D Audio TEST release - 2.3 based)

nanomad

Try using an "official" nightly build. The 600D audio branch got merged there
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Mister Paul

Are the "official" nightly builds downloadable from here?
http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/

Could I use my ml settings with my actual MAGIC.CFG ?
I mean: will it be compatible or should I have to enter again all the settings from the new ML menu?

scrax

Quote from: Mister Paul on December 15, 2012, 12:23:44 AM

I mean: will it be compatible or should I have to enter again all the settings from the new ML menu?
yes only new thing will have default settings of course
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

nanomad

Quote from: Mister Paul on December 15, 2012, 12:23:44 AM

Old settings should be fine but I suggest that
- you make a backup of them first
- you delete them if you see anything strange going on
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Mister Paul

OK nanomad I'll follow your advise.

The link I provided in my previous post was the good one?